Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's a letter that I wrote to SFE about my enquiry (and not receiving a coherent response). It's long as I have quite a unique set of mitigating circumstances. Please respond accordingly:
    "I am writing this letter for the fourth time in 3 years. So I am going to give the basics of what happened, why I qualify for mitigating circumstances, and therefore why I should receive additional years of Student Finance. I attended University of Sheffield in 2011. I completed my first year whilst receiving a Tuition Fee of £3000 and a Maintenance Loan & Grant amounting to around £6000. This was the same for the second year, however I did not complete my second semester of my second year as my studies were interrupted due to illness, but still went on to receive full finance. My illness left me in a coma for 40 days, and a further hospitalisation for 7 months. I could not stop my finance for two reasons; I had contractual obligations with a friend for our accommodation and still had to fulfil it, and since I was in hospital (and still suffering from amnesia), I didn’t have the means to inform SFE. So I was paid two years worth of finance there. After taking a hiatus, I decided to study again, but at a institution close to home as my disabilities wouldn’t have let me live on my own. I also had amnesia so I had to restart my academia from the beginning, hence I took the option to study engineering with a foundation year at the University of Manchester. Unfortunately, I didn’t meet the required module grades to progress onto the next year. I received a £9000 tuition fee loan for this year, meaning I have received a total of 3 years worth of loans. The reasons for my unsuccessful result at Manchester were mostly because of my disabilities and struggling to assimilate to a disabled students life. Hence I took another year out to recuperate and weigh-up my options. I am hoping to study this September at another institution but I will have to move away from home, meaning I will require a maintenance loan too. I will however be starting from year one meaning I will be picking up from where I left off in Manchester, so no more additional years are required here. I will now be requiring 4 years worth of loans again. So this means a total of 7 years of finance. This exceeds the rules set forth by Student Finance, but I truly believe I have genuine mitigating circumstances for this. I have attached a letter from my neuro-physiotherapist as evidence of my illness and disabilities. I have sent this before, but I’ll send it again to reinforce the idea that I have genuine mitigating circumstances due to my amnesia and the disabling effects of my illness and require additional years to my finance."
    Upon review of these circumstances, am I eligible to receive SFE for this course, and if so, what details will I have to send?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous years of study.

If you start a new 3 year course, you would only receive a Tuition Fee Loan for 2 of the years and this would be awarded in years 2 and 3. You would not receive a Tuition Fee Loan in your first year.

If you had to withdraw from your previous course due to illness we may consider your extenuating circumstances. You may be eligible to receive an additional year of finance.

You would need to make an application and then send a letter to SFE explaining your compelling personal reasons. Evidence would be required ie letter from your doctor and a letter from the university you withdrew from.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne SFE)
    Hi

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous years of study.

If you start a new 3 year course, you would only receive a Tuition Fee Loan for 2 of the years and this would be awarded in years 2 and 3. You would not receive a Tuition Fee Loan in your first year.

If you had to withdraw from your previous course due to illness we may consider your extenuating circumstances. You may be eligible to receive an additional year of finance.

You would need to make an application and then send a letter to SFE explaining your compelling personal reasons. Evidence would be required ie letter from your doctor and a letter from the university you withdrew from.

Thanks
    But would suffering from amnesia allow me to exceed the limits set forth by SFE? And do I have to obtain a letter from my previous university? Its been 4 years since my last attendance so I'm not sure how much information they would have of me and getting in touch with the right personnel maybe troublesome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.