Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! First time posting on here so apologies if I breach any kind of TSR etiquette. I am an American student with a bachelors who has applied to Graduate Entry (2-year) LLB programs. So far I have 5 acceptances, one denial (LSE), and one I am still waiting to hear from (Leeds). As of now, I have it down to University of London - City and University of Birmingham.

According to the Guardian rankings City comes in at #34 for law and Birmingham comes in at #13 for law. They are the best schools I've gotten acceptances from. I am having a hard time between the two, and if the University of Leeds gives me an acceptances it might be another monkey wrench tossed into the machine. I know rankings are important, especially as a foreigner who wants to do the LPC and gain a training contract so I can stay and practice in the UK.

Here's my thoughts: I love London, it is by far my favorite city in the world that I've travelled to and I consider myself to be very well traveled. It has been a dream to live in London, I love the tube, the variety of food, and things to do. Its like NYC but better and cleaner lol. So getting an acceptance from City is exciting. I feel London will give me a lot of opportunities to network early on and if I apply for a LPC and training contract in London I feel like having a degree from the area will be a perk. It’ll also give me more opportunities for applying to more vacation schemes. However, I am very aware that there are many other top tier law schools around me such as KCL, UCL, LSE, and QM. So while City isn’t a bad law school by any means, and I’ve done very well academically in the past, it’ll be tough competition for things. So it might require me to go above and beyond to stand out, which is okay. I already have a good CV going with internships at places like Harvard and Johns Hopkins. I went to the city of Birmingham years ago, like 9 years ago, so I hardly remember anything about it sadly. Its not terribly far from London (like an hour and half train ride I believe) and the school is well ranked. I’d imagine this will appeal when applying to vacation schemes and anything else. Birmingham seems like a sizable place, I think its the 2nd biggest city in England. But its no London. I don’t feel like there would be as much networking opportunities and when I apply for vacation schemes, LPC, training contracts etc. many might be in London and will favor students from local law schools more. However, someone pointed out to me that it might give me a better chance at gaining a local TC within the city of Birmingham where competition may not be so fierce (in terms of sheer numbers at least) and favor local law students, where as in London I’ll be competing against many other schools.

I’m torn, I absolutely adore London and its future possibilities but based on pure rankings and it being a Russell uni it would seem Bham is a better choice. I’m sorry for the long post but I’d really appreciate any ideas and thoughts on which way to go. Its hard since I’m not there and don’t have advice from the people over there. I’m going to try and fly over in March or April to tour the schools but I’d really appreciate some input from the Brits. Would having top grades from a place like City and with a well rounded CV be enough to gain a TC? Or would I be better off in Bham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsquared3)
    Hello everyone! First time posting on here so apologies if I breach any kind of TSR etiquette. I am an American student with a bachelors who has applied to Graduate Entry (2-year) LLB programs. So far I have 5 acceptances, one denial (LSE), and one I am still waiting to hear from (Leeds). As of now, I have it down to University of London - City and University of Birmingham.

According to the Guardian rankings City comes in at #34 for law and Birmingham comes in at #13 for law. They are the best schools I've gotten acceptances from. I am having a hard time between the two, and if the University of Leeds gives me an acceptances it might be another monkey wrench tossed into the machine. I know rankings are important, especially as a foreigner who wants to do the LPC and gain a training contract so I can stay and practice in the UK.

Here's my thoughts: I love London, it is by far my favorite city in the world that I've travelled to and I consider myself to be very well traveled. It has been a dream to live in London, I love the tube, the variety of food, and things to do. Its like NYC but better and cleaner lol. So getting an acceptance from City is exciting. I feel London will give me a lot of opportunities to network early on and if I apply for a LPC and training contract in London I feel like having a degree from the area will be a perk. It’ll also give me more opportunities for applying to more vacation schemes. However, I am very aware that there are many other top tier law schools around me such as KCL, UCL, LSE, and QM. So while City isn’t a bad law school by any means, and I’ve done very well academically in the past, it’ll be tough competition for things. So it might require me to go above and beyond to stand out, which is okay. I already have a good CV going with internships at places like Harvard and Johns Hopkins. I went to the city of Birmingham years ago, like 9 years ago, so I hardly remember anything about it sadly. Its not terribly far from London (like an hour and half train ride I believe) and the school is well ranked. I’d imagine this will appeal when applying to vacation schemes and anything else. Birmingham seems like a sizable place, I think its the 2nd biggest city in England. But its no London. I don’t feel like there would be as much networking opportunities and when I apply for vacation schemes, LPC, training contracts etc. many might be in London and will favor students from local law schools more. However, someone pointed out to me that it might give me a better chance at gaining a local TC within the city of Birmingham where competition may not be so fierce (in terms of sheer numbers at least) and favor local law students, where as in London I’ll be competing against many other schools.

I’m torn, I absolutely adore London and its future possibilities but based on pure rankings and it being a Russell uni it would seem Bham is a better choice. I’m sorry for the long post but I’d really appreciate any ideas and thoughts on which way to go. Its hard since I’m not there and don’t have advice from the people over there. I’m going to try and fly over in March or April to tour the schools but I’d really appreciate some input from the Brits. Would having top grades from a place like City and with a well rounded CV be enough to gain a TC? Or would I be better off in Bham?
    No brainer - Brum for me. Ciy U no relation at all to U of Lon. That said I heard they pretty good in Actuarial sci, journalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsquared3)

Leeds is also a great city, it also has a really good law school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiggy98)
    No brainer - Brum for me. Ciy U no relation at all to U of Lon. That said I heard they pretty good in Actuarial sci, journalism.
    City University joint the University of London system in 2016.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...versity-london

ReputationRep:
    OIC...but I think they not in Russell Group...likewise Royal Holloway nor Goldsmith. Cheers mate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.