Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I have accepted an offer to do my PGCE in September 2017.
    I am currently working in a school as a residential teacher so my address is the school address.

    Next year I won't be living at home as I will be living at my boyfriend's house and I was wondering if I would still need to give details of my parents income.
    I am not financially dependent on them but I am 23 and we are not estranged.

    As I am not living at home, I would like to get as much as I can for the maintenance loan to contribute to bills/food etc.

    My parents have a high joint income so if I go from that I would only be given around £2k for the year.

    How do I go about applying for student finance and do I still need to give my parents household income?
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    A student under 25 can be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of their course. The three years can include periods when they were:
    • In paid full-time employment
    • In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    • In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    • Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

    The three years of self support do not need to be consecutive.

    If you are unable to provide evidence of self support for a 3 year period then you would still be assessed on your parent’s income.

    • Thread Starter

    My mum will be retiring in July so do I put their income as of September as that is when the course starts?

    Thank you
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.