Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    And have these rising fees dissuaded anyone from applying to university?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    And have these rising fees dissuaded anyone from applying to university?
    Fees can only increase in line with inflation, so a 5% year on year increase is extremely unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Fees can only increase in line with inflation, so a 5% year on year increase is extremely unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37510744
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    Ah my quick maths was wrong but still 250 on 9250 is 2.7% which is above inflation. I think they use RPIX.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Ah my quick maths was wrong but still 250 on 9250 is 2.7% which is above inflation. I think they use RPIX.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just a question but say I get into uni this year, do I pay £9250 every year or do I have to pay £9500 next year and so on?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Just a question but say I get into uni this year, do I pay £9250 every year or do I have to pay £9500 next year and so on?
    It can go up.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    WhoDaresWins and just to point out that the tuition fee loan covers any increase.

This is RPIX https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/infla...imeseries/cdkq

Tagging PQ - what date do they use to calculate RPIX for the fee increase?

ReputationRep:
    Might as well make it £10,000, a nice round number and shaft another generation.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_pam)
    Might as well make it £10,000, a nice round number and shaft another generation.
    :laugh::lol::lol: Oh man...
    But srsly :/

ReputationRep:
    ITT: People who don't understand how inflation works
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    ITT: People who don't understand how inflation works
    You're an international student so you will be paying more anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You're an international student so you will be paying more anyway.
    Actually I'm sponsored so overall I end up getting paid to go to university.

But what I'm paying literally has nothing to do with my original comment. My point is that £1 in 2017 money isn't as valuable as £1 in 2012 money so you're still paying less than someone who went to uni in 2012 anyway. In fact given Brexit you're paying loads less, closer to £6000 per year in 2012 money
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

But what I'm paying literally has nothing to do with my original comment. My point is that £1 in 2017 money isn't as valuable as £1 in 2012 money so you're still paying less than someone who went to uni in 2012 anyway. In fact given Brexit you're paying loads less, closer to £6000 per year in 2012 money
    Woah nice.
    Also yeah I know, value of the pound has decreased.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    In fact given Brexit you're paying loads less, closer to £6000 per year in 2012 money
    Wut?

The FX rate makes no difference to a UK student paying UK fees. Inflation has been at historic lows in the period since 2012. £9250 now was worth about £8500 in 2012.

ReputationRep:

Thats not how exchange rates work...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.