Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Year 8 I picked Geography as one of my subjects because (I thought) I liked it. However, I've always been confused my it. Nothing specific, it just feels vague and I feel like there isn't a logical secure structure to it. I'm relatively good at school but in Geography I have no idea what's going on and I'm bullsh*tting 75% of the time. It's too late to turn back now but I really don't know what to do because I need to get at least an 8 (A* equivalent) in Year 11 and at this rate I won't.

ReputationRep:
    What year are you in?
    If you can't change now then you'll have to find a way to cope with it. Is it that you dislike it as a subject or that a lot of what you are taught sounds vague?
    Any particular topics too?(I always found human stuff more vague)
    To get a better idea of what you need to know and better explanations, get a good revision guide and look at past papers and markschemes, they are very clear on what your answers should be.

There is plenty of logic to geography but it may be at your level - and this happens in other subjects too - that you won't be learning the entire picture. If you feel you want more knowledge to cement these ideas then go look at more advanced stuff online to make you feel better about it - but don't stress over it right now and just keep on top of things.

I hope you work it out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avalerion)
    What year are you in?
    If you can't change now then you'll have to find a way to cope with it. Is it that you dislike it as a subject or that a lot of what you are taught sounds vague?
    Any particular topics too?(I always found human stuff more vague)
    To get a better idea of what you need to know and better explanations, get a good revision guide and look at past papers and markschemes, they are very clear on what your answers should be.

There is plenty of logic to geography but it may be at your level - and this happens in other subjects too - that you won't be learning the entire picture. If you feel you want more knowledge to cement these ideas then go look at more advanced stuff online to make you feel better about it - but don't stress over it right now and just keep on top of things.

I hope you work it out!
    I'm in year 10 and I asked my teacher what board we have so that I could look for a revision book but the one that we would use comes out 21st October 2017. ONE MONTH BEFORE MY MOCKS. Really I just find it all confusing. Because I'm the first year doing the new GCSES everything has changed and relying on past papers isn't helpful for anything but maths. I'll try

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which board did your teacher say it is?
    That's annoying about the revision guide! I have the same situation in chemistry we have an new spec - I ordered the revision guide but it still hasn't arrived. It is really difficult with new specifications. Although the exam questions from the old spec tend to be similar to the new one (but it could be different for you).
    Don't worry too much about mocks if there aren't enough resources available yet - at least you'll have the guide for year 11
    Do you have a textbook for the course which you could look through and answer que from? And I know it's hard to do when you find everything difficult but try splitting up your revision into all the topics you have covered and then into smaller sub-topics. This is really useful to see what you have learnt and where your weakest areas are.

ReputationRep:
    Which board did your teacher say it is?
    That's annoying about the revision guide! I have the same situation in chemistry we have an new spec - I ordered the revision guide but it still hasn't arrived. It is really difficult with new specifications. Although the exam questions from the old spec tend to be similar to the new one (but it could be different for you).
    Don't worry too much about mocks if there aren't enough resources available yet - at least you'll have the guide for year 11
    Do you have a textbook for the course which you could look through and answer que from? And I know it's hard to do when you find everything difficult but try splitting up your revision into all the topics you have covered and then into smaller sub-topics. This is really useful to see what you have learnt and where your weakest areas are.
    my teacher said Eduqas. There is the textbook that we use in class but I don't think it's really going to do much to help. You see that's where I feel like things are vague. If you put it into smaller sub-topics it feels really confusing and like there's no structure. I need a structure and I need to feel some sort of control and in geography I really feel like it's (controlled) chaos except I'm not controlling it. How do I cover all the information when there's so much of it all happening right now at this moment. There's no set answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of information to learn in geography but you have got time to work out a strategy. If you look on the Eduqas website you will find the specifications for either geography A or B (which ever you are doing) and you can download the specification. This contains exactly what you need to know - and nothing more. It is very useful if you feel there is no structure to what you are learning because this presents everything very clearly. What topic are you on at the minute?
    As for the textbooks they are usually an overload of information, but a great skill to develop is being able to pick out key points - say on the water cycle - and condense what is on the page. Literally just pick out a few sentences from a whole paragraph that you feel are important and yes cut out vague useless waffle there may also be chapter summaries at the end or beginning of a topic to tell you what you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of information to learn in geography but you have got time to work out a strategy. If you look on the Eduqas website you will find the specifications for either geography A or B (which ever you are doing) and you can download the specification. This contains exactly what you need to know - and nothing more. It is very useful if you feel there is no structure to what you are learning because this presents everything very clearly. What topic are you on at the minute?
    As for the textbooks they are usually an overload of information, but a great skill to develop is being able to pick out key points - say on the water cycle - and condense what is on the page. Literally just pick out a few sentences from a whole paragraph that you feel are important and yes cut out vague useless waffle there may also be chapter summaries at the end or beginning of a topic to tell you what you need to know.
    Where am I supposed to get the information from? And the water cycle is easy, more science-y stuff is ok because I like science and I'm good at it, but stuff about urbanisations and global cities, how am I supposed to revise that? I feel like buying the textbook will just be a waste of my time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by français&español)
    Where am I supposed to get the information from? And the water cycle is easy, more science-y stuff is ok because I like science and I'm good at it, but stuff about urbanisations and global cities, how am I supposed to revise that? I feel like buying the textbook will just be a waste of my time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am with you on that! I always much preferred the physical/science-y side of things. As for things like urbanisation - it is more about making broad generalisations, so for example 'urbanisation is a growth of urban areas due to a growth of population in cities, this may be due to people moving there for better services/ employment etc' It isn't that specific. I would revise it by knowing what you'll be asked on and practicing answers and learning key points. And learn those cases studies (best bit eh?) Buying the textbook is probably not a waste of time since you will be able to make notes from it. As for finding information - you're teacher should be able to provide you with sheets on things you have covered (try asking for lesson PowerPoints too) and make sure you get really good notes in lessons that you can go back to and learn from.

ReputationRep:
    I am with you on that! I always much preferred the physical/science-y side of things. As for things like urbanisation - it is more about making broad generalisations, so for example 'urbanisation is a growth of urban areas due to a growth of population in cities, this may be due to people moving there for better services/ employment etc' It isn't that specific. I would revise it by knowing what you'll be asked on and practicing answers and learning key points. And learn those cases studies (best bit eh?) Buying the textbook is probably not a waste of time since you will be able to make notes from it. As for finding information - you're teacher should be able to provide you with sheets on things you have covered (try asking for lesson PowerPoints too) and make sure you get really good notes in lessons that you can go back to and learn from.
    Ah well when it comes to tests in geography it is totally crap. My school cannot form a geography test if all 2000 students' lives depended on it. Our end of year 9 test was so **** they had literally created a map and gave us no direction whatsoever (it's hard to explain but if you had seen it then you would have known). How can you look back on geography notes though? I mean you've got definitions for stuff, and examples like brownfield and greenfield we did something on horsea island and something about Waterloo idl. But most questions are relevant to a specific thing and in a (*****y) exam they're going to come up differently. Honestly I have no clue what real GCSE geography tests even look like. I can ask my teacher to put the PPs on canvas so I can access them but without the textbook it's a lil' pointless. I feel buying the text book would be a waste of money. I don't think it's going to benefit me much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.