Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm new to the forum, and I'm an international student from Singapore, congrats to everyone who've gotten offers already!

I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC and Liverpool for vetmed, got rejected by Liverpool pre-interview for not having enough WE (we have 0 farms and exotic places over here ). I've gotten offers from Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC and I'm really torn now!! I mean RVC has always been the dream, but both Edinburgh and Glasgow have really made an impact on me during the application process.

Was wondering if anyone could advice me? (Esp applicants and current students on why you chose that particular school!!) It's really hard for me to come visit to determine which school I like the best but I am trying for it. In the meantime I would really appreciate any advice!

Thank you in advance and good luck for all of your interviews and offers

Some factors that I would appreciate a comparison on -
    - Accommodation/Expenses
    - Course Structure
    - Environment
    - Culture (I'm an international student so I'm really worried about settling in)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by calicokittenpaws)
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm new to the forum, and I'm an international student from Singapore, congrats to everyone who've gotten offers already!

I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC and Liverpool for vetmed, got rejected by Liverpool pre-interview for not having enough WE (we have 0 farms and exotic places over here ). I've gotten offers from Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC and I'm really torn now!! I mean RVC has always been the dream, but both Edinburgh and Glasgow have really made an impact on me during the application process.

Was wondering if anyone could advice me? (Esp applicants and current students on why you chose that particular school!!) It's really hard for me to come visit to determine which school I like the best but I am trying for it. In the meantime I would really appreciate any advice!

Thank you in advance and good luck for all of your interviews and offers

Some factors that I would appreciate a comparison on -
    - Accommodation/Expenses
    - Course Structure
    - Environment
    - Culture (I'm an international student so I'm really worried about settling in)
    Hello Congratulations about your offers *^O^*

While I could not answer specific questions about vet med a user who could.

Little Tail Chaser
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering if anyone could advice me?
    Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on all your offers, that's a brilliant achievement and you should be very proud

I'm currently a second year vet student at the RVC, so I should be able to give you some pointers:

Accommodation:
    Admittedly, London isn't going to perform spectacularly if you're on a budget. Accommodation is plentiful (there are multiple halls for the RVC, some of which are reserved specifically for RVC students and some are mixed. There are other halls nearby that you can rent privately, which some (more well off) students go to in second year).

Paying for accommodation is another matter, obviously. To give you some figures, I paid £175/week to live in halls. This was inclusive of all bills including the internet, plus the room was en-suite and had a double bed. I now rent privately further away from university and pay £125/week. Water, gas, electricity, WiFi and the TV licence together come to around £7/week per person I would say, but I live with five other people which helps to spread the cost.

There's obviously a trade-off between living further away and paying less rent, and living closer and paying more for transport. Where I live currently it's possible for me to walk or cycle in (and that's coming from a very fat and lazy person ), but it would cost £3/day for me to take the bus. You can apply for a student Oyster card which will give you reduced prices for buying monthly/weekly travel cards if you make regular journeys. If you get a 16-25 Railcard too this can be added to your Oyster card to get you 1/3 off off-peak journeys if you use pay as you go instead.

RVC are quite keen that finance isn't a barrier for you studying here. There are bursaries available, although you may have to look into these yourself as I'm not up to date with whether international students are eligible. There's also hardship funds for if you ever find yourself in dire need of cash.

While London may be an expensive city to live in, to be fair I would argue that it's also fairly easy to find work if you want it. I have a couple of 0 hours contracts that help to earn that $$$. Within university there are opportunities to work, for example as a student ambassador, student technologist or in the SU bars. Year reps and some members of the SU are also paid. Outside of university there is plenty of work available too, for example bar work, retail, pet sitting, tutoring, extra-ing or working agency shifts (e.g. casual waiting).

Course Structure
    At RVC the content is taught in 'strands', for example locomotion, neurology, alimentary, reproduction, cardiovascular etc etc. In first year you pretty much do a little bit of everything, although some in more detail than others, and pretty much every strand is revisited later in the course. The upshot of this is that every year you are 'revising' the content from previous years; it's not as if in fifth year you'll suddenly be asked to write an essay about something you only studied in first year. I find this really helpful in cementing knowledge in my little noggin

RVC are super keen on supporting the fact that people learn in different ways, so we have different types of classes. Learning is mainly based on lectures (we usually have two or three per day), and this is complimented by group work sessions ('directed learning', which usually allows us to work through a clinical scenario associated with the theory taught in lectures. RVC has a reputation for being less practical, possibly because we're in central London, but I don't think that's justified at all. We have a variety of practical sessions every week, ranging from 'point to points' (looking at potted/plastinated/dissected specimens to better understand anatomy), dissections, lab classes including histology, and 'integrated structure and function' sessions, which involve live animals. We have calves and ponies on Camden campus, and in first year you'll also have entire days on the farm up in Hawkshead so it's not as if the course only gets 'hands on' in clinical years.

Environment
    Some people, specifically those not used to cities, are nervous about living in London, but they quickly settle in. London is a fantastic place to be a student, there's everything you need no matter what your interests are.

If green open spaces are what you're after, then RVC is just a short distance from Regent's Park. We can get student membership to ZSL too, which means unlimited trips to London Zoo for you and a friend for £10 per year. The halls are very close to parks too; with Primrose Hill and Hampstead Heath, and Tottenham Marshes for Mary Branker House and Emily Bowes Court respectively.

Culture
    I can appreciate this being a big thing for you, and honestly I can't think of a better place to be an international vet student than the RVC! You definitely wouldn't be alone! We're the most internationally accredited vet school in England, with the BVetMed course being recognised in Europe, Australasia and North America in addition to the UK (admittedly Glasgow and Edinburgh also have this).

International students actually start a couple of weeks before other students in first year, so there is time for you to get to know each other and get settled in. Beyond that you're fully integrated with the rest of the students; I have several international students as friends including one in my tutor group Groups that we do directed learning sessions in are switched up every year, allowing us to mingle with more people.

Don't forget that we're part of the University of London, so even if there isn't a huge community of people where you're from (I don't have the statistics but I'd say that most of the internationals here come from North America, Europe, Hong Kong and Singapore), there's bound to be more at other universities that you can meet with I have a friend that voluntarily teaches other students Japanese at UCL, for example.

--

I hope that some of this helps you in some way with your decision. Please do let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Hi LTC!
    Thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot. Your detailed info was very useful!

I'm more or less decided to choose RVC, I also have a senior from my school in Singapore studying in the RVC too, and on top of that it's always been my dream school so

Thank you!!
    I also wanted to ask about accomodation, what would be the best hall to stay in?
    Also are international students guaranteed a place in halls from second year onwards???

Thank you so much once again!

(Anyone from Edinburgh/Glasgow have any pointers??? )
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi LTC!
    Thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot. Your detailed info was very useful!

I'm more or less decided to choose RVC, I also have a senior from my school in Singapore studying in the RVC too, and on top of that it's always been my dream school so
    No worries, I look forward to you joining us in September!

Thank you!!
    I also wanted to ask about accomodation, what would be the best hall to stay in?
    I'll give you a run down of all three to help you make your mind up:

College Grove
    This is the halls that the vast majority of international students choose to stay in. In fact, it's pretty much almost exclusive to internationals. It's based on-campus, so you have like a 1 minute walk to lectures each day, which is super convenient.

In terms of location it's convenient enough. You're close to loads of stations including King's Cross, Euston, Mornington Crescent, Camden Town and Camden Road. There's a high street 5-10 mins away which has Lidl (really cheap supermarket) as well as some other options like Waitrose and Marks and Spencer (more expensive). There's also a Sainsbury's 5 mins away, which is really good for going to close to closing if you're looking for reduced stuff.

Admittedly the rooms here aren't the nicest. They're all en suite, but the rooms are quite small and the beds are smaller than single beds I believe.

Emily Bowes Court
    This is the newest halls to be used by the RVC. It's run by Unite Students rather than the university, and houses people from loads of different universities (my neighbours last year studied football coaching management ). RVC students will be housed together in in flats, though

By far the worst thing about EB in my opinion is the distance from campus. It's too far too walk It takes about 40 minutes on the train to get there. You can take a train directly from Tottenham Hale to Kings Cross on the Victoria Line, or you can change to the Overground at Highbury and Islington to go to Camden Road. The benefit of the latter is that you avoid Zone 1, so it's cheaper.

Other than that, the location is nice I find It's super close to Tottenham Marshes, which is a nature reserve along a canal, which is a really nice place to go for runs/walks As far as amenities are concerned, there is a retail park a 5 minute walk away which has pretty much everything you'd need, Lidl, Wilko (like a supermarket but mostly sell household goods rather than food and it's really cheap), ASDA Living, Argos, TX Maxx, Next, Boots... There is a small Tesco (mini supermarket) physically in the building (which is again good for picking up discounted food in the evening), as well as a gym.

As far as the flats are concerned, in my opinion they are the nicest out of all the halls. Again they are en suite, but they are bigger, including the beds which are 3/4.

Mary Branker House
    This is another halls that's run by Unite Students rather than RVC. The difference though is that Mary B is exclusively for RVC students. It has a bit of a reputation for being the most social halls for this reason.

The location is quite convenient. It's about a 20 minute walk from university. It's on a high street which again has plenty of shops to choose from including Lidl, Iceland, Tesco?, and several others.

The rooms are quite small I found, smaller than EB anyway. Beds are small singles again.

Also are international students guaranteed a place in halls from second year onwards???
    No. There's very limited space for people who want to continue to live in halls. I don't really know why you would want to, anyway, as it's possible to find private accommodation for much cheaper than the price of halls.

An exception to this would be if you wanted to apply to be Resident Coordinator in your second year. These are second year students that live in halls and assist with security matters (e.g. letting in people that have lost their keys). This requires you to be on call (i.e. not go out) for a certain number of weekends per month. I don't remember if you get paid for this or if you get reduced rent, but it's something to consider.

Thank you so much once again!
    No worries, let me know if you think of anything else to ask

ReputationRep:
    Hi LTC!
    I have a few more questions

1.I was wondering if you knew anything about the intercollegiate halls?

2. During pre-clinical years, do we still get hands on experience with animals? If so, is it very minimal or will there be a lot?

3. Just curious, but will there be a white coat ceremony?

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi LTC!
    I have a few more questions

1.I was wondering if you knew anything about the intercollegiate halls?
    I doooo... they're all catered halls. The arrangement is slightly different to the other three halls in that you don't have a flat, only your room in the corridor. There's a common room to chill out in though. I think there is also a few kitchenette type areas too. They're not massively popular with RVC students to be honest, I only went there once.

2. During pre-clinical years, do we still get hands on experience with animals? If so, is it very minimal or will there be a lot?
    Define a lot. Camden campus has ponies and calves on site that get used in practical classes (ISFs - 'Integrated Structure and Function' classes where you get to cuddle palpate them to feel for bony landmarks etc. You can also book these animals out to spend time with in your own time if you want to practice for these classes. The animals get used in oral exams so it's in your best interest to make the most of them. You'll also spend a week in first year looking after them in the morning. In the second term you're taken up to Boltons Park Farm and Hawkshead a few times to spend time working with the animals there. Those classes last the whole day and include handling the horses, dairy cows, chickens, pigs and sheep (including ear tagging, castrating etc). The Camden biological services unit has rabbits, rats, mice, hamsters etc that you get to work with as well. Finally there are opportunities to get hands on outside of timetabled classes, for example the Zoological Society have run optional rabbit, chinchilla and ferret handling classes on site, as well as symposium where we had reptiles, and things off site such as falconry experiences.

You have an ISF every month or so. I'd say that first year second term is the most hands on

3. Just curious, but will there be a white coat ceremony?
    There is! In fourth year I believe

Thank you!
    No worries

(Also for anyone that may be lurking, if I'm ignoring your PM at the moment I'm sorry but I'm super super busy currently . I will work through the backlog when I can )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.