Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lopterton)
    Behaving abusively towards someone with intent to cause distress is a crime, under s4a of the Public Order Act 1986.

Am I right to understand that your main propositions are as follows?
    1) Physically attacking homeless people for fun is OK.
    2) Most homeless people are former criminals and deserve no sympathy.
    3) Saying otherwise is "self-righteous".
    what Im saying is that he is a stupid bloke who has done stupid **** and doesnt deserve the negative attention he gets, especially when people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless. plus homeless people are not some god-chosen noble kind of people who are suffering from any kind of oppression. homelessness in europe is, lets be honest, a lifestyle choice. with some exceptions, vast majority of them have brought it upon themselves and shouldnt be molly cuddled. if someone burned a 20pound note in front of me when asked for a change id laugh it off. the amount of anger with which people react indicates there is a bigger underlying issue pertaining to the class division in the uk. should we really drag some random drunk teenager into that dispute and ruin his life to satisfy our hatred for the rich?

EDIT: i see you conveniently avoided quoting my last post to avoid adding some context to what ive said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player777)
    wow ur dumb.
    I'm "dumb" for saying it's against the law to do this to people in the street, when someone said it wasn't?

(Original post by player777)
    what Im saying is that he is a stupid bloke who has done stupid **** and doesnt deserve the negative attention he gets, especially when people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless. plus homeless people are not some god-chosen noble kind of people who are suffering from any kind of oppression. homelessness in europe is, lets be honest, a lifestyle choice. with some exceptions, vast majority of them have brought it upon themselves and shouldnt be molly cuddled. if someone burned a 20pound note in front of me when asked for a change id laugh it off. the amount of anger with which people react indicates there is a bigger underlying issue pertaining to the class division in the uk. should we really drag some random drunk teenager into that dispute and ruin his life to satisfy our hatred for the rich?
    I'll tell you something, player777. You call me stupid. You call Ronald Coyne stupid, You call the criminal yobs you associate with stupid too. But you don't seem used to constructing proper arguments and nor have you shown much ability at writing proper English.

I doubt you know what "exponentially" means, but the following statement is utterly ridiculous:

"people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless"

People from working class backgrounds are the majority of the population. It is simply not true to say that most are very cruel to the homeless.

This is ridiculous too:

"homeless people are not some god-chosen noble kind of people who are suffering from any kind of oppression"

I don't think anyone who is not harassing or abusing other people should themselves be harassed or abused in the street. That doesn't mean I am saying any victim of such an attack is "noble" or "not noble". I don't care whether they are "noble" or not.

"homelessness in europe is, lets be honest, a lifestyle choice"

Untrue. But what if it were true? Then it's OK to pepper-spray them? You don't seem interested in arguing for a proposition on the basis of premises. You seem to be spewing out whatever comes into your head. You mention "hate", but you seem to think, when it really comes down to it, that anyone who is better off than another person should be able to abuse and assault them.

ReputationRep:
    People on here are bonkers. I blush to think of some of what I got up to at that age, and only thank goodness it wasn't filmed and covered in the papers and I hadn't to account for it to my parents.

A drunk teenaged lad has behaved like a total tit. And so will a thousand more this evening.

ReputationRep:
    One day someone will be burning money in his face when he needs it the most.

never be too cocky I always say, because karma doesn't like cocky people

ReputationRep:
    No I called you dumb because you have totally missed the point of my posts.
    (Original post by lopterton)
    Untrue. But what if it were true? Then it's OK to pepper-spray them? You don't seem interested in arguing for a proposition on the basis of premises. You seem to be spewing out whatever comes into your head. You mention "hate", but you seem to think, when it really comes down to it, that anyone who is better off than another person should be able to abuse and assault them.
    I havent once said that it is in any way acceptable to treat the homeless as lesser people. All I'm saying is that the cambridge 'posh knob' did nothing wrong and is being treated like a criminal. Its really hard to argue with you when most of what you say about me are your own pre-assumptions. 'ok to pepper spray them' - srs I dont even know how to react to that I really suggest you read my posts once again. I merely said that some people I know did some stuff that is way worse than this story and yet no news agency is making reports about it, and YET I dont think of it as a war crime, no its not okay but ive been pepper sprayed myself few times and I didnt die of it (once again pointing out, no I did not pepper spray anyone myself) .

doubt you know what "exponentially" means, but this statement is utterly ridiculous:
    Its called a typo and using a phone keyboard. Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They've added this "useful" information:
    "The student's formal evening dress, seen in the video, is no longer commonly worn, according to Debrett's"
    ** Rifles frantically through Debrett's 'The Complete Oxbridge Gentleman and Lady: a guide to contemporary styles' for confirmation. **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How much contact have you had with homeless people?
    Why do you think it is funny?
    Why do you think he deserves a reward?
    I have giveb them food before And They sometimes reject it If it isn't good enough. And a lot of the time they spend money only on alcohol. A lot of them put themselves there burning money may kick them into having theirelife wifes And kids back which a lot of them actually have sonewhere!

ReputationRep:
    When I saw the headline I thought 'I just know it was an Oxford student...'

:blushing:
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anfanny)
    I have giveb them food before And They sometimes reject it If it isn't good enough. And a lot of the time they spend money only on alcohol. A lot of them put themselves there burning money may kick them into having theirelife wifes And kids back which a lot of them actually have sonewhere!
    I either hope English isnt your first language or you are a bot because a lot of that makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    Oh no! God forbid that people (whose addiction likely played a part in their ending up on the streets) don't magically find a way to kick the habit unaided once they become homeless. :rolleyes:

Also, I have never had a rough sleeper do anything other than say 'thankyou' or strike up a conversation when I've given them food/money.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    ** Rifles frantically through Debrett's 'The Complete Oxbridge Gentleman and Lady: a guide to contemporary styles' for confirmation. **
    Just refer back to the Post-It® Flags you attached previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My keyboard is stuck on french. My Internet Will run out on my phone soon anyway So I Will not be on here shortly.
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I either hope English isnt your first language or you are a bot because a lot of that makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    Annoying how that article blurs his face out, here we go-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/282566...cola-sturgeon/

ReputationRep:
    Just refer back to the Post-It® Flags you attached previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right, let's see, chapter 22, 'Treatment of Lower Persons', ah yes, well, excellent, nod, great tips, now, do I have some crisp twenties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    "When wishing to humiliate a tramp or a street urchin one should always order one's footman to carry out the act. Throwing a sixpence into a pile of ordure is always highly amusing."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    How is his being drunk relevant? Dismissing the behaviour as 'contrary to social standards' is disingenuous, as well you know. Pissing up against a wall is 'contrary to social standards'. Humiliating and taunting a homeless man in the manner he did whilst filming it is an order of magnitude greater. Yes, it belongs to the 'set' of 'contrary to social standards'. But it also belongs to the set of 'unacceptable to the majority of the population'. This is why it is worthy of greater censure.

Merited according to whom? You? Public opinion in this case will decided what consequences are merited. And it's not looking too rosy for him. Actions have consequences - as a (previously) aspiring lawyer, there is really no reason for him not to have known that. The consequences of his action were entirely foreseeable. Volenti, non fit injuria.
    The majority of the population who do not give a **** about the homeless.Homeless people have been known to die of cold on the streets of our cities. But nobody really cares. Just because people don't burn money in front of the homeless does not mean they are less guilty of not caring. If this guy is punished then it's just a little bit hypocritical really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    Chinless tosser

Ahahahaha, who burned his chin?

ReputationRep:
    Actually:

Spoiler:
    Show
    He sounds like the kind of chinless knob that burns 20 pound notes in front of homeless people.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you would like to support Jimmy's, the local homeless charity in Cambridge, go to:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...immysCambridge

£20 covers the cost of 20 meals.

ReputationRep:
    If you would like to support Jimmy's, the local homeless charity in Cambridge, go to:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...immysCambridge
    PRSOM

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.