Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reasons my dumper ex would keep messaging me? Watch

My ex left me 5 months ago. He got into another relationship a week after and they are still together.

I think I surprised him because I wasn't really that bothered about our relationship ending, even though we were together for 3 years. I'm a bit of a free spirit and I guess I realised we can't have been that strong if he moved on so easily. I still like my ex as a person though and hope he is happy.

Not one week has gone by since our break up without him contacting me. Lately he's been contacting me every 1-2 days. He usually says stuff like 'hope you're weekend is going well!' or 'I really hope you're having a lovely day!' or 'wishing you all the best!' or 'look at this video!' or 'did you hear about ___?' Just random stuff like that. I rarely initiate anything with him. I'm completely confused why he is still contacting me this often 5 months on. Honestly I thought he'd have forgotten about me now. He should be happy with his girlfriend and messaging her, not me.

Literally just 10 minutes ago he sent me another message saying 'just thought I'd send you a little hello'.

WTF lol O_o

Someone please explain what's going on here! I thought exes bugger off when they break up with someone and find someone else. I know I always have.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    My ex left me 5 months ago. He got into another relationship a week after and they are still together.

I think I surprised him because I wasn't really that bothered about our relationship ending, even though we were together for 3 years. I'm a bit of a free spirit and I guess I realised we can't have been that strong if he moved on so easily. I still like my ex as a person though and hope he is happy.

Not one week has gone by since our break up without him contacting me. Lately he's been contacting me every 1-2 days. He usually says stuff like 'hope you're weekend is going well!' or 'I really hope you're having a lovely day!' or 'wishing you all the best!' or 'look at this video!' or 'did you hear about ___?' Just random stuff like that. I rarely initiate anything with him. I'm completely confused why he is still contacting me this often 5 months on. Honestly I thought he'd have forgotten about me now. He should be happy with his girlfriend and messaging her, not me.

Literally just 10 minutes ago he sent me another message saying 'just thought I'd send you a little hello'.

WTF lol O_o

Someone please explain what's going on here! I thought exes bugger off when they break up with someone and find someone else. I know I always have.
    Seems likely he misses you and regrets his decision, guess he isn't happy in his relationship but I wouldn't got back to him.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because you haven't blocked him yet.

ReputationRep:

WTF lol O_o

Probably because you didn't take the break up badly, it feels like a mutual thing so he probably sees you as a friend still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravence)
    Probably because you didn't take the break up badly, it feels like a mutual thing so he probably sees you as a friend still
    'just thought I'd send you a little hello'. - I doubt he sent this to all his other friends. Seems like he just sent it to his ex girlfriend. Not really appropriate if he's in a relationship with someone else now.

The amount of contact and the content of his messages seems a little much for someone who sees someone as a friend IMO, especially if she isn't initiating back.
    • Very Important Poster

WTF lol O_o

In no particular order:

1. Booty call now or sometime in the future.
    2. He is genuinely a friend and likes to stay in touch.
    3. He doesnt want to admit he dumped you , feels guilty and is insecure, so he needs your reassurance. He likes to think he is the perfect guy and you are charity.
    4. He wants to keep an eye on you to make sure you dont do better than him.
    5. he is bored with current gf.

Tbh just respond once a week/ fortnight or cut contact.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.