What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language?

Watch this thread
fat_pam
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just curious.
fat_pam
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Casisalive
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Speak English like 80% of the day so i think in English 100% of the time until someone asks this specific question, then i start questioning my subconscious's racism
fat_pam
Rep:
(Original post by Casisalive)
Speak English like 80% of the day so i think in English 100% of the time until someone asks this specific question, then i start questioning my subconscious's racism
But are you bilingual?
Casisalive
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fat_pam)
But are you bilingual?
My grandma only speaks punjabi and i was practically raised by her so i guess im fluent
retro_turtles
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I think in English but as far as it goes for the weaker language I'm bad at both Urdu and English :rofl:
fat_pam
Rep:
My grandma only speaks punjabi and i was practically raised by her so i guess im fluent
can you think in punjabi?
fat_pam
Rep:
(Original post by retro_turtles)
I think in English but as far as it goes for the weaker language I'm bad at both Urdu and English :rofl:
can you think in urdu?
kapowginger
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'm not quite bilingual but can speak French to a high level (English is my native language), and I can think in French, especially when doing French work/speaking with others.
starshine909
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
depends on the person and question tbh

I speak both Farsi & english fluently
Casisalive
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
can you think in punjabi?
Yeah but it just feels strange, even if im speaking punjabi i still think in English. I mainly just use punjabi to swear at my other punjabi mates so i guess that part of me isn't used to thinking hard
fat_pam
Rep:
(Original post by starshine909)
depends on the person and question tbh

I speak both Farsi & english fluently
What language do you think in?
fat_pam
Rep:
Yeah but it just feels strange, even if im speaking punjabi i still think in English. I mainly just use punjabi to swear at my other punjabi mates so i guess that part of me isn't used to thinking hard
So how many languages can you think in altogether?
starshine909
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What language do you think in?
It depends...on what I'm thinking about
retro_turtles
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
can you think in urdu?
I can
Josyb
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I think in english.but i speak both at varying times.
fat_pam
Rep:
I can
fat_pam
Rep:
Bump
retro_turtles
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
fat_pam
Rep:
What age did you learn English and Urdu?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
34.78%
Take a gap year (5)
21.74%
Resit my exams (6)
26.09%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (2)
8.7%
I don't know yet (1)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads