Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To all reading,

This is my first post on here and I am just seeking advice as I have been in a really weird situation for the past few months.

Starting A-levels I went in with the end goal of doing medicine, something I've wanted to do for quite some time. However, with poor GCSE results and influences from friends, I opted to go down the marketing route and ended up applying via UCAS to management and marketing.

About a week before i handed in my UCAS, at the end of November, my grandad passed away after spending time in hospital and this made me realise that deep down i still want to do med, but it was too late at this point to apply for medicine so I just handed in my application.

Right now I'm in a position where I want to do medicine at university but I don't know what to so.

My main questions really are:

1) Will universities consider me for medicine if I reapply next year (2016/17) after withdrawing this year (2015/16).

2) Can I withdraw my application on results day?
    - If i fail to get A*A*A i will just do marketing.

3) If I get A*A*A and a good UKCAT/BMAT, but poor GCSEs (4 As and 5Bs) what are my chances of getting into med with a strong personal statement after what is really a gap year?
    - Studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

4) Is it too late for me to do med and have i messed up?

Thanks guys in advance and I really hope you can help me!

ReputationRep:
    1) This depends entirely on your results and how short they fall on the entry requirements, which will vary from uni to uni. If you have good A-levels (the three you mentioned) they override your GCSEs, like I have a HND in something making my highers/GCSEs irrelevant.

2) Have you considered applying with 'Extra'? You can add an extra course to the five you've already used up. I may be wrong but I believe you can withdraw at any time.

3) I advise against a gap year - even doing volunteering for a year or doing 'first aid' courses and such like would be better than a typical gap year.

4) Have you thought about seeing your guidance teacher to see if you can change it at last minute if you applied through the school? I honestly think it's a bit late and you're as well adding an 'Extra' option but you never know.

ReputationRep:
    Answers in bold. Good luck!
    (Original post by TheFailedMedic)

My main questions really are:

1) Will universities consider me for medicine if I reapply next year (2016/17) after withdrawing this year (2015/16). Yes, of course. Plenty of people apply post-qualification

2) Can I withdraw my application on results day?
    - If i fail to get A*A*A i will just do marketing. Yes, though it would be less hassle to withdraw beforehand. You don't need to get A*A*A, AAA is enough for most medicine courses.

3) If I get A*A*A and a good UKCAT/BMAT, but poor GCSEs (4 As and 5Bs) what are my chances of getting into med with a strong personal statement after what is really a gap year?
    - Studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Gap years are fine - plenty of people apply for deferred entry or post-A2. Come up with some ideas for what to do in it and you're sorted! Your GCSEs are relatively weak for medicine so you'd have to pick carefully, but if everything else was good then you'd still be in with a shot.

4) Is it too late for me to do med and have i messed up? Not at all.

Thanks guys in advance and I really hope you can help me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.