Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Big Issue watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of it?
    Have you ever bought it? How much is it? Was it worth it?

i'm asking this cos i was in town the other day and there were, as always, loads of people selling it, and i as always, walked past them all. but recently, i thought - why? maybe i should buy it to see what its like, then if i like it, maybe i should buy it often.

ReputationRep:
    I buy it. But not to read the magazine particularly... more cos I'm soft. Will have to stop buying it next year though because my outgoings on the Big Issue guy outside Sainsbury's were fairly huge!

edit: current price = £1.50. But I always give 'em more and would NEVER ask for change!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    What do you think of it?
    Have you ever bought it? How much is it? Was it worth it?

i'm asking this cos i was in town the other day and there were, as always, loads of people selling it, and i as always, walked past them all. but recently, i thought - why? maybe i should buy it to see what its like, then if i like it, maybe i should buy it often.
    Yeh go for it. I always buy it if I see any of them about although we dont get many down here. I buy it especially if they have sweet little dogs with them! It is worth the money. Some things in there I find a little boring but most things are worth a read. Its definately worth the money because its a good cause

ReputationRep:
    I always buy it if I see it. Its actually a pretty good magazine, plus it's in line with me politically, so ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I buy it. But not to read the magazine particularly... more cos I'm soft. Will have to stop buying it next year though because my outgoings on the Big Issue guy outside Sainsbury's were fairly huge!

edit: current price = £1.50. But I always give 'em more and would NEVER ask for change!
    what? i've always managed to avoid them around my town centre. i'l probably be guilt tripped into buying one al the time....is it worth reading? what's in it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I do not buy them specifically for reading them, I just will buy one, as long as the vender is badged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Well, I do not buy them specifically for reading them, I just will buy one, as long as the vender is badged.
    but surely thats the point - the reading, i mean. the fact that they get something out of it is a bonus. if i was selling them, i would want people to buy it because they thouht it was interesting, not because they felt sorry for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)

... and if the dog looks hungry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    but surely thats the point - the reading, i mean. the fact that they get something out of it is a bonus. if i was selling them, i would want people to buy it because they thouht it was interesting, not because they felt sorry for me.
    I never said i didn't read them, just not all the time.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I've never brought it is generally because I usually see the people selling it sneaking their cans of cider whilst on the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    ... and if the dog looks hungry
    One geezer was selling them here once with a really kool dog but then this stupid kid started poking it and the dog snapped at the child. Everyone then proceeded to pointedly ignore the man. Except me who gave him about 4 quid.

ReputationRep:
    the people sellin em scare me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    Why don't you give them 100 quid and maybe they could spruce up a little bit for you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    Really? All the ones ive bought copies off are really nice. They are just a bit...well...homeless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    what? i've always managed to avoid them around my town centre. i'l probably be guilt tripped into buying one al the time....is it worth reading? what's in it?
    You should try reading one. They're actually full of loads of interesting articles, much like a normal magazine really. I buy them quite frequently.

ReputationRep:
    The Big Issue bloke is really nice and even leant me some money to pay my 15p library fine (I know, I didn't have any money ) and so I always make sure I buy them from him .

ReputationRep:
    I buy it it is a good read you should try it and see if it is to your taste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    One geezer was selling them here once with a really kool dog but then this stupid kid started poking it and the dog snapped at the child. Everyone then proceeded to pointedly ignore the man. Except me who gave him about 4 quid.

heehee good doggy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    heehee good doggy
    Lol, yeh thats what I said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I buy it it is a good read you should try it and see if it is to your taste.
    i will next time i'm in town

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.