Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Discussion time: Do people choose to be gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FIFA 18)
    Discuss the above. I'm confused and can't think how people feel before they realise they're gay and stuff.
    The way they realised that they were homosexual is identical to how you realised that you are heterosexual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    It's not like there's no gay people in poor countries though. It might appear that way, because their society is really homophobic.
    Not really, in poorer countries they don't care about sexuality, they just think about survival first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    idk so far everybody in this thread who classes it as a choice has said it's based on your upbringing... which you don't choose.

Which makes sense.
    I know right? :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    As I don't choose what I'm attracted to in any sense at all, I can't reasonably rationalise how choosing to be gay makes any sense whatsoever when in effect it's just another sexual preference, like thinking certain eye/hair colours are good or preferring different boob sizes.

They don't really choose that though, do they?

So... it's a choice that you can't choose?

idk so far everybody in this thread who classes it as a choice has said it's based on your upbringing... which you don't choose.

Which makes sense.
    Drez exits stage left (with eyes rolling deeply up) thinking of the stupidity of people that actually THINK being gay is a CHOICE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Not really, in poorer countries they don't care about sexuality, they just think about survival first.
    Not really. Russia, The Far East, Parts of Africa etc. are all extremely homophobic and don't have to think about survival everyday...

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Russia, The Far East, Parts of Africa etc. are all extremely homophobic and don't have to think about survival everyday...
    Fair point.

ReputationRep:
    If this was the case then groups like the one mentioned in this article wouldn't exist:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...ing-lgbt-ghana

ReputationRep:
    However, if you think about it, the UK is an incredibly soft country not like it was in the 70's where people were hard.

ReputationRep:
    No. It depends how you are raised as a kid. You can't change you're mind when you're a teenager and above.
    You literally have no evidence for this. Perhaps you're referring to erotic plasticity, that hasn't really been sufficiently researched?

ReputationRep:
    Fair point.
    Homosexuality is actually illegal in Russia, India, The Entire Middle East (excl. Israel) North Korea, Pretty much every country in Northern + Eastern Africa, Thailand etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No they do not. No discussion necessary. Next question.

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality is actually illegal in Russia, India, The Entire Middle East (excl. Israel) North Korea, Pretty much every country in Northern Africa... etc.
    You cannot outlaw sexual attraction to individuals of the same biological sex as oneself.

You can, however, "outlaw" acting on that attraction. (homosexual sexual acts, acts of affection, natural human things like that)

ReputationRep:
    No. It depends how you are raised as a kid. You can't change you're mind when you're a teenager and above.
    So it's environmental? That doesn't mean choice.

In response to your previous post as well, I know many working class gay people, I happen to be not a straight person and working class myself, same for members of my family and people I went to school with and have marched with in gay pride parades.

I'd like to see some stats if you've got them on this because I don't think that's the case at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    You cannot outlaw sexual attraction to individuals of the same biological sex as oneself.

You can, however, "outlaw" acting on that attraction. (homosexual sexual acts, acts of affection, natural human things like that)
    You know what I meant

ReputationRep:
    Well did you choose to be straight?

ReputationRep:

Which makes sense.
    Nature vs. Nurture. Either way it's the fault of the parents!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.
    Troll. There's no way anyone could be that ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    So it's environmental? That doesn't mean choice.

In response to your previous post as well, I know many working class gay people, I happen to be not a straight person and working class myself, same for members of my family and people I went to school with and have marched with in gay pride parades.

I'd like to see some stats if you've got them on this because I don't think that's the case at all.
    There are gay working class people, but there is only a few. If you go to Brighton or something it is 60% not straight

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality is actually illegal in Russia, India, The Entire Middle East (excl. Israel) North Korea, Pretty much every country in Northern + Eastern Africa, Thailand etc.
    What the ****?
    You are completely wrong. Educate yourself. It's legal in Russia and Thailand.
    Some Russian regions have banned propaganda of LGBT to minors but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    There are gay working class people, but there is only a few. If you go to Brighton or something it is 60% not straight
    [Citation needed]

There are middle class and working class in all areas - you are also likely to get higher proportions of gay people in places like Brighton because it's known to be gay friendly and so gay people go there or are much more likely to be out there than in a rough area of Manchester for example.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.