Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    1. I am guessing at the figures but I highly doubt it would be less then a grand probably a few grand.
    Very different to tens of thousands

2. Exactly the average man does not stand a chance against these guys. Maybe not for hundreds of thousands in legal fees but at best the average joe would spend hundreds in legal fees.
    Very different to hundreds of thousands.

Note though A rapist got something like 3 months because his family were rich and could afford magic circle Lawyers as you put. Where as some people get five years for smoking pot or petty vandalism. Heck if I got in a fight with that rich Rapist, lets say I go to defend the next girl when he is in the process of attempting a rape I punch him and knock him out he falls and breaks his arm. His magic Circle Lawyers would have me doing 15 years to life and you know it.
    As I put it? I didn't make up the term Magic Circle. I don't know why you're still talking about the law when you clearly don't understand it.

1. Magic Circle firms don't really deal with criminal matters with the exception of white collar crime
    2. Breaking an arm is most likely going to be ABH, the maximum sentence for which is five years.
    3. Private prosecutions are rare. No matter how rich the 'victim' was you'd likely be prosecuted by whoever the CPS assigned to the case.

in fact they wouldn't even need a reason they could invent one eg the guy could decide He doesn't like me and have some Magic Circle lawyers come up with BS and I could be doing life before I know it.
    No you couldn't. Good lawyers are exactly that; good lawyers not wizards (despite the suggestive name of the MC)

They can say if you continue to bank with us here are the change of terms if your over drawn or owe them money the only way out is to find someone else to transfer the debt to not something that can always be assured.
    Yes banks can change their terms but they can't change the terms of a particular contract without a term in the original contract that gives them the authority to. If you sign a contract that gives a bank the power to alter terms of your contract you can't feel hard done by when they do.

point 4, well yeah the currency gets devalued etc but so does everyone else's we are something like £1.8 trillion in debt and it is increasing all the time not only do we have very little hope of ever paying that off, we have very little hope of ever getting to a point where we are not running at a deficit for any significant period of time.

You really think adding another 30-40 Billion to our debt is a story it isn't its effectively nonsense magic numbers at this point.
    That's part of the benefit of a fiat currency, if one loses value they don't all suddenly lose value. You've gone miles off topic but the simple fact is having a fiat currency doesn't mean a government can just print more money to fight a legal battle against a bank. Even if they could it wouldn't make a difference; banks essentially create anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Very different to tens of thousands

Very different to hundreds of thousands.

As I put it? I didn't make up the term Magic Circle. I don't know why you're still talking about the law when you clearly don't understand it.

1. Magic Circle firms don't really deal with criminal matters with the exception of white collar crime
    2. Breaking an arm is most likely going to be ABH, the maximum sentence for which is five years.
    3. Private prosecutions are rare. No matter how rich the 'victim' was you'd likely be prosecuted by whoever the CPS assigned to the case.

No you couldn't. Good lawyers are exactly that; good lawyers not wizards (despite the suggestive name of the MC)

Yes banks can change their terms but they can't change the terms of a particular contract without a term in the original contract that gives them the authority to. If you sign a contract that gives a bank the power to alter terms of your contract you can't feel hard done by when they do.

That's part of the benefit of a fiat currency, if one loses value they don't all suddenly lose value. You've gone miles off topic but the simple fact is having a fiat currency doesn't mean a government can just print more money to fight a legal battle against a bank. Even if they could it wouldn't make a difference; banks essentially create anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I understand that it literally isnt magic but I have witnessed some pretty shoddy things in the business world. One of the worst been a company that was able to charge for services they either did not provide, performed poorly in or just outright destroyed the value of the goods. They were able to change the hourly bills hire staff for free and pay nothing to their creditors and charge in full to everyone else by busting the business and buying from third and fourth companies that also went bust and sold to their other company. Selling the lawsuit for the debt.

This case is yet to go to court so i cant mention the companies involved, However bad company in this case is run by a hedge fund with a lot of money behind it.

What I am describing is fraudulent you don't need to tell me that but these guys have been going for decades what they are doing here is likely the norm and every day business for them they know with the right lawyers they can get away with this. As I have said these people have been going for a long time they don't make moves like this unless they truly believe they can get away with it.

I can't say whether they will win doing this However Sadly I believe their is a very strong chance they might. After witnessing this I have lost all faith in the justice system entirely. I do not believe we have justice in our society merely who has the best Lawyers, sure if I committed a crime or fraud I would likely end up in prison but that is simply because I am not a millionaire/billionaire. If I had that sort of money I could get away with literally anything. Brock turner got six Months for heck sake.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand that it literally isnt magic but I have witnessed some pretty shoddy things in the business world. One of the worst been a company that was able to charge for services they either did not provide, performed poorly in or just outright destroyed the value of the goods. They were able to change the hourly bills hire staff for free and pay nothing to their creditors and charge in full to everyone else by busting the business and buying from third and fourth companies that also went bust and sold to their other company. Selling the lawsuit for the debt.

This case is yet to go to court so i cant mention the companies involved, However bad company in this case is run by a hedge fund with a lot of money behind it.

What I am describing is fraudulent you don't need to tell me that but these guys have been going for decades what they are doing here is likely the norm and every day business for them they know with the right lawyers they can get away with this. As I have said these people have been going for a long time they don't make moves like this unless they truly believe they can get away with it.

I can't say whether they will win doing this However Sadly I believe their is a very strong chance they might. After witnessing this I have lost all faith in the justice system entirely. I do not believe we have justice in our society merely who has the best Lawyers, sure if I committed a crime or fraud I would likely end up in prison but that is simply because I am not a millionaire/billionaire. If I had that sort of money I could get away with literally anything. Brock turner got six Months for heck sake.
    It doesn't matter if this has yet to go to court there is no reason you can't disclose the name of the parties involved. I really don't understand what you're trying to say so unless you say a name I'm inclined to believe you've just made this up.

Brock Turner is American, they're court system is very different to ours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    It doesn't matter if this has yet to go to court there is no reason you can't disclose the name of the parties involved. I really don't understand what you're trying to say so unless you say a name I'm inclined to believe you've just made this up.

Brock Turner is American, they're court system is very different to ours.
    Yeah well I dont know the implications of posting allegations against such organizations online. I would need to seek legal advice before I felt comfortable naming the parties.

Their may be no risk or consequences but I don't know that. so no I don't feel comfortable once this case is resolved I can mention the names and companies involved.

are you seriously telling me that you believe Brock Turner wouldn't have a similar result over here?

Didn't we have a certain celebrity who was found to be a pedophile after they died in this country? it never went to court for a reason. He had to much power behind him he was untouchable.

You want to sue the banks go ahead I will seriously be rooting for you but I don't hold out hope of your success.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well I dont know the implications of posting allegations against such organizations online. I would need to seek legal advice before I felt comfortable naming the parties.

Their may be no risk or consequences but I don't know that. so no I don't feel comfortable once this case is resolved I can mention the names and companies involved.

are you seriously telling me that you believe Brock Turner wouldn't have a similar result over here?

Didn't we have a certain celebrity who was found to be a pedophile after they died in this country? it never went to court for a reason. He had to much power behind him he was untouchable.

You want to sue the banks go ahead I will seriously be rooting for you but I don't hold out hope of your success.
    I can advise you, just say 'the company accused of this is called...' - there's nothing libellous in that statement.

I'm telling you I don't believe for a second that the Brock Turner case would have had the same result here. Jimmy Saville is completely different, he was convicted after death because several of the victims were disgusted at the love he was getting after what he'd done to them. Many didn't come forward while he was alive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweyn)
    Student Finance debts are to be sold. There are many, many students who are 10s of thousands of pounds in debt and already feel we didn`t get value from our uni courses. How will we feel when the heavy hand of venture capitalists start making life very difficult
    debts are to be paid.
    end off.

ReputationRep:
    The first tranche of student loan was sold to Erudio. They issued threatening letters even though salary thresholds had not been reached. Other manipulative measures were enacted and Martin Lewis, Money Supermarket did a fine job on highlighting what was going. So a big YES, terms of loans have been changed.
    Another attempt to sell off loans was attempted in 2014 but was blocked by Vince Cable.
    The sale of this tranche is thought to affect 450,000 students. Thats a lot of misery.
    Have any current students thoughts on servicing their future debts of £65,000 + They face payments of £214 per month for 30 years and still be open to harassment as the principle sum has not been reduced! The payments are for interest only!!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.