The Student Room Group

Return to University - what's available to me?

I initially went to university straight after sixth form. In hindsight I wasn't ready for it and felt pretty burnt out with education (as my disappointing results showed) but with the changes to fees being made I stupidly went through clearing and attended university. My A level results were A, B, C (History, Physics, Maths) having been predicted A, A, A. Retrospectively I was probably suffering from mental health problems at the time.

Anyway I attended university, passed the first year with few problems.

First semester of second year went well and then I well and truly ended up in a rut after christmas. My mental health declined quite rapidly, I had chronic migraines and just struggled with living. I got medicated for the migraines and ended up being granted a repeat year due to mitigating circumstances.

That summer I had counselling provided by an adoption charity (I was adopted as a baby and they had services available at the time) and stupidly reasoned I was 'fixed' and returned to have a second shot of my second year. This went terribly and I dropped out properly that January to start an advanced apprenticeship (with a company that went bust a year later, leaving me high and dry). I got an HNC in mechanic engineering as a consolation prize for the modules I completed.

I am now in my mid 20s, and having done a few jobs, started a small business and generally grown to be quite happy and confident with myself I feel like higher education is something I should return to. My lack of degree has held me back significantly (which led to me starting my own business, the alternative is minimum wage and zero hour contracts in unskilled work) and I feel I need to change this.

tl;dr:
Completed first year of university
Failed Second year
Granted repeat year due to mitigating circumstances
Dropped out while repeating year
Would like to return to university

My financial situation:
I have no savings, I live invoice to invoice.
I believe I can get 1 more year of student finance for my final year of whatever I study.
My student debt is pre-2011.

What are my options as far as student finance is concerned? Can I claim back those two years where I struggled with my mental health? Would I be better off seeking other avenues of financing higher education?

Thanks for your help.
Original post by anon531
I initially went to university straight after sixth form. In hindsight I wasn't ready for it and felt pretty burnt out with education (as my disappointing results showed) but with the changes to fees being made I stupidly went through clearing and attended university. My A level results were A, B, C (History, Physics, Maths) having been predicted A, A, A. Retrospectively I was probably suffering from mental health problems at the time.

Anyway I attended university, passed the first year with few problems.

First semester of second year went well and then I well and truly ended up in a rut after christmas. My mental health declined quite rapidly, I had chronic migraines and just struggled with living. I got medicated for the migraines and ended up being granted a repeat year due to mitigating circumstances.

That summer I had counselling provided by an adoption charity (I was adopted as a baby and they had services available at the time) and stupidly reasoned I was 'fixed' and returned to have a second shot of my second year. This went terribly and I dropped out properly that January to start an advanced apprenticeship (with a company that went bust a year later, leaving me high and dry). I got an HNC in mechanic engineering as a consolation prize for the modules I completed.

I am now in my mid 20s, and having done a few jobs, started a small business and generally grown to be quite happy and confident with myself I feel like higher education is something I should return to. My lack of degree has held me back significantly (which led to me starting my own business, the alternative is minimum wage and zero hour contracts in unskilled work) and I feel I need to change this.

tl;dr:
Completed first year of university
Failed Second year
Granted repeat year due to mitigating circumstances
Dropped out while repeating year
Would like to return to university

My financial situation:
I have no savings, I live invoice to invoice.
I believe I can get 1 more year of student finance for my final year of whatever I study.
My student debt is pre-2011.

What are my options as far as student finance is concerned? Can I claim back those two years where I struggled with my mental health? Would I be better off seeking other avenues of financing higher education?

Thanks for your help.

You would need to apply for Compelling Personal Circumstances for your 2 attempts at second year - to do this you need evidence (doctors notes and letters from your counsellors ideally) to prove that both times you failed the year were down to medical circumstances.

You're right that without this you would not get funding for the first 2 years of a new course.

I'd recommend applying early for student finance (as soon as it opens in early March) and getting evidence together ASAP to support your claim for CPR.

At the same time when you apply for other courses ask about entry into year 2 using your prior study/apprenticeship modules. That way if only one of your previous 2nd year attempts is approved for CPR then you'd be starting in 2nd year and would get funded (or if your CPR request is refused entirely then you'd only have one unfunded year).

During unfunded years you would still be able to get a maintenance loan - it's the tuition fee loan that wouldn't be available. So also looking into options to study at FE colleges or universities offering bursaries or fee waivers/discounts is worthwhile.

Lastly it might be best to look into studying with Open University - for distance learning you can only get tuition fee loans but the number of years of previous study allowed is much higher and so it's often possible to use this route when other routes aren't available.
Hi

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous years of study.

If you start a new 3 year course, you would only receive a Tuition Fee Loan for 2 of the years and this would be awarded in years 2 and 3. You would not receive a Tuition Fee Loan in your first year.

If you had to withdraw from your previous course due to illness we may consider your extenuating circumstances. You may be eligible to receive an additional year of finance.

You would need to make an application and then send a letter to SFE explaining your compelling personal reasons. Evidence would be required ie letter from your doctor and a letter from the university you withdrew from.

Thanks
Original post by Anne SFE
Hi

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous years of study.

If you start a new 3 year course, you would only receive a Tuition Fee Loan for 2 of the years and this would be awarded in years 2 and 3. You would not receive a Tuition Fee Loan in your first year.

If you had to withdraw from your previous course due to illness we may consider your extenuating circumstances. You may be eligible to receive an additional year of finance.

You would need to make an application and then send a letter to SFE explaining your compelling personal reasons. Evidence would be required ie letter from your doctor and a letter from the university you withdrew from.

Thanks

OP has 3 years of previous study (2 attempts at second year - the repeat year was granted due to mitigating circumstances *by the university* not granted CPR)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending