The Student Room Group

IS claims responsibility for Israel rocket "attack"

So apparently IS launched multiple rockets from Egypt (of all places) at an Israeli port. where they were intercepted by their missile defence systems in the area.

No casualties or damage reported, but this has opened my eyes a little bit as to what daesh are actually capable of.

Thoughts?

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/world/a/34380896/is-confirms-it-fired-at-israelis-eilat-from-egypt/#page1
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Team Rocket
That missile defence thing they have is pretty insane.

ISIS better get the hell out of Egypt :angry:
Original post by AishaGirl
That missile defence thing they have is pretty insane.

ISIS better get the hell out of Egypt :angry:

It is indeed, although most developed countries have them these days.
Our own Navy's new Type 45 Destroyers can track and engage literally hundreds of incoming missiles at the same time. :smile:

Looks like daesh must crossed the Libyan border. I wasn't aware they had any territory in Egypt at all either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
It is indeed, although most developed countries have them these days.
Our own Navy's new Type 45 Destroyers can track and engage literally hundreds of incoming missiles at the same time. :smile:

So could the older type 23's with their seawolf missiles. It's nothing new but Israels system has like a 99.9% accuracy rating or something.
Reply 5
Wow, the CIA must have stepped up it's budget for supporting moderate opposition :wink:
So could the older type 23's with their seawolf missiles. It's nothing new but Israels system has like a 99.9% accuracy rating or something.

They need that level of precision too. Without that level of precision many would lose their lives, so you could say, it's pinpoint accuracy out of necessity.
(edited 7 years ago)

Courtesy of Uncle Sam, meanwhile 14.5% of Americans are living in poverty. #Priorities
I didn't know IS had this capability but they make over $2 billion a year so they sure can afford it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Courtesy of Uncle Sam, meanwhile 14.5% of Americans are living in poverty. #Priorities

Nevermind you're talking about Israels missile defence, yeh... I agree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Harold98
I didn't know IS had this capability but they make over $2 billion a year so they sure can afford it.

Not sure that figure is still accurate.
Original post by cbreef
Not sure that figure is still accurate.

Back when they had the oil fields they were making roughly $5million a day. not anymore though.
Original post by cbreef
Looks like daesh must crossed the Libyan border. I wasn't aware they had any territory in Egypt at all either.

ISIS are active in Egypt. I'm not sure if they actually control territory like in Iraq and Syria or if they just operate with guerilla tactics like the Taliban do in Afghanistan, but they definitely have a presence in the Sinai area.
Back when they had the oil fields they were making roughly $5million a day. not anymore though.

Iraq is so f***** these days. All of their refineries have been bombed to hell at this point.
Original post by cbreef
Iraq is so f***** these days. All of their refineries have been bombed to hell at this point.

They can easily be rebuilt though, I'm pretty sure ISIS don't control any oil fields in Iraq now.
They can easily be rebuilt though, I'm pretty sure ISIS don't control any oil fields in Iraq now.

Iraq probably won't be one country when this is over. It's so fragmented. The North might go to the Kurds.
One of the issues with missile defence, certainly against "low tech" rockets, is that the interceptor missiles cost a heck of a lot more than the rockets fired by the militants. To counter that, I think Israeli systems only target inbound projectiles that are predicted to land in populated areas but don't quote me on that.
Of course, the moment direct energy point defence systems become viable, the situation reverses as the cost of firing a laser is tiny compared to the cost of a missile or rocket.
Original post by Tempest II

Of course, the moment direct energy point defence systems become viable, the situation reverses as the cost of firing a laser is tiny compared to the cost of a missile or rocket.

Not to mention being 100% accurate.
Not to mention being 100% accurate.

Nothing is ever 100% accurate in the real world, but, if you can see it, you can hit it. & if you can hit it, you can kill it.

If you've got a decent integrated defence system with radars, SAMs & laser based weapons then only the most sophisticated stealth platforms will be able to get through. Certainly nothing that Da'esh, Hamas or other militant groups will possess any time soon.
Original post by Tempest II
Nothing is ever 100% accurate in the real world, but, if you can see it, you can hit it. & if you can hit it, you can kill it.

If you've got a decent integrated defence system with radars, SAMs & laser based weapons then only the most sophisticated stealth platforms will be able to get through. Certainly nothing that Da'esh, Hamas or other militant groups will possess any time soon.

Maybe not 100% accurate but lasers are pretty damn accurate :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending