Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my last year of GCSEs and I want to do Psychology for A level. Can anybody who's doing Psychology tell me what it's like, what the exam is like, if the syllabus is hard, if it's interesting etc...? Thanks xo

ReputationRep:
    I'm on AS (AQA) atm and I love psychology
    You need need basic biology knowledge but nothing much past GCSE
    Topics we're doing for AS are;
    Research Methods
    Approaches
    Social Influence (conformity, obedience)
    Psychopathology (depression, OCD, phobias0
    Memory
    Attatchment

This year I've loved it and I'm getting good grades so far (B & A), and am defo going to carry it on to next year
    I find it really interesting and not too hard, though some topics are easier than others

ReputationRep:
    What's your favourite topic so far?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing AS Psychology (Edexcel), as mentioned above, you will need to know that.
    Also if you know what exam board you will be doing the A-level with then you can find the specification online.
    The exams are mostly based around the application of your knowledge and operationalising what you write, e.g. make your answers specific to the question/study.
    The syllabus isn't that hard, it is just quite a bit of knowledge and memorising.
    I find AS Psychology very very interesting!

If you have anymore questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    Did AQA Psychology at AS last year and got grade A. I'll do my best to break it down.

Social Influence - In this you will learn about how society can change a person/groups of people perspective/views. Need to know a few case studies, e.g Milgram's experiment, Zimbardo's prison, etc.
    How interesting I found this? 6/10.
    Difficulty? 6/10
    Memory - In the first half, you'll learn about how the brain stores information, for how long, etc and 2 different models on how it works. In the second half, you'll learn about how external factors can impact memory, for example being a witness at a crime scene.
    How interesting I found this? 7/10
    Difficulty? 5/10
    Attachment - sigh God I hated most of this. First half, you will learn about how a primary caregiver (mother or father or legal guardian) interacts with an infant, and how the infant, as its growing, can form relationships with different people.
    Second half of it got a bit more interesting, as we looked at case studies of how attachment was like with baby animals like monkeys. Then we looked at causes of relationships in more depth, and you will study about how early childhood relationships can affect future relationships.
    How interesting I found this? 3/10
    Difficulty? 4/10
    Psychopathology - This section is divided into 3 big parts. Phobias, OCD and Depression, along with definitions for abnormality.
    In each of the 3 sub topics, you will learn about what they are (linked to approaches), how they come about and how we can treat them.
    How interesting I found this? 9/10 (As someone who has a phobia of animals, dogs in particular, it was cool to see how it explained phobias)
    Difficulty? 7/10 (Trying to remember the treatment for OCD took the ****)
    Approaches/Biopsychology - This is a bit of a weird topic. You start off with learning about the history of Psychology. Then, you get into the 3 big sections. Behavior approach, Coginitive approach and then Biological approach. In each of these, you will learn what they are and how these approaches can help us understand psychology - ourselves and the world around us. And then after learning about the Biological approach, it leads nicely on to biopsychology, where you will learn about stuff like nervours system, how fear is produced in us, etc.
    Difficulty? 8/10 (No kidding, you will have to learn every single process, evaluation points for the 3 approaches. As someone who doesn't like bio, the biological stuff took the ****).
    Research methods - Jesus Christ. This section nearly killed me. The maths bit of it was my saving grace. You will learn about how Psychologist use different methods/techniques to lead an experiment or an observation, and then how they can collect data from it, and then how they put it in a numerical format for example, to help them understand the results.
    Maths is key for one of the parts, it gets quite statistical. The rest, you need to learn them. I tried finding ways around it to make it easier, but I didn't have much success.
    How interesting I found this? 4/10
    Difficulty? 9/10 (Like I said, the maths saved me a bit, but the rest is just long winded and took the ****)

So the EXAMS:
    Paper 1 consists of Attachment, Social Influence, Memory and Psychopathology. 90 mins
    Paper 2 consists of Research methods, Bio-psychology and Approaches. 90 mins.

I dropped it after AS because it wasn't necessary for my Uni course, but I found most of it quite interesting and as someone who likes to think and debate about how we think, I thoroughly enjoyed most of it.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queenie123)
    What's your favourite topic so far?
    Attachments the only one I've not started yet so can't comment on that
    Psychopathology, though I've only had a couple of lessons on it, is probably my favourite
    Memories also quite good so far, and social influence started off good but dragged a bit towards the end
    Research methods was a bit boring, approaches was ok for the first two sections then got more biological so I went off it a tad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Google22)
    Did AQA Psychology at AS last year and got grade A. I'll do my best to break it down.

Social Influence - In this you will learn about how society can change a person/groups of people perspective/views. Need to know a few case studies, e.g Milgram's experiment, Zimbardo's prison, etc.
    How interesting I found this? 6/10.
    Difficulty? 6/10
    Memory - In the first half, you'll learn about how the brain stores information, for how long, etc and 2 different models on how it works. In the second half, you'll learn about how external factors can impact memory, for example being a witness at a crime scene.
    Difficulty? 5/10
    Attachment - sigh God I hated most of this. First half, you will learn about how a primary caregiver (mother or father or legal guardian) interacts with an infant, and how the infant, as its growing, can form relationships with different people.
    Second half of it got a bit more interesting, as we looked at case studies of how attachment was like with baby animals like monkeys. Then we looked at causes of relationships in more depth, and you will study about how early childhood relationships can affect future relationships.
    Difficulty? 4/10
    Psychopathology - This section is divided into 3 big parts. Phobias, OCD and Depression, along with definitions for abnormality.
    In each of the 3 sub topics, you will learn about what they are (linked to approaches), how they come about and how we can treat them.
    How interesting I found this? 9/10 (As someone who has a phobia of animals, dogs in particular, it was cool to see how it explained phobias)
    Difficulty? 7/10 (Trying to remember the treatment for OCD took the ****)
    Approaches/Biopsychology - This is a bit of a weird topic. You start off with learning about the history of Psychology. Then, you get into the 3 big sections. Behavior approach, Coginitive approach and then Biological approach. In each of these, you will learn what they are and how these approaches can help us understand psychology - ourselves and the world around us. And then after learning about the Biological approach, it leads nicely on to biopsychology, where you will learn about stuff like nervours system, how fear is produced in us, etc.
    Difficulty? 8/10 (No kidding, you will have to learn every single process, evaluation points for the 3 approaches. As someone who doesn't like bio, the biological stuff took the ****).
    Research methods - Jesus Christ. This section nearly killed me. The maths bit of it was my saving grace. You will learn about how Psychologist use different methods/techniques to lead an experiment or an observation, and then how they can collect data from it, and then how they put it in a numerical format for example, to help them understand the results.
    Maths is key for one of the parts, it gets quite statistical. The rest, you need to learn them. I tried finding ways around it to make it easier, but I didn't have much success.
    How interesting I found this? 4/10
    Difficulty? 9/10 (Like I said, the maths saved me a bit, but the rest is just long winded and took the ****)

So the EXAMS:
    Paper 1 consists of Attachment, Social Influence, Memory and Psychopathology. 90 mins
    Paper 2 consists of Research methods, Bio-psychology and Approaches. 90 mins.

I dropped it after AS because it wasn't necessary for my Uni course, but I found most of it quite interesting and as someone who likes to think and debate about how we think, I thoroughly enjoyed most of it.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask
    Wow! Thank you so much for spending the time to do this) It really helped me as Ive decided to do it as it sounds interesting and not too difficult xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Google22)
    Difficulty? 4/10
    God I hate Attachment too! I'm doing it now and I just find it so boring, but everyone in my class loves it, maybe because many of them do sociology... Anyway do you have any tips for getting a grade A at the end of Year 12? My school isn't even entering us for an AS because all of us are carrying it on next year, so we'll be set internal exams, hence why we are learning extra little things that you didn't learn (e.g. in Appraoches, we are also learning about Psychodynamic, Humanistic and Social Learning Theory Approaches on top of the 3 you learnt).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queenie123)
    Wow! Thank you so much for spending the time to do this) It really helped me as Ive decided to do it as it sounds interesting and not too difficult xox
    Haha nice! Glad I could help you out and sway your decision!
    If you have any questions about psychology in the future, I'm always on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    God I hate Attachment too! I'm doing it now and I just find it so boring, but everyone in my class loves it, maybe because many of them do sociology... Anyway do you have any tips for getting a grade A at the end of Year 12? My school isn't even entering us for an AS because all of us are carrying it on next year, so we'll be set internal exams, hence why we are learning extra little things that you didn't learn (e.g. in Appraoches, we are also learning about Psychodynamic, Humanistic and Social Learning Theory Approaches on top of the 3 you learnt).

Yeah attachment is basically a childcare course lmao haha

Have you got the AQA psychology text book?
    Because I advise you to do every 12 mark evaluation question in each section. You can either do it as a proper written essay, bullet points or mind map, etc.
    This will help you because those evaluation questions cover pretty much everything on the section and also helps you remember the evaluation points.

The only thing this may not cover are some of the processes, but they are usually worth 4-6 marks tops.

And I also did the psychodynamic after the AS level exams cause our college insisted and it's such an interesting topic!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.