Imperial College London
London

Admission policy regarding gap year to self-study Further Maths to enter JMC

My results are currently
A* (90%) - Mathematics
B (78%) - Physics
C (67%) - Economics
c (65%) - Thinking Skils
and I have finished my 2 year Junior college course. Also I'm an international student.

My school didn't offer F.Maths to me so I intend to self-study and take the exams on November 2017. I also plan to retake Physics and (Mathematics if necessary to enter Imperial though one sitting).

My question is:
Would Imperial accept me if I get the required grades (or higher due to the retakes) or would that not be possible due to the competition for places in this university?
Is it required to take the A-level exams in one-sitting?
Are retakes a red-flag and make me less competitive for places?
i would like to know also. I currently am doing maths and further maths and and considering doing another year to do physics in a year. Is this less appealing to imperial?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Already done this so rest assured I can clarify this in one go, as also I've been given an offer for BSc Geology October 2017.

Answering your questions in order:

1. Yes, they do not discriminate any sort of background information of the applicant what ever the situation, including retakes.
2. No, if they do ask in the interview; you need to reassure them that you can handle the workload in Uni since exams aren't so flexible in Uni.
3. Already asked this :colonhash: - Doesn't matter whats so ever. Just remember to make your personal statement spot on, as while you were studying for your exams privately, you could have read professional articles in your free time, took an internship and/or workshop in your subject of interest and so on.

Remember, grades alone won't get you in; your interview seals the deal, and the only way to be invited to the interview process is to nail your personal statement.
Reply 3
That's good to hear, I was just hit with the news Cambridge wouldn't accept that haha😅
Original post by Stoke123
Already done this so rest assured I can clarify this in one go, as also I've been given an offer for BSc Geology October 2017.

Answering your questions in order:

1. Yes, they do not discriminate any sort of background information of the applicant what ever the situation, including retakes.
2. No, if they do ask in the interview; you need to reassure them that you can handle the workload in Uni since exams aren't so flexible in Uni.
3. Already asked this :colonhash: - Doesn't matter whats so ever. Just remember to make your personal statement spot on, as while you were studying for your exams privately, you could have read professional articles in your free time, took an internship and/or workshop in your subject of interest and so on.

Remember, grades alone won't get you in; your interview seals the deal, and the only way to be invited to the interview process is to nail your personal statement.

Original post by Zayce
That's good to hear, I was just hit with the news Cambridge wouldn't accept that haha😅

I actually disagree slightly with Stoke here. I got into Imperial JMC three years ago and honestly, I'd focus on your grades more than your personal statement, although they do give it a read and will ask you about it in the interview should you get one. I'm not sure about how they see retakes though. I only drafted my personal statement once!
Original post by yl95
I actually disagree slightly with Stoke here. I got into Imperial JMC three years ago and honestly, I'd focus on your grades more than your personal statement, although they do give it a read and will ask you about it in the interview should you get one. I'm not sure about how they see retakes though. I only drafted my personal statement once!

I never said 'your grades aren't important, only your PS'.
Getting decent grades is all fine and dandy, but it's not going to get an applicant into a competitive course when everyone is applying with the same grades.
Regarding the subject of retakes, I've retaken my Physics + Chemistry twice after leaving school, so trust me I'm pretty confident they couldn't care less unless the applicant is genuinely interesting + has potential.

How do you think people whom applied with 4 A*+ got rejected then?

Sure you only drafted your PS once, but did you ever consider the level of competition for the course you applied to, the number of applicants that year, the strength of your PS + Interview etc.

People believing grades is all that matters are as ignorant as someone applying for a physical job when they have no work experiance.
Original post by Stoke123
I never said 'your grades aren't important, only your PS'.
Getting decent grades is all fine and dandy, but it's not going to get an applicant into a competitive course when everyone is applying with the same grades.
Regarding the subject of retakes, I've retaken my Physics + Chemistry twice after leaving school, so trust me I'm pretty confident they couldn't care less unless the applicant is genuinely interesting + has potential.

How do you think people whom applied with 4 A*+ got rejected then?

Sure you only drafted your PS once, but did you ever consider the level of competition for the course you applied to, the number of applicants that year, the strength of your PS + Interview etc.

People believing grades is all that matters are as ignorant as someone applying for a physical job when they have no work experiance.

I never interpreted your post as saying that your grades aren't important which is why I said 'I actually disagree slightly with Stoke' not 'I actually disagree completely with Stoke'. My point in my post was that I disagree with the personal statement having to be 'spot on'. Yes, I do think it's important to include relevant books and experience you have but as long as the important content is there, it's fine. People who got 4A* could have been rejected for many reasons including the interview, of course. Perhaps they didn't demonstrate their interest in the subject enough and only mentioned cliched books/documentaries that they like?

Yes, I definitely did take into account the competition, especially given the fact that I applied to Oxford as well! I would add that my personal statement wasn't exactly shabby but it wasn't the most artistic either.

Being in my final year at Imperial and having met many students and heard from admissions tutors as a student on how they accept students, I do think that my points hold true to at least some extent. It's also worth noting that you applied for Geology, which is in a completely different department to Computing! I transferred to Maths in the first few weeks of first year and the Department really doesn't give a donkey's on your personal statement while, say, Medicine will look at your personal statement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
From what I heard, JMC is the hardest degree at Imperial. The workload is intense and difficult and is more than doing straight maths or computing. If you can't meet the requirements over two years of doing A levels then it's very unlikely they'll see you fit for the course.

It is just one of five options though so nothing to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending