Turn on thread page Beta

GEM meltdown watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I'm having a bit of a meltdown as to what to do. I haven't achieved very well in my A Levels (not something I will go into) but then completed an access course which enabled me to get into University now.

Long story short, I have originally applied to do nursing at a RG University as I wanted my degree to be as clinical and patient based as possible because I know I want to do medicine. I had mixed feelings about it as I am aware med and nursing are two completely different worlds so I ended up going through clearing and now I am doing a psychology course at a rather low ranked uni, (Winchester) whereas previously I applied to Southampton, it was too late in clearing to get a place there.

I am currently 20, I already had a gap year and I am unsure what to do now. I enjoy psychology and I am actually on a track of getting a first. However Winchester is a very small university and like I said, it's not ranked very high, I have mixed opinions whether rankings actually matter or not.

I was kind of planning to start a Psychology & Neuroscience degree at Sussex, it's ranked very high and has one of the best psychology departments. However this would mean I have to start with a foundation year (I already contacted them), which would leave me graduating at 24/25

I have been doing work experience for med for a good couple of years now, currently landed a job as an assistant at the operating theatre along with doing doing HCA shifts on various wards and volunteering. I am also doing A Level Chemistry and planning to do Biology as well, possibly Maths too.

My actual question is, do I continue at a low ranked uni? If I don't get into medicine I would like to become a clinical psychologist which is also highly competitive... makes me think, why would anyone choose me over an oxbridge candidate? same with medicine, even if I get good grades, volunteering, what would make admissions choose someone from Winchester over someone from an RG university?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by vmedically)
    Hello everyone!

I'm having a bit of a meltdown as to what to do. I haven't achieved very well in my A Levels (not something I will go into) but then completed an access course which enabled me to get into University now.

Long story short, I have originally applied to do nursing at a RG University as I wanted my degree to be as clinical and patient based as possible because I know I want to do medicine. I had mixed feelings about it as I am aware med and nursing are two completely different worlds so I ended up going through clearing and now I am doing a psychology course at a rather low ranked uni, (Winchester) whereas previously I applied to Southampton, it was too late in clearing to get a place there.

I am currently 20, I already had a gap year and I am unsure what to do now. I enjoy psychology and I am actually on a track of getting a first. However Winchester is a very small university and like I said, it's not ranked very high, I have mixed opinions whether rankings actually matter or not.

I was kind of planning to start a Psychology & Neuroscience degree at Sussex, it's ranked very high and has one of the best psychology departments. However this would mean I have to start with a foundation year (I already contacted them), which would leave me graduating at 24/25

I have been doing work experience for med for a good couple of years now, currently landed a job as an assistant at the operating theatre along with doing doing HCA shifts on various wards and volunteering. I am also doing A Level Chemistry and planning to do Biology as well, possibly Maths too.

My actual question is, do I continue at a low ranked uni? If I don't get into medicine I would like to become a clinical psychologist which is also highly competitive... makes me think, why would anyone choose me over an oxbridge candidate? same with medicine, even if I get good grades, volunteering, what would make admissions choose someone from Winchester over someone from an RG university?
    I can't comment on the competition for clinical psychology but for GEM it really doesn't matter where you get your degree from. Just that you get at least a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    I can't comment on the competition for clinical psychology but for GEM it really doesn't matter where you get your degree from. Just that you get at least a 2:1.
    Thank you for your response. So as long as I get whatever is expected from me I will be considered regardless which uni I attended? This would make it so much easier for me as instead of having to do another 4 years, I only have 2 left now to graduate, there's the issue of Brexit, because I'm a European citizen I guess there's uncertainty whether the funding or even the course would still be available for me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by vmedically)
    Thank you for your response. So as long as I get whatever is expected from me I will be considered regardless which uni I attended? This would make it so much easier for me as instead of having to do another 4 years, I only have 2 left now to graduate, there's the issue of Brexit, because I'm a European citizen I guess there's uncertainty whether the funding or even the course would still be available for me
    Pretty much. And getting a great score in UKCAT/GAMSAT.

Yeah, who knows what the situation will be in a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Pretty much. And getting a great score in UKCAT/GAMSAT.

Yeah, who knows what the situation will be in a couple of years
    Guess I'll just have to do it asap then already started practising!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 9, 2017

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.