Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I suppose by now English is my main language and German my mother tongue. I think mostly in English, but I have no problem thinking in German.

Depends on topic I guess.

ps btw, I would urge everyone to make sure their kid grows up bilingual. So marry someone with a different mother tongue :P
    Did you learn both languages at a relatively young age? Does that mean you think in English and German?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_pam)
    Did you learn both languages at a relatively young age? Does that mean you think in English and German?
    I started learning English when I was 9, so I suppose it was still young.

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_pam)
    So you prefer to think in English?
    I do both. The only time I prefer English is when I'm studying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bilingual but speak a little of a third language too. I think in English nearly 100% of the time but sometimes I can think in arabic (e.g. if im speaking to someone in arabic) and spanish as well

ReputationRep:
    I speak Cantonese, English, Mandarin and I am almost fluent in French.
    When I am doing maths, I think in Cantonese because the ways we say those numbers are so much quicker than those in English.
    I've never had to think in Mandarin because I never had to.
    And I think in English everyday, even dream in English.
    After having learnt French for two years with so much effort I manage to think in French without hesitating, although sometimes I still make grammar mistakes, but it's still great.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I speak three languages fluently and three more to a solid intermediate/advanced level (and a dead language if that counts, but I can't think in it). I don't know if this is just me being weird, but I can't really control the language I think in and it sort of switches randomly. When I'm with my family it will always be Croatian and with friends it's almost always English, but if I've just been talking, reading or writing in any language and then talk to someone else or do something else in a different one, it takes a little while for my thoughts to switch language and I can't actively switch them. I also have certain languages associated with certain topics; if I'm writing about or discussing philosophy, my default is French or German and I have trouble expressing myself in other languages.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.