Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am currently an applicant for Biomed (2017/18) and I will be most probably starting my course later this year ( I am hoping to go to Uni of Surrey ). Do you guys have any tips for me regarding the course, the uni or anything in general?
    It would be of immense help to me.
    Thank you all in advance!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    AshEntropy what would you say about this?

ReputationRep:
    AshEntropy will be able to give you good advice, but I'll chuck my twopenn'orh in here.

Between now and starting, I'd make sure that any gaps in your basic chemistry have been patched - you know, if equilibria or energetics was never 'quite your thing' at A level, patch the knowledge now rather than later so you can hit the ground running.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    AshEntropy will be able to give you good advice, but I'll chuck my twopenn'orh in here.

Between now and starting, I'd make sure that any gaps in your basic chemistry have been patched - you know, if equilibria or energetics was never 'quite your thing' at A level, patch the knowledge now rather than later so you can hit the ground running.
    That's great, thanks! If you can think of anything else regarding Chemistry that i can go through again would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluerain716)
    Hello!
    I am currently an applicant for Biomed (2017/18) and I will be most probably starting my course later this year ( I am hoping to go to Uni of Surrey ). Do you guys have any tips for me regarding the course, the uni or anything in general?
    It would be of immense help to me.
    Thank you all in advance!
    Hi there!

Sorry for the late reply, I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science and I'm in my First Year. I don't go to Surrey, but I looked at your course modules and they're very very very very similar to mine (almost identical!). The reason for this is because both of our courses are accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS).

Some tips

Make sure that you understand your university's passing regulations, because they will be different for you specifically, because of the Institute of Biomedical Science accreditation. (You must get at least 40% in all modules, you can only resit 3 times, resits have a cap-mark of 40%, you can't transfer marks between modules, you can't advance into the next year without passing IBMS competency tests)

Don't let the "Bio" in "Biomedical Sciences" trick you into thinking there's no Chemistry, there's actually quite a lot. There's a lot of Energetics, Kinetics, Equilibria and Organic Chemistry. Any good A Level AQA Chemistry Textbook would help you out a lot!

Make sure you attend practicals as you will be tested on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Hi there!

Sorry for the late reply, I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science and I'm in my First Year. I don't go to Surrey, but I looked at your course modules and they're very very very very similar to mine (almost identical!). The reason for this is because both of our courses are accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS).

Some tips

Make sure that you understand your university's passing regulations, because they will be different for you specifically, because of the Institute of Biomedical Science accreditation. (You must get at least 40% in all modules, you can only resit 3 times, resits have a cap-mark of 40%, you can't transfer marks between modules, you can't advance into the next year without passing IBMS competency tests)

Don't let the "Bio" in "Biomedical Sciences" trick you into thinking there's no Chemistry, there's actually quite a lot. There's a lot of Energetics, Kinetics, Equilibria and Organic Chemistry. Any good A Level AQA Chemistry Textbook would help you out a lot!

Make sure you attend practicals as you will be tested on them.
    Hi!
    Thank you very much for the reply and I also appreciate the fact that you took time to check what my modules are!
    I hope that I'd have enough time to revise til October
    Best regards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluerain716)
    Hi!
    Thank you very much for the reply and I also appreciate the fact that you took time to check what my modules are!
    I hope that I'd have enough time to revise til October
    Best regards!
    I would also like to ask you if you could recommend me a good Chemistry textbook so I can order it online (I am not from the 🇬🇧).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.