Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should lay down some groundwork.

I will never lie or gloss over my experience
    I will answer any questions you may have
    I will be personal
    I will ramble

There are two ways to break the ice.

If you would prefer a short, abrupt explanation of who I am, view below.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm 18
    Female
    Currently on a gap year
    I'll be volunteering in Borneo for two months in April
    I applied to university last minute to study English Literature
    I've still got to make a choice between two universities
    I'm working full time to save for university

If you'd prefer the longer version, feel free to carry on reading - I'm hiding big chunks of info in spoilers for those who aren't interested and who wish for just a quick skim, but its there if you wish to read it. Everything will be titled, so you can just pick and choose what you are interested in reading.

I am starting this blog now as a sort of online notebook, to look back upon and to share. I'll also be writing during the application process and my year out, but largely, this will be a blog that follows my experiences of university life. I'll be posting my thoughts, worries, experiences and achievements, and answering any questions that you may have, or similarly, asking questions that I may have.

This is my Gap Year background, should you be interested:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Leading up to the end of my A Levels (2016), I was in a relationship. We had been together roughly a year, and he was taking a year out. At this point in time, I really had no motivation to study - I didn't revise for my exams (Achieved BCE), didn't apply to university and didn't really consider my future. We had decided to travel together, so as not to waste a year out, however, after months of saving, and countless changed plans (partly due to my lack of interest in the location he wanted to go to, partly due to his restrictive parents), these plans fell apart, as did our relationship.

I made a last minute decision (so as not to lose nearly £1000 in deposits) to volunteer in Borneo with Camps International this April, and have as of todaypaid off the remaining £3000. By last minute, I mean I was literally sitting in the travel shop about to cancel everything, and looked up volunteering on my phone, and booked it all then and there with the travel company, STA.

You will come to realise that I am very last minute.

Since I have been working full time in this year I have taken out of education, I've been pretty isolated from that educational sphere, and it was only by chance that I realised when I came to my uni application, that the UCAS deadline was, at that time, in a week. I sat down and wrote my statement, whilst my older sister compared universities to my aforementioned grades, and then picked a few that I liked, threw my application to the College I'd just graduated from for a reference, and paid the fee.

And with that, you're up to speed.

It's 2am and I have work at 10, so I'll continue this introduction tomorrow evening.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.