Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently on an undergraduate programme as a mature student and my issue is that nearly everyone is very very competitive on my course; I'll admit I like to brag a bit if I got a high mark but that's only because I'm proud; however, what can I do to combat the ones who are either rubbing it in my face or just have a real issue and somewhat addiction to how well they're being assessed? I know this issue sounds petty but for example; if I don't do as well as them for whatever reason: I didn't revise as much or didn't cheat, they'll make it well know they did better than me which really puts me down. I feel bad enough that I'm 30 and only just starting my degree due to lifestyle changes, factors of circumstance and so forth. I know there is nothing I can do to stop it but it channels into my mind and thoughts and I dwell on it to the point where I just want to shut them up but I realise doing this I am becoming one of them.

What can I do/you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Other than confronting them on it all you can really do is bite your tongue and bare through it. Can't stop jerks being jerks unfortunately.

I think I'd personally take it as an incentive to study harder and show them all up - but I'm totally one for competitiveness like that haha. I remember one time sat in a class pretty smug when people were saying some other girl got the highest mark in the class at 76%, and I was sat there silent with my 87%.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by sinfonietta)
    I think I'd personally take it as an incentive to study harder and show them all up - but I'm totally one for competitiveness like that haha. I remember one time sat in a class pretty smug when people were saying some other girl got the highest mark in the class at 76%, and I was sat there silent with my 87%.
    This is golden good on ya

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No matter how well you do something, someone else will do it better so don't worry about others. As long as you are passing, why would it matter if someone else gets a higher score? A pass is a pass and you are risking that by allowing them to distract you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.