Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They've added this "useful" information:
    "The student's formal evening dress, seen in the video, is no longer commonly worn, according to Debrett's"
    ** Rifles frantically through Debrett's 'The Complete Oxbridge Gentleman and Lady: a guide to contemporary styles' for confirmation. **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How much contact have you had with homeless people?
    Why do you think it is funny?
    Why do you think he deserves a reward?
    I have giveb them food before And They sometimes reject it If it isn't good enough. And a lot of the time they spend money only on alcohol. A lot of them put themselves there burning money may kick them into having theirelife wifes And kids back which a lot of them actually have sonewhere!

ReputationRep:
    When I saw the headline I thought 'I just know it was an Oxford student...'

:blushing:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    I have giveb them food before And They sometimes reject it If it isn't good enough. And a lot of the time they spend money only on alcohol. A lot of them put themselves there burning money may kick them into having theirelife wifes And kids back which a lot of them actually have sonewhere!
    I either hope English isnt your first language or you are a bot because a lot of that makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    Oh no! God forbid that people (whose addiction likely played a part in their ending up on the streets) don't magically find a way to kick the habit unaided once they become homeless. :rolleyes:

Also, I have never had a rough sleeper do anything other than say 'thankyou' or strike up a conversation when I've given them food/money.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    ** Rifles frantically through Debrett's 'The Complete Oxbridge Gentleman and Lady: a guide to contemporary styles' for confirmation. **
    Just refer back to the Post-It® Flags you attached previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My keyboard is stuck on french. My Internet Will run out on my phone soon anyway So I Will not be on here shortly.
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I either hope English isnt your first language or you are a bot because a lot of that makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    Annoying how that article blurs his face out, here we go-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/282566...cola-sturgeon/

ReputationRep:
    Just refer back to the Post-It® Flags you attached previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right, let's see, chapter 22, 'Treatment of Lower Persons', ah yes, well, excellent, nod, great tips, now, do I have some crisp twenties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    "When wishing to humiliate a tramp or a street urchin one should always order one's footman to carry out the act. Throwing a sixpence into a pile of ordure is always highly amusing."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    How is his being drunk relevant? Dismissing the behaviour as 'contrary to social standards' is disingenuous, as well you know. Pissing up against a wall is 'contrary to social standards'. Humiliating and taunting a homeless man in the manner he did whilst filming it is an order of magnitude greater. Yes, it belongs to the 'set' of 'contrary to social standards'. But it also belongs to the set of 'unacceptable to the majority of the population'. This is why it is worthy of greater censure.

Merited according to whom? You? Public opinion in this case will decided what consequences are merited. And it's not looking too rosy for him. Actions have consequences - as a (previously) aspiring lawyer, there is really no reason for him not to have known that. The consequences of his action were entirely foreseeable. Volenti, non fit injuria.
    The majority of the population who do not give a **** about the homeless.Homeless people have been known to die of cold on the streets of our cities. But nobody really cares. Just because people don't burn money in front of the homeless does not mean they are less guilty of not caring. If this guy is punished then it's just a little bit hypocritical really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    Chinless tosser

Ahahahaha, who burned his chin?

ReputationRep:
    Actually:

Spoiler:
    Show
    He sounds like the kind of chinless knob that burns 20 pound notes in front of homeless people.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If you would like to support Jimmy's, the local homeless charity in Cambridge, go to:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...immysCambridge

£20 covers the cost of 20 meals.

ReputationRep:
    If you would like to support Jimmy's, the local homeless charity in Cambridge, go to:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...immysCambridge
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    The majority of the population who do not give a **** about the homeless.Homeless people have been known to die of cold on the streets of our cities. But nobody really cares. Just because people don't burn money in front of the homeless does not mean they are less guilty of not caring.
    You are overstating that side of it. In particular you are going too far by saying that "nobody really cares". Studies have been done comparing what happens when someone needs help on the street and there are lots of people around with what happens when there are only a few people around. Help is less likely the more people there are. This partly explains why cities are usually less friendly than the countryside. Check out the use of the term "pluralistic ignorance".

(Original post by Robby2312)
    If this guy is punished then it's just a little bit hypocritical really.
    Sure, but at least things would be going in the right direction. Less hypocrisy is better than the same amount of hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player777)
    Its called a typo and using a phone keyboard. Really?
    Perhaps you could explain that comment to stupid ol' me?

You wrote:

"people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless"

I replied

"I doubt you know what "exponentially" means, but (that) statement is utterly ridiculous"

And now you say

"Its [sic] called a typo and using a phone keyboard. Really?"

"Typo" is short for "typographical error" or "typing error". For example someone might type "seroplamt" for "aeroplane" or they might spell something wrong or type the wrong word not because they can't spell or they don't know the right word but simply because they're typing quickly. Pretty much everyone makes typos occasionally and they're no indicator of stupidity.

So if you made a typo, please can you tell me what word you meant to type instead of "exponentially"?

That word is often misused by people who haven't got a clue what it means and think it's an impressive way of saying what could better be communicated using "at a fast rate", "at an increasing rate", or "very". They're more interested in how they come across than in communicating actual premises and chains of argument to the person they're talking to. But not in your case, right? It was just a typing error. So what word did you mean to type?

As for using a phone keyboard, you're responsible for what you post here whether you use a desktop computer or a Morse code machine. Either take more time, take more care, or get a bigger keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    What a twerp. Something smells a bit fishy about this story, however. "Attempted" to set light to it? :beard:

(Original post by Maria ZT)
    So what? She is not responsible for what he does .. They accepted someone with his attitudes
    Guessing you haven't met many Scottish nationalists:mute:

ReputationRep:
    I havent once said that it is in any way acceptable to treat the homeless as lesser people. All I'm saying is that the cambridge 'posh knob' did nothing wrong and is being treated like a criminal.
    Ronald Coyne treated a homeless man as if he were a lesser person than Ronald Coyne. So you're NOT saying you think his action was acceptable, but you ARE saying you think he did nothing wrong. That doesn't make sense. You're not thinking straight.

Its really hard to argue with you when most of what you say about me are your own pre-assumptions. 'ok to pepper spray them' - srs I dont even know how to react to that I really suggest you read my posts once again. I merely said that some people I know did some stuff that is way worse than this story and yet no news agency is making reports about it, and YET I dont think of it as a war crime,
    Your difficulty in arguing with me comes across in your use of notions such as "nobility", "serial murderer" and "war crime"as if I or someone else here who disagrees with you has used such notions, or has argued in a way that is similar to using such notions, when none of us have. You also call the UK "communist". (Which political party here would you say corresponds to the Polish United Workers' Party?)

no its not okay but ive been pepper sprayed myself few times and I didnt die of it (once again pointing out, no I did not pepper spray anyone myself)
    I read what you said and I wasn't suggesting you had used pepper-spray against anyone. What's your point when you say that you didn't die when being attacked with that weapon? Was someone arguing that when a yob, whether rich or poor, attacks a person using pepper-spray without provocation they should always be charged with attempted murder?

We don't know what further evidence might come out when the police interview the victim, the photographer, Coyne himself, and any other witnesses. I am quite sure there are worse actions that would count as offences under section 4a of the Act, and I don't think Coyne should get the maximum sentence of six months in jail. This is assuming he doesn't have a criminal record. As things stand, I think

* he should get expelled from the University immediately

* he should be criminally charged

* pending trial he should get bail on condition that he doesn't go out between 10pm and 7am or drink alcohol (fairly standard for people accused of being yobs who when drunk have caused unprovoked trouble on the street late at night) - and if he breaches either of those conditions he should be jailed

* he should get a sentence of 1 or 2 months in jail with 200 hours of community service.

ReputationRep:
    Just goes to show you can go to Cambridge and be stupid.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.