Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Staggering wealth gap in the world - Gulf royal buys entire London car park Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    If you are suggesting that the money has ended up in the wrong hands, then that is a different topic of conversation. However, to question the legitimacy of their wealth is silly.
    It certainly is not silly to question it. They are corrupt monarchies, installed by the British and Americans, to play the role of local controllers in the oil machinery. They enjoy oligarchical profits in tandem with little democracy and plenty of human rights abuse, backed up by our weapons systems and money.

Yes, it needs questioning.

ReputationRep:
    So... My question here is "How do you want to tax a foreign national who chooses to spend their money in London."

If they earn their money in a foreign country and import their money from said foreign country to spend in England, how do you know what to tax and how much? There is already a luxury tax on real estate, which escalates with cost up to 50% of the real estate.

Should we just hold up wealthy people who choose to come here and rob them at gunpoint?

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
      He isn't, he's withdrawing it from the public domain.
      The people who previously owned it have sold it for more than it was worth to them to keep it, so they have gained more money than they would otherwise have, which means they now have greater means to fund the construction of more infrastructure.

ReputationRep:
      He isn't, he's withdrawing it from the public domain.
      Quite right! This space had only been lying unused and unwanted for a few years. It is a travesty that such assets should fall into the hands of people that will use them when they could be preserved in a state of charming neglect for posterity.

How will the local inhabitants stand the prospect of having to fill the spaces left by his cars no longer being parked in other car parks?

What is worse, it could encourage him to bring in and use these cars on British roads, burdening British insurance companies with profits they don't want and the DVLA with VED it would rather went elsewhere. The local petrol stations will be distraught at the possibility of having to fill his tainted vehicles.

Shocking!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Good bloke)
      Quite right! This space had only been lying unused and unwanted for a few years. It is a travesty that such assets should fall into the hands of people that will use them when they could be preserved in a state of charming neglect for posterity.

How will the local inhabitants stand the prospect of having to fill the spaces left by his cars no longer being parked in other car parks?

What is worse, it could encourage him to bring in and use these cars on British roads, burdening British insurance companies with profits they don't want and the DVLA with VED it would rather went elsewhere. The local petrol stations will be distraught at the possibility of having to fill his tainted vehicles.

Shocking!
      Yes because that's exactly what we need. More noisy, unreliable, heavily polluting vehicles in London.

ReputationRep:
      It certainly is not silly to question it. They are corrupt monarchies, installed by the British and Americans, to play the role of local controllers in the oil machinery. They enjoy oligarchical profits in tandem with little democracy and plenty of human rights abuse, backed up by our weapons systems and money.

Yes, it needs questioning.
      If you had read what I had written, then you would have realised that I am not commenting on whether the wealth had been distributed to the right people. In fact, all I am saying is that their wealth is legitimate and was gained through market demand.

Even so, before you go on some beguiling rant, you should be able to support your points with reason and evidence. It is not helpful nor productive to list a load of unfounded accusations, especially in suggesting Arab monarchies are a "British and American..." plot purposed to manipulate the oil-market.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cbreef)
      Yes because that's exactly what we need. More noisy, unreliable, heavily polluting vehicles in London.
      It is shocking isn't it? These cars will be driven for as much as twenty miles every year and add significantly to London's bad air quality. The increase in local garage business of a pitiful one service a year for each vehicle just isn't worth the trouble.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jake4198)
      Even so, before you go on some beguiling rant
      How dare you gainsay Fullofsurprise's perfectly reasonable and rational arguments. She only adds to the force of her discourse when she eloquently insults people and it is all completely justified by the travesty being perpetrated by this criminal who is trying to foist his money on innocent British taxpayers by the foul means of inheriting it and spending it on follies.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Good bloke)
      It is shocking isn't it? These cars will be driven for as much as twenty miles every year and add significantly to London's bad air quality. The increase in local garage business of a pitiful one serve a year for each vehicle just isn't worth the trouble.
      Well if they're only being driven "20 miles a year" then some of those economic benefits of yours are cancelled out.
      But personally I don't believe they'll only get driven 20 miles a year, probably quite a lot more than that actually, therefore it'll only contribute to the deaths caused by air pollution

ReputationRep:
      Well if they're only being driven "20 miles a year" then some of those economic benefits of yours are cancelled out.
      But personally I don't believe they'll only get driven 20 miles a year, probably quite a lot more than that actually, therefore it'll only contribute to the deaths caused by air pollution
      You have a point. Collections of valuable cars are notorious for the amount of traffic they generate from the cars in the collection, and their owners are famous for their reckless behaviour when driving them.

In this case it is particularly ominous as he only has 80 of them, and he could probably drive every single one of them every single day. Shocking!

ReputationRep:
      All of this is irrelevant and we're getting away from the key points. Which are:

A). To our knowledge, this person hasn't done anything wrong. We don't know who he is, the newspaper made a vague reference to some Gulf prince but nothing else beyond that. The rest is pure conjecture.

B) This parking space is private property just like your house or any other private property from the millions that exist in the UK. FoS's suggestion that someone buying property is taking it off the commons (or however she phrased it) is, I hope is very clear, absurd. If that were so, we'd all have to sell (or maybe gift?) our homes and our properties to the state to avoid taking them from the "public" and have some other way, other than bidding in the market, to distribute them. As it stands, people buy property with money and the person with the most money can buy the most property.

To reiterate about point A) - If someone has evidence to the contrary, let him/her present it. I'd love to see it. And if FoS wants to argue against private property in general, she needs an independent argument. That somehow buying this particular kind of property is a crime against the public but her parents or me or you buying a home is not is not gonna cut it.

ReputationRep:
      Ah, the classical solution to the wealth gap: tax the wealthy more. Rather than introducing more taxation, why not try and make the current system work?

ReputationRep:
      Didn't you all want capitalism?

ReputationRep:
      To store his collection of 80 supercars.
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...21million.html

It's a 130 space underground car park in Kensington.

Clearly the nondom system, the tax system, the luxury tax system and the planning laws are not working.

We need a radical change, with proper levels of taxation on the super rich and high rates of adverse taxation on the global class of oligarchs and plutocrats who want to make London their private playground.
      I never understand why people have supercars in London. The traffic is so effing slow, you're not exactly going to be picking up speed...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lh030396)
      I never understand why people have supercars in London. The traffic is so effing slow, you're not exactly going to be picking up speed...
      Supercars are a status symbol and nothing else. This guy has 80 of them. 80. I don't even think I've purchased 80 different pairs of sock in my lifetime let alone supercars.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by the bear)
      the guy must be an extreme clunge magnet
      Depends. 80 supercars may be compensating for falling short in a certain area...

ReputationRep:
      Mail Online comments section is giving me LIFE right now!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
      Unfortunately, most of that 20 miles a year consists of blasting it round London at insane speeds with apparent total immunity from prosecution. Policeman approaches. Diplomatic passport waved. "Thank you sir, that will do nicely sir, please continue to terrorise the streets". It would be too much of a leap to assume that the Met are repeatedly instructed not to interfere with the driving antics of obviously very rich drivers, as it may cause harm to the inflows of cash into money laundering accounts in the City.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lh030396)
      Yet amazingly, they manage it.

Central London in summer is made almost unbearable by these ridiculous people and their 'cars'.

ReputationRep:
      Yet amazingly, they manage it.

Central London in summer is made almost unbearable by these ridiculous people and their 'cars'.
      You know there are purpose built tracks to drive these machines on all over the place but no, they'd rather blast through the crowded streets at twice the speed limit :congrats:. It's basically their way of saying "Look how good I am peasants".

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.