Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Discussion time: Do people choose to be gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.
    Why would anyone choose to be gay in spite of prejudice and persecution in many countries around the world? How would that attract someone?

Pretty poor confirmation bias in your second point, it's more likely the case that among a working class background there is less widespread acceptance of being gay than in a middle class background, so more people can come out about it. Most evidence has shown an equal distribution of gay people in all socio-economic groups.

How would you even make that claim anyway? It's not like you can tell at first glance from looking at someone whether they're gay, unlike skin colour or something.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a choice. You don't just wake up one day and say "I'm gonna be gay!"

It's a mixture of genetics and environment. I suppose one could say our life choices can influence our sexual development when young and going through puberty (I.e. you choose to explore or not to explore feelings which may later go away), but being gay is still not a direct choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percypig17)
    Why would anyone choose to be gay in spite of prejudice and persecution in many countries around the world? How would that attract someone?

Pretty poor confirmation bias in your second point, it's more likely the case that among a working class background there is less widespread acceptance of being gay than in a middle class background, so more people can come out about it. Most evidence has shown an equal distribution of gay people in all socio-economic groups.

How would you even make that claim anyway? It's not like you can tell at first glance from looking at someone whether they're gay, unlike skin colour or something.
    They are not gay by birth. Its their surroundings and how they are brought up which makes them gay.

ReputationRep:
    They are not gay by birth. Its their surroundings and how they are brought up which makes them gay.
    That conclusion doesn't really follow. Yes, people are not gay at birth, in the sense that no child actually exhibits a sexual preference at birth (i.e. people are not 'straight' at birth in that sense). Although the exact cause of sexuality isn't confirmed, the evidence relating to things like parenting or upbringing affecting the development of sexuality is extremely slim.

However, even if I accept that environmental factors affect sexuality and whether you grow up to be straight or gay, that has no bearing on whether it is a choice or not. A choice indicates it is something which can be controlled or overwritten, when it has been repeatedly shown that being gay or straight is ingrained from the age when they emerge. As well as that, even if the environment was found to have a major effect on determining whether you were gay or not, the outcome of being gay or straight is not something that the person himself can control to make that choice, anyway.

I would like to see any study you have read that has shown conclusive evidence that being straight/or gay is purely based on how you are brought up? Or is that something you just hope to be true?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.
    Gay people are all sorts of class. I have met many working class gay people. I would say that LGBT people from a working class background can face more stigma or fear of no acceptance, and perhaps causes more of a closet culture in those backgrounds.

I don't know why I am gay, I just know that I am, and that I had no choice over it. In fact, I would have done anything to not be it. This is why it upsets me to see a comment like the above. Did you choose to be straight?

ReputationRep:
    Proof? Please provide sources.

ReputationRep:
    My point exactly, there might be more gays, but we don't know because they haven't came out.
    Wait, so you previously said that there are no gays where you live, and now you've said that if people were gay they wouldn't come out because it's a rough area. Are you trolling, or you do not see that you've just refuted your own point?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.livescience.com/50058-bei...-a-choice.html

I myself, am a firm believer that people do not choose wether on not they are attracted to the same sex.

In fact, I can guarantee that all of the people who wrote in the contrary, are straight or at least denying their sexuality; not to say that those who agree are gay.

However, anecdotal 'evidence' really isn't enough proof that it is one or the other, we can only come to this conclusion when 'set in stone' scientific evidence is provided, by a reputable source.

Articles I quickly searched for:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...rch-finds.html
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...you_don_t.html
    http://www.newstatesman.com/society/...we-re-born-way

ReputationRep:
    Yes and No

Some are genuinely bent, but a lot of famous people are gay to boost their profiles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Gay people are all sorts of class. I have met many working class gay people. I would say that LGBT people from a working class background can face more stigma or fear of no acceptance, and perhaps causes more of a closet culture in those backgrounds.

I don't know why I am gay, I just know that I am, and that I had no choice over it. In fact, I would have done anything to not be it. This is why it upsets me to see a comment like the above. Did you choose to be straight?
    I didn't mean to offend you, I just meant the more richer the country gets it seems that the more gay people there are. In the 70's there weren't that much gay people. There is nothing wrong with being gay. I live in a working class community (High Green) and there is only a few gay people. I understand how I might have accidentally upset you, I'am not that good with words and sometimes I might be misunderstood. However, my point is I know a gay person who was influenced by Brokeback Mountain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percypig17)
    Wait, so you previously said that there are no gays where you live, and now you've said that if people were gay they wouldn't come out because it's a rough area. Are you trolling, or you do not see that you've just refuted your own point?
    I'm not trolling, I was misunderstood.

ReputationRep:
    I made no choice to be gay. Whether there are environmental factors either in the womb or as you're growing up or if it's in some way genetic I have no idea and no one has a definitive answer. Anyone here who gives one is basing that on their own beliefs, prejudices etc.

ReputationRep:
    My answer isn't politically correct but I think they do choose. They didn't literally select it from a checklist to be attracted to the same sex, but they chose to go along with that attraction that I honestly would deem unnecessary sexual curiosity/experimentation

(Original post by cbreef)
    then surely I can just become gay whenever I want? :dontknow:
    go for it, Conner #2

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to offend you, I just meant the more richer the country gets it seems that the more gay people there are. In the 70's there weren't that much gay people. There is nothing wrong with being gay. I live in a working class community (High Green) and there is only a few gay people. I understand how I might have accidentally upset you, I'am not that good with words and sometimes I might be misunderstood. However, my point is I know a gay person who was influenced by Brokeback Mountain.
    Um, maybe because discrimination in the 1970's was vastly more common, than it is now, therefore effecting someones ability and willingness to come out. Remember, just because someone hasn't come out, doesn't mean they aren't gay. Richer countries tend to have restriction-less access to information, scientific information and anecdotal alike, (although there are exceptions eg: Saudi Arabia) meaning they can make there own informed decisions, free from bias and misinformation.

The person you were talking about: doesn't exist, is lying or was gay to begin with and then got influenced by Brokeback Mountain. Anecdotal =/ Scientific or Logical Fact.

ReputationRep:
    In the 70's there weren't that much gay people.
    *In the 70s there weren't that many gay people who had come out yet.

It doesn't take a genius to understand that homosexuality was incredibly looked down upon in society even some 40 years ago. There was the same number of gay people back then as there is now (in proportion to the population), just now homosexuality is more accepted and gay people are more comfortable with being out of the closet.

ReputationRep:
    hmm..
    From my point of view, I never really "started" being gay, it was just this thing that I didn't really think about where my brain didn't have an issue about loving someone of the same sex.

One of my friends started pressuring me into labelling myself as bisexual. This pressure turned into me "going back into the closet" I guess, in which case I had an argument with my previous girlfriend about it..
    Almost losing her made me realise how selfish I was for forgetting that my sexuality was about the people I love, rather than who I am as a person

Turns out, I've always been able to feel romantically towards women, and not really at all towards men. Personally, I wouldn't translate this as me "choosing to be gay".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FGSFez)
    Yes and No

Some are genuinely bent, but a lot of famous people are gay to boost their profiles
    They aren't gay then? Just because someone said they were gay, doesn't make them gay. That's like me saying "I now have autism, because I said I have autism and want to exploit that for sympathy votes" (Disclaimer: I am not comparing homosexuality to a disability and i'm not saying it's a medical condition, just creating parallels to explain how saying you're either one of them doesn't mean you actually are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    They aren't gay then? Just because someone said they were gay, doesn't make them gay. That's like me saying "I now have autism, because I said I have autism and want to exploit that for sympathy votes" (Disclaimer: I am not comparing homosexuality to a disability and i'm not saying it's a medical condition, just creating parallels to explain how saying you're either one of them doesn't mean you actually are).
    Its Media profiling. Gay people are vastly over represented when it comes to celebrities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FGSFez)
    Its Media profiling. Gay people are vastly over represented when it comes to celebrities
    I think that straight people are represented more in the media than gay people

ReputationRep:
    No. Honestly I'd have loved to have been straight rather than spent years confused about my sexuality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.