Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'll try to keep this as short as I can.

Basically I'm 23 now, im qualified in a trade I hate and I just quit my job. After alot of bad decisions I have decided I want to study CS.

I plan to start an access course this year to start university in 2018. I would love to study abroad but I don't think an access course would allow me to do this.

I have travelled and worked in Australia and I loved it. I would like to emigrate here or somewhere similar with good weather, people and economy.

I am wondering if there is any kind of fast tracking for people with degrees? Or would I need to work for a few years after graduation to earn points for a visa? I can't wait to be out of this country so the quicker I can leave the better. I don't want to use my trade for a visa because I hate it.

Any insight will be appreciated, thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    I would do a bit of research, but if I recall, having a degree does help in the VISA process greatly for many countries.

As for CS, that is a good degree choice I'd reckon anywhere in the world.

ReputationRep:
    You will need relevant work experience on top of any degree to get enough points for Australia. They don't just accept fresh graduates.

Realistically you are looking at 5+ after graduation, and btw Australia has plenty of computer science grads of its own - they may not even be interested in you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    You will need relevant work experience on top of any degree to get enough points for Australia. They don't just accept fresh graduates.

Realistically you are looking at 5+ after graduation, and btw Australia has plenty of computer science grads of its own - they may not even be interested in you.
    Is this the same for other countries? Do they all expect you to have experience before you get accepted? I was under the impression that there is a shortage of CS grads so there would be some leeway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.