Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Discussion time: Do people choose to be gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    [Citation needed]

There are middle class and working class in all areas - you are also likely to get higher proportions of gay people in places like Brighton because it's known to be gay friendly and so gay people go there or are much more likely to be out there than in a rough area of Manchester for example.
    My point is that in working class areas there is less gay people because the majority of people are hard, and the area is grim. I live in between Sheffield and Barnsley and there is barely any gay people.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous, not only are people trying to make out it's related to your environment but your upbringing.

Okay, so in countries where people are stoned to death for being gay, was it that homophobic upbringing that brought them to their sexuality? Obviously not. As for upbringing, even looking at the likes of Orthodox Christians in the US and UK (first world countries) many Orthodox Christian teens kill themselves purely because they can't accept who they are, that's because of their upbringing.

And class? You really think someone's income determines their sexuality? Okay. I've heard it all now. Does the amount of exposure a boy has to the colour pink make him gay? Did the little girl go fishing too many times? Jesus christ. How did you guys get through high school with so little common sense?

My psychology teacher would have a field day with you guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    My point is that in working class areas there is less gay people because the majority of people are hard, and the area is grim. I live in between Sheffield and Barnsley and there is barely any gay people.
    I know "hard" gay people. Being gay is not in any way related to how "hard" you are, particularly as that's not a properly defined concept.

There may be loads of gay people who feel that they can't be out because of homophobia in the area or something. Do you quiz everyone on who they fancy or at least take a representative sample and also watch to see if you can detect any signs of lying...

ReputationRep:
    It's not a choice.And even if it were why does that make it wrong?People can do whatever they want with their own bodies.Regardless we should go with what science says on the matter rather than random opinions and a lot of scientists agree it's not a choice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    What the ****?
    You are completely wrong. Educate yourself. It's legal in Russia and Thailand.
    Some Russian regions have banned propaganda of LGBT to minors but that's about it.
    It might technically be legal, (maybe the map I looked at was slightly out of date) but you and I both know that homophobia is rife there, to put it lightly.

ReputationRep:
    I know "hard" gay people. Being gay is not in any way related to how "hard" you are, particularly as that's not a properly defined concept.

There may be loads of gay people who feel that they can't be out because of homophobia in the area or something. Do you quiz everyone on who they fancy or at least take a representative sample and also watch to see if you can detect any signs of lying...
    I though gay people want to be girls. I might be wrong, but the gay people I have met are soft.

ReputationRep:
    My 7 children were all brought up the same way. Only 2 of them are gay. How come they're not all gay. I've never read such drivel as I've seen on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    It might technically be legal, (maybe the map I looked at was slightly out of date) but you and I both know that homophobia is rife there, to put it lightly.
    In Russia, yep. It's not so bad in Thailand, considering it brings a lot of money into the country...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    What the ****?
    You are completely wrong. Educate yourself. It's legal in Russia and Thailand.
    Some Russian regions have banned propaganda of LGBT to minors but that's about it.
    Russia even tried to ban a football jersey in FIFA17 because it supported LGBT rights.
    For Thailand it says you can face imprisonment so... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I though gay people want to be girls. I might be wrong, but the gay people I have met are soft.
    Oh come on really? There are so many gays in the army... not even going to mention all the football players. They are mostly in the closet, though.

ReputationRep:
    Gay people just fancy people of the same sex as themselves.

Does that mean you think girls are "soft"? What about gay girls, are they "hard"?

It looks like you need to look up the definitions of sexual orientation and gender identity before you go making sweeping statements in threads like these, because you seem to be extremely misinformed and mistaken right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    My 7 children were all brought up the same way. Only 2 of them are gay. How come they're not all gay. I've never read such drivel as I've seen on this thread.
    Epigenetics

ReputationRep:
    Ciel. Thailand is the home of lady boys so homosexuality is probably legal there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FIFA 18)
    Ciel. Thailand is the home of lady boys so homosexuality is probably legal there.
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Gay people just fancy people of the same sex as themselves.

Does that mean you think girls are "soft"? What about gay girls, are they "hard"?

It looks like you need to look up the definitions of sexual orientation and gender identity before you go making sweeping statements in threads like these, because you seem to be extremely misinformed and mistaken right now.
    Yes lesbians are hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    You cannot outlaw sexual attraction to individuals of the same biological sex as oneself.

You can, however, "outlaw" acting on that attraction. (homosexual sexual acts, acts of affection, natural human things like that)
    You can totally outlaw homosexual attraction - it's just incredibly stupid and very difficult to enforce. Hell, you can outlaw practically anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yes lesbians are hard.
    Seriously, look up the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    You can totally outlaw homosexual attraction - it's just incredibly stupid and very difficult to enforce. Hell, you can outlaw practically anything.
    Meh, until we develop the ability to read minds, we can't for sure, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, look up the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity.
    The manly lesbians are hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.