Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,starting law degree at the end of the year with open university ,w101&w102
    Can anyone advice with course details ,I want to do some studying before then but don't know the best recourses to use.Has anyone got any help for me ?? I'm trying to be ahead when I join ,as I'm going to be studying full time so want some studying before then
    Any books in particular or course
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou196)
    Hi,starting law degree at the end of the year with open university ,w101&w102
    Can anyone advice with course details ,I want to do some studying before then but don't know the best recourses to use.Has anyone got any help for me ?? I'm trying to be ahead when I join ,as I'm going to be studying full time so want some studying before then
    Any books in particular or course
    You don't need to study in advance, because the introductory modules teach you about how to study as well as the subject. So you will find that the first few weeks are not as intense as you're imagining.

If you do want to read anything before you start, they recommend something like Good Essay Writing or The Good Study Guide - or if you have a Kindle, Essay writing is free!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You don't need to study in advance, because the introductory modules teach you about how to study as well as the subject. So you will find that the first few weeks are not as intense as you're imagining.

If you do want to read anything before you start, they recommend something like Good Essay Writing or The Good Study Guide - or if you have a Kindle, Essay writing is free!
    Sorry to hijack the post, just looked at those books and brought the Good Study Guide. I'm interested in buying the Good Essay Writing book too but not sure if i would benefit as I'm not doing social sciences in October I'm doing Computing and IT. Would i benefit from reading that book or is there a more specific one for my course, cheers.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmandan90)
    Sorry to hijack the post, just looked at those books and brought the Good Study Guide. I'm interested in buying the Good Essay Writing book too but not sure if i would benefit as I'm not doing social sciences in October I'm doing Computing and IT. Would i benefit from reading that book or is there a more specific one for my course, cheers.
    I would recommend that you work through the maths quizzes and also maths help if you identify any weak areas.

I've attached Preparing Assignments which might be more useful for you than the essay writing - but it does depend which modules you choose as your free choice. You'll also need to write a project at some point which will be similar to a long essay; this will be at stage 2 or 3 so you might want to buy the essay writing book at that stage.

If you look at OpenLearn you'll find short extracts from some of the modules, such as this introductory IT course. You'll see what your courses will be like, although some of the free ones are older so you might find yours uses more up to date facts figures and software
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfpreparing-assignments.pdf (408.2 KB, 87 views)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.