The Student Room Group

Discussion time: Do people choose to be gay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FIFA 18
@Ciel. Thailand is the home of lady boys so homosexuality is probably legal there.

Original post by Ciel.
In Russia, yep. It's not so bad in Thailand, considering it brings a lot of money into the country...

I'm paraphrasing here but, from wiki;

Thai LGBT couples can expect legal challenges not faced by non-LGBT couples

Law enforcement isn't so liberal and tolerant like they would want.
Reply 61
Original post by minimarshmallow
Seriously, look up the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity.

I honestly think he's a lost cause.
Original post by Ciel.
I honestly think he's a lost cause.

The post a couple above yours makes me think the same.
Reply 63
Original post by RedManc
Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.

Devil's advocate or just not educated on the matter.
Reply 64
Original post by cbreef
I'm paraphrasing here but, from wiki;

Thai LGBT couples can expect legal challenges not faced by non-LGBT couples

Law enforcement isn't so liberal and tolerant like they would want.

That just means gays can't get married there and stuff. It's not illegal, though (homosexuality). In some countries you can go to prison for being gay, or worse.
I think it's a combination of many factors.
RedManc (the Daily Mirror guy) is clearly a troll, stop feeding him attention or his thick skull will get big.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You can totally outlaw homosexual attraction - it's just incredibly stupid and very difficult to enforce. Hell, you can outlaw practically anything.

How can you?
Original post by Ciel.
That just means gays can't get married there and stuff. It's not illegal, though (homosexuality). In some countries you can go to prison for being gay, or worse.

Yeah, to be honest I just looked at an annotated diagram about the legality of homosexuality in countries throughout the world and put together a list. Honestly I should've known better and should've been more thorough.

I have to say I was a bit sceptical when I saw Thailand labelled like that (It doesn't strike me as a particularly homophobic country) but I didn't bother to double check.
Reply 69
Original post by UWS
Devil's advocate or just not educated on the matter.

Both
Why would someone do that?
Original post by Pretty Flacko
I believe people cannot choose their sexuality and that, in fact, homosexuality is nature's answer to untrammelled population growth.

Perceive that how you will, it's my own weird rationale on the subject.

If you mean 'nature' without considering some divine intelligence i.e. in terms of evolution; I've always found a fault in that logic that can be explained no better than by Richard Dawkins himself.
[video="youtube;dQlw4PpDs4o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQlw4PpDs4o[/video]
You don't choose... you just realise. For me i now think back to things i did when i was younger like yep, i'm a little gay
Sexual orientation is made up of lots of things, including attraction, identity and behaviour.

I suspect very few people choose what they are attracted to, but lots of people choose an identity and everyone should be able to choose their behaviour.
Reply 74
Original post by cbreef
Homosexuality is actually illegal in Russia, India, The Entire Middle East (excl. Israel) North Korea, Pretty much every country in Northern + Eastern Africa, Thailand etc.

There's actually not much evidence to suggest that homosexuality is illegal in North Korea.
Gay Marriage obviously would not happen, but much like its unknown laws on drugs, the country tends to differ in the radical government approach that most authoritarian countries tend to have.

We simply don't really know.

It may also be worth considering that because of the shielding and exclusion of the North Korean people, some Men and Women may have same-sex desires and act on them, but if it's not really a societal "thing" (i.e. you can't look over to Netherlands or France and see that they have gays that can get married), then it's probably simply shrugged off.
Original post by petermp
There's actually not much evidence to suggest that homosexuality is illegal in North Korea.
Gay Marriage obviously would not happen, but much like its unknown laws on drugs, the country tends to differ in the radical government approach that most authoritarian countries tend to have.

We simply don't really know.

It may also be worth considering that because of the shielding and exclusion of the North Korean people, some Men and Women may have same-sex desires and act on them, but if it's not really a societal "thing" (i.e. you can't look over to Netherlands or France and see that they have gays that can get married), then it's probably simply shrugged off.

Let's just assume :wink:
Reply 76
Original post by cbreef
Let's just assume :wink:

I went there last July. Asked the question about Homosexuality and marriage and they didn't really consider it to be a thing. Which is what eludes me to assume it is merely shrugged off as a temporary feeling rather than a way to live your life (i.e have a same-sex relationship)

Were it to be a big deal, with state-wide persecution of gays, the minders would have said so. Authoritarian regimes (mostly in Africa), tend to justify it on religious grounds.
There is no religion in DPRK.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 77
Short answer: "no"
Longer answer : "please refer to previous answer"
To be serious thought I can't say what gay people feel like before they realise but I can say as an asexual for me it was like I've always known just never had a name for it or noticed it enough. With gay people I imagine it becomes more prevelant with puberty as sexual feelings begin to be felt and peers become more and more sexually minded and discuss what people are sexy and hot etc I imagine that gay people realise that they don't feel that way towards the opposite sex but do feel it towards their own For me it was what made me realise I was ace the fact that I wasn't interested in either sex like that
yes they do
I'm not gay but I'm bisexual. I certainly did not choose to be bisexual. I didn't wake up one day and think, "I want to be bisexual. I'm going to be bisexual!" so that I could get hassled and bullied by people around me for it.

What about gay people in countries where being a homosexual can lead to execution? If being gay was a choice, I don't think that the homophobia would lead to that "choice".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending