Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm finnish and I have studied english for 10 years and I can think in english. Sometimes without even noticing it. Every time I'm reading, speaking or listening something in that language I also think with it as well. It would be confusing to think with finnish while I'm speaking english. But practicly I am not officially bilingual as I speak only finnish on daily basis (living in Finland, hopefully in UK next september!)

All in all I can speak 4 languages: finnish, english, german and swedish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_pam)
    Just curious.
    Binary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikkukaveri)
    I'm finnish and I have studied english for 10 years and I can think in english. Sometimes without even noticing it. Every time I'm reading, speaking or listening something in that language I also think with it as well. It would be confusing to think with finnish while I'm speaking english. But practicly I am not officially bilingual as I speak only finnish on daily basis (living in Finland, hopefully in UK next september!)

All in all I can speak 4 languages: finnish, english, german and swedish.
    How many languages can you think in?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I'm only strictly fluent in the one language so can't speak from experience but after reading a couple of super-interesting books by Steven Pinker, I don't actually believe that people, bilingual or otherwise, necessarily "think in language". I'm paraphrasing Pinker's words but I think that the cognitive mechanisms involved in thought processes occur before the "language" part kicks in and that language is just the human output of communicating our thoughts, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    My yoga teacher is Brit but spent many, many years in Italy - married, raised kids, the whole shooting match. She's now back in UK but says she still thinks in Italian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    I'm only strictly fluent in the one language so can't speak from experience but after reading a couple of super-interesting books by Steven Pinker, I don't actually believe that people, bilingual or otherwise, necessarily "think in language". I'm paraphrasing Pinker's words but I think that the cognitive mechanisms involved in thought processes occur before the "language" part kicks in and that language is just the human output of communicating our thoughts, if that makes sense.
    I agree, people think in concepts.

But humans like thinking in language, it's sort of a layer above concepts. A mapping in a way. The language maps to concepts. Though it is quicker to think in concepts I guess.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I agree, people think in concepts.

But humans like thinking in language, it's sort of a layer above concepts. A mapping in a way. The language maps to concepts. Though it is quicker to think in concepts I guess.
    Yeah I took a couple of classes at uni about these kinds of ideas. It's still a matter up for debate but I agree that there is some kind of mapping relationship between thought/comprehension and the formulation/output of language.

ReputationRep:
    How many languages can you think in?
    Fluently two: Finnish and english. If I speak with native swedish or german speaker I have to translate what I speak most of the time because I don't speak them as fluently as english.

I usually don't have to translate english because I understand it so well. In fact I find it useless for me to translate english to finnish when I speak (or think) it because it just takes too much time and is annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm fluent in Chinese (both mandarin and cantonese) but since I grew up in England I'm also fluent in English so it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Feel like I think in both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michelle88222)
    Well I'm fluent in Chinese (both mandarin and cantonese) but since I grew up in England I'm also fluent in English so it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Feel like I think in both
    So you prefer to think in English?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What age did you learn English and Urdu?
    No particular age but i think urdu at like around age 2 and english when playgroup started

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    No particular age but i think urdu at like around age 2 and english when playgroup started
    So do you think slower in Urdu compared to English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikkukaveri)
    Fluently two: Finnish and english. If I speak with native swedish or german speaker I have to translate what I speak most of the time because I don't speak them as fluently as english.

I usually don't have to translate english because I understand it so well. In fact I find it useless for me to translate english to finnish when I speak (or think) it because it just takes too much time and is annoying.
    Can you think in Swedish and German?

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Spain for 5 years and almost always spoke and thought in Spanish. I'm back in England now (English is my first language but I speak Spanish at home) and mainly speak and think in English unless I'm having a conversation in Spanish...in which case I'll think in Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    I had a teacher who's first language was Scottish Gaelic, then learned fluent English by age 9 and in later life learned German and French as well as Latin.

He said that even though he didn't use Latin for over eight years at the time, one night he had a spontaneous dream entirely in Latin. He also said that sometimes he'd have 'mixed sentences' like: Oh, that was uamhasach math! or No, I don't have une gomme.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on how and where you are raised also the situation at hand....I mostly think in Yoruba since it was my first language I understood.But when over thinking,I ended up thinking in English.

ReputationRep:
    Can you think in Swedish and German?
    Spontaneously no. I can make myself think in German or Swedish but I don't do that unless I need to, for some reason use the language. That's because I have only studied German and Swedish for 6 years and I don't have to use them on a daily basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jahyjahy)
    I think it depends on how and where you are raised also the situation at hand....I mostly think in Yoruba since it was my first language I understood.But when over thinking,I ended up thinking in English.
    How many languages are you fluent in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.