Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    The majority of the population who do not give a **** about the homeless.Homeless people have been known to die of cold on the streets of our cities. But nobody really cares. Just because people don't burn money in front of the homeless does not mean they are less guilty of not caring.
    You are overstating that side of it. In particular you are going too far by saying that "nobody really cares". Studies have been done comparing what happens when someone needs help on the street and there are lots of people around with what happens when there are only a few people around. Help is less likely the more people there are. This partly explains why cities are usually less friendly than the countryside. Check out the use of the term "pluralistic ignorance".

(Original post by Robby2312)
    If this guy is punished then it's just a little bit hypocritical really.
    Sure, but at least things would be going in the right direction. Less hypocrisy is better than the same amount of hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player777)
    Its called a typo and using a phone keyboard. Really?
    Perhaps you could explain that comment to stupid ol' me?

You wrote:

"people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless"

I replied

"I doubt you know what "exponentially" means, but (that) statement is utterly ridiculous"

And now you say

"Its [sic] called a typo and using a phone keyboard. Really?"

"Typo" is short for "typographical error" or "typing error". For example someone might type "seroplamt" for "aeroplane" or they might spell something wrong or type the wrong word not because they can't spell or they don't know the right word but simply because they're typing quickly. Pretty much everyone makes typos occasionally and they're no indicator of stupidity.

So if you made a typo, please can you tell me what word you meant to type instead of "exponentially"?

That word is often misused by people who haven't got a clue what it means and think it's an impressive way of saying what could better be communicated using "at a fast rate", "at an increasing rate", or "very". They're more interested in how they come across than in communicating actual premises and chains of argument to the person they're talking to. But not in your case, right? It was just a typing error. So what word did you mean to type?

As for using a phone keyboard, you're responsible for what you post here whether you use a desktop computer or a Morse code machine. Either take more time, take more care, or get a bigger keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    What a twerp. Something smells a bit fishy about this story, however. "Attempted" to set light to it? :beard:

(Original post by Maria ZT)
    So what? She is not responsible for what he does .. They accepted someone with his attitudes
    Guessing you haven't met many Scottish nationalists:mute:

ReputationRep:
    I havent once said that it is in any way acceptable to treat the homeless as lesser people. All I'm saying is that the cambridge 'posh knob' did nothing wrong and is being treated like a criminal.
    Ronald Coyne treated a homeless man as if he were a lesser person than Ronald Coyne. So you're NOT saying you think his action was acceptable, but you ARE saying you think he did nothing wrong. That doesn't make sense. You're not thinking straight.

Its really hard to argue with you when most of what you say about me are your own pre-assumptions. 'ok to pepper spray them' - srs I dont even know how to react to that I really suggest you read my posts once again. I merely said that some people I know did some stuff that is way worse than this story and yet no news agency is making reports about it, and YET I dont think of it as a war crime,
    Your difficulty in arguing with me comes across in your use of notions such as "nobility", "serial murderer" and "war crime"as if I or someone else here who disagrees with you has used such notions, or has argued in a way that is similar to using such notions, when none of us have. You also call the UK "communist". (Which political party here would you say corresponds to the Polish United Workers' Party?)

no its not okay but ive been pepper sprayed myself few times and I didnt die of it (once again pointing out, no I did not pepper spray anyone myself)
    I read what you said and I wasn't suggesting you had used pepper-spray against anyone. What's your point when you say that you didn't die when being attacked with that weapon? Was someone arguing that when a yob, whether rich or poor, attacks a person using pepper-spray without provocation they should always be charged with attempted murder?

We don't know what further evidence might come out when the police interview the victim, the photographer, Coyne himself, and any other witnesses. I am quite sure there are worse actions that would count as offences under section 4a of the Act, and I don't think Coyne should get the maximum sentence of six months in jail. This is assuming he doesn't have a criminal record. As things stand, I think

* he should get expelled from the University immediately

* he should be criminally charged

* pending trial he should get bail on condition that he doesn't go out between 10pm and 7am or drink alcohol (fairly standard for people accused of being yobs who when drunk have caused unprovoked trouble on the street late at night) - and if he breaches either of those conditions he should be jailed

* he should get a sentence of 1 or 2 months in jail with 200 hours of community service.

ReputationRep:
    Just goes to show you can go to Cambridge and be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lopterton)
    Perhaps you could explain that comment to stupid ol' me?

You wrote:

"people from working class backgrounds tend to be exponentially more cruel when it comes to the homeless"

I replied

"I doubt you know what "exponentially" means, but (that) statement is utterly ridiculous"

And now you say

"Its [sic] called a typo and using a phone keyboard. Really?"

"Typo" is short for "typographical error" or "typing error". For example someone might type "seroplamt" for "aeroplane" or they might spell something wrong or type the wrong word not because they can't spell or they don't know the right word but simply because they're typing quickly. Pretty much everyone makes typos occasionally and they're no indicator of stupidity.

So if you made a typo, please can you tell me what word you meant to type instead of "exponentially"?

That word is often misused by people who haven't got a clue what it means and think it's an impressive way of saying what could better be communicated using "at a fast rate", "at an increasing rate", or "very". They're more interested in how they come across than in communicating actual premises and chains of argument to the person they're talking to. But not in your case, right? It was just a typing error. So what word did you mean to type?

As for using a phone keyboard, you're responsible for what you post here whether you use a desktop computer or a Morse code machine. Either take more time, take more care, or get a bigger keyboard.
    Completely off topic. Bloody grammar nazis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The homeless man is more likely a Trumpette than the Cambridge student who burnt money in front of him...
    I get the feeling you are a very kind person and it's a good feeling to have - thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    I would not worry about that too much... Regardless of our pedigree or degree, life has its own ways of teaching us the lessons that we ought to learn... ~

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the term 'Trumpanzee' before?

(Original post by Drez999)
      I get the feeling you are a very kind person and it's a good feeling to have - thank you so much!
      Oh, I am. My kindness is one of the highest. People say to me, "Donald, your heart is so big." And it is.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Strawberry68)
      Just goes to show you can go to Cambridge and be stupid.
      To some of us, this is not news. :bebored:
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
      To some of us, this is not news. :bebored:
      :rofl: PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Oh, I am. My kindness is one of the highest. People say to me, "Donald, your heart is so big." And it is.
      You know, you're marvellous. We love you. I mean, you love me. That's true. We all love me. We love stoopid people. We do. Everyone, kick the little guy at the back who don't look white. Yeah, that's it, kick him good. We love him, we really do.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JohnGreek)
      When you get your name google'd for a job interview and this is the first thing that turns up... :O
      At most of the investment banks, etc, this would boost his chances, not lower them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      If you would like to support Jimmy's, the local homeless charity in Cambridge, go to:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...immysCambridge

£20 covers the cost of 20 meals.
      you can fix it for Jimmy's

ReputationRep:
      Shame to see CUCA is just like OUCA. Don't buy for a second that this is somehow not representative of CUCA - this behaviour didn't come out of nowhere. It will have been clear what he was like.

ReputationRep:
      Isn't burning money in front of a homeless person an initiation for some societies?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nexttime)
      Shame to see CUCA is just like OUCA. Don't buy for a second that this is somehow not representative of CUCA - this behaviour didn't come out of nowhere. It will have been clear what he was like.
      I suspect this is probably a regular thing for them, he just happened to get nobbled on video.

The age of the smartphone makes it so much harder for today's Tory students to behave in the sort of public obnoxious ways that have always been part of their ritual life before they entered the mainstream party of estate agents, chiselling crooks, massive bores and demented Europhobes they aspire to.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
      Nothing to do with CUCA. This is a nasty smear. Sad!
      This reads like one of Donald Trump's tweets.

To some extent the nasty party will always attract the lion's share of unpleasant people in this world for fairly obvious reasons - 'the homeless are what you step over when you come out of the opera' - the greater problem is really that those in authority seem not to care one dot about incidents of this kind unless media embarrassment comes a-calling and a hate-filled culture that would never be tolerated in other mainstream party organisations has been allowed to thrive.

The bullying culture within the Tory youth wing resulted in the suicide of a young man despite those in authority having been made aware of the situation by the victim. One of the principal actors in taunting this boy to death was kept on and has more recently been arrested on suspicion of rape committed on a young woman within the Parliament building itself.

The fact is that the Conservative Party is riddled with this kind of Tatler Toryism on which basic standards of treating other people never seem to have dawned, but more importantly the party itself does not seem to seriously see a problem and has acted accordingly on multiple occasions with predictably disastrous results. This incident is not cut-off from the culture that is tolerated and encouraged within the Conservative Party and closely affiliated groups such as CUCA, it is a symptom of that wider problem and out of a sense of decency to its many victims should be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nexttime)
      He's also a member of Pembroke College... should we judge Pembroke negatively for that?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.