The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

What IT course would be suitable for me

I have a question. I want to ask if the course "ITMB" is suitable for those college Leavers that have no background or awareness about business, but have awareness and experience only about Information Technology. Would these kind of students struggle in studying the course "Information Technology With Business Management", because of the fact that he/she doesn't even have basic knowledge about Accounting and Business, even though they have an interest to learn about Business based IT? And another thing I wanna ask is that does the Bsc information Technology course (from school of computer science) include a lot of programming, Web Development and coding stuff? Will I be facing these topics a lot? I don't have interest to study something very technical like programming and I am interested in studying business Related but I am worried that what if i'am unable to coup with business because I have only studies BTEC IT at college.
An advice would be highly appreciated
Original post by xhan7
I have a question. I want to ask if the course "ITMB" is suitable for those college Leavers that have no background or awareness about business, but have awareness and experience only about Information Technology. Would these kind of students struggle in studying the course "Information Technology With Business Management", because of the fact that he/she doesn't even have basic knowledge about Accounting and Business, even though they have an interest to learn about Business based IT? And another thing I wanna ask is that does the Bsc information Technology course (from school of computer science) include a lot of programming, Web Development and coding stuff? Will I be facing these topics a lot? I don't have interest to study something very technical like programming and I am interested in studying business Related but I am worried that what if i'am unable to coup with business because I have only studies BTEC IT at college.
An advice would be highly appreciated

Hi xhan7,

As with all of our Business courses at Hertfordshire Business School, there is no prerequisite for business knowledge. The first year of the course is designed to bring everyone to the same level academically. If you would like to know more about ITMB, I would advise emailing the Programme Leader, Hajre, [email protected] . He will be able to let you know about the level of business detailed included in the course.

I can't comment on the BSc Information Technology course however, if you let us know some specific questions, I can ask the School of Computer Science to answer them.

Hope this helps,
Brad
Hertfordshire Business School
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Hi Xhan7,

In regards to your questions regarding the BSc Information Technology course, it does include many aspects of Computer Science (programming, software development and design of systems and data) but it has more of a focus on the computer technology needs of people and organisations. This includes software development and acquisition, but also operations, support, and systems administrations. There is an emphasis on the application of computer technology to businesses and other organisations: how to enhance user experience and how to ensure that software solutions meet your clients needs.

In the first and second year you follow the same course structure as the students on the BSc Computer Science. However, in the second year you develop more advanced technical skills and a deeper understanding of the core topics in Information Technology.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sulina
School of Computer Science
Reply 3
Hi.

I cannot speak for the business course however, in your first year (if you choose IT) you will study the same content as those who picked computer science. It includes a module on programming, models and methods in computing, human dimensions and platforms for computing (subject to change. Check herts.ac.uk for more information).

In your second year, you can pick to stay on IT or computer science. Much like you, I did BTEC IT however I selected computer science as it is more employer friendly (however, that is your decision).

If you have any further questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Thanks,

Jay Parrack
Bsc Computer Science at University of Hertfordshire (1st Year)

Quick Reply

Latest