Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    A considered piece about it in The Tab tonight:
    http://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/11/rona...-vitriol-32669

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Oh dear! I doubt even the Trumpettes of TSR will challenge the view that this is appalling.
    Remind me again what this has to do with Trump? :colonhash:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    Remind me again what this has to do with Trump? :colonhash:
    I believe he was a Trump supporter. That was the only link.

ReputationRep:
    Burning £20 in front of a homeless person is not a regular thing to see happen in Cambridge.

You know what is unfortunately all too regular? Them getting spat at, urinated on, and physically assaulted - at least according to the man involved in this particular incident, who was interviewed about it in the Cambridge News.

All of these incidents (in my view) constitute abuse at least as bad and none of them have caused the sort of frenzy this one has. Why not? Because the tabloid papers can't use them to whip people into an uproar over class differences, and because only a very small proportion of the people who've chosen to engage with this in social media actually care about the state of the homeless.

The engagement here seems to be almost entirely focused on sending the perpetrator here abuse. What's the point? Apart from the irony of calling someone you don't know a nasty piece of work and then sending violent threats to them (someone set up a facebook profile for him used almost exclusively for this purpose), the student in question now faces a self-imposed social exile so severe that regardless of the action taken by the university, I don't see why he'd want to stay. Moreover, this is the first thing any employer will see when they search him up. All the negative energy could be spent in much more productive ways - like the current drive to raise money for the homeless that's happening as a result of this, which has raised £1700 when I last heard of it, even if it is reactionary.

I just wish people would stop reacting to this in a way that makes me feel almost sorry for the perpetrator here - because he's not the person anyone should really feel sorry for in this instance. He is still a person though, as are his family, and I really wish people would consider that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    which has raised £1700 when I last heard of it, even if it is reactionary.

I just wish people would stop reacting to this in a way that makes me feel almost sorry for the perpetrator here - because he's not the person anyone should really feel sorry for in this instance. He is still a person though, as are his family, and I really wish people would consider that.
    Jimmy's has raised well in excess of £5k this weekend. One specific campaign has raised £4k alone but there are others on top including a large increase in direct donations.

And just to note the other people who are harrasing rough sleepers are not necessarily students.

They will welcome more donations here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...immysCambridge
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jneill)
    A considered piece about it in The Tab tonight:
    http://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/11/rona...-vitriol-32669
    I found myself agreeing with much of that. I do feel sorry for the guy, though he's done nothing (yet) to deserve it. He should be allowed to atone for his actions and move on with his life, but I fear this hate campaign will only alienate and embitter him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Tory = Hitler = Trump
    You might need to show your working out for that one!
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I believe he was a Trump supporter. That was the only link.
    So are the millions of Americans who voted for him, but they don't feel the need to burn money in front of the homeless. I think making tenuous links to a story that took place in Cambridge to American politics, presumably with intentions to stir up trouble in the UK regarding the president, is very low and sloppy journalism from those who made the claim. What that student did is disgusting, but lets not use this story as some political vehicle when this is not the case.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You might need to show your working out for that one!

So are the millions of Americans who voted for him, but they don't feel the need to burn money in front of the homeless. I think making tenuous links to a story that took place in Cambridge to American politics, presumably with intentions to stir up trouble in the UK, is very low and sloppy journalism from those who made the claim. What that student did is disgusting, but lets not use this story as some political vehicle when this is not necessary.
    I was answering your question. I simply gave you an answer. How would it stir up trouble in the UK by discussing his politics, if in fact that his were his allegiance lay?

As for the last bit then you obviously dont post on TSR much. SMH.

ReputationRep:
    I was answering your question. I simply gave you an answer. How would it stir up trouble in the UK by discussing his politics, if in fact that his were his allegiance lay?

As for the last bit then you obviously dont post on TSR much. SMH.
    You're serious, right? You need to pay attention to the news more. Reports left, right and centre making these links whenever they can, even when they do not exist. Tell me, what does the fact that he is a Trump supporter have to do with his actions in Cambridge? The papers found this out from the student's Facebook page, of all things. I have no problem with discussing politics in the US, and I disagree with Trump on a lot of his decisions, but what other reason would papers have to include this information, other than to stir up bad feelings by associating the actions of this student with the US president?

As for your second point, you should take 30 seconds to check my stats on here before jumping to conclusions. I post regularly. SMH.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    but what other reason would papers have to include this information, other than to stir up trouble by associating the actions of this student with the US president?
    You know the Daily Mail is being sued by the Trumps to the tune of $150m in a libel case? It's therefore unsurprising they were among the first to publish the extract mentioning the student's support for Trump (it's not his Facebook profile - it's his actual school yearbook).

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I wonder if any one of the mob who were so quick to abuse him will feel a tinge of regret if he commits suicide.
    Hence the follow-up article in The Tab I linked earleir.

ReputationRep:
    You know the Daily Mail is being sued by the Trumps to the tune of $150m in a libel case? It's therefore unsurprising they were among the first to publish the extract mentioning the student's support for Trump (it's not his Facebook profile - it's his actual school yearbook).
    Interesting- although I'm not surprised. I'm sure I've also read it was on his Facebook page in some articles?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Interesting- although I'm not surprised. I'm sure I've also read it was on his Facebook page in some articles?
    Maybe it's both. That only reinforces the connection
    And an earlier poster mentioned he turned up for Fresher's with a MAGA hat on...

The libel case: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7566356.html
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You're serious, right? You need to pay attention to the news more. Reports left, right and centre making these links whenever they can, even when they do not exist. Tell me, what does the fact that he is a Trump supporter have to do with his actions in Cambridge? The papers found this out from the student's Facebook page, of all things. I have no problem with discussing politics in the US, and I disagree with Trump on a lot of his decisions, but what other reason would papers have to include this information, other than to stir up bad feelings by associating the actions of this student with the US president?

As for your second point, you should take 30 seconds to check my stats on here before jumping to conclusions. I post regularly. SMH.
    Because that is how the media work. In this case it is supposed toff/ right wing con/ Trump supporter and that keeps their storyline going, especially for their readership. Think you are naive on how the papers work. They arent always fair.

My second point is that TSR is no different. A high number of threads are started off against people who have the most tenuous of links to organisations or people they disapprove of. The responses are little to do with the OP, but another opportunity to attack their political enemies.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Maybe it's both. That only reinforces the connection
    And an earlier poster mentioned he turned for Fresher's with a MAGA hat on...

The libel case: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7566356.html
    Isnt there some ethics rule about her attempting to profit from being FLOTUS?

ReputationRep:
    Because that is how the media work. In this case it is supposed toff/ right wing con/ Trump supporter and that keeps their storyline going, especially for their readership. Think you are naive on how the papers work. They arent always fair.

My second point is that TSR is no different. A high number of threads are started off against people who have the most tenuous of links to organisations or people they disapprove of. The responses are little to do with the OP, but another opportunity to attack their political enemies.
    I agree with that. It's just such a shame that there's so much of this about. It's only got worse since Brexit and the American election. It's made any pre-existing political bias in the media so blindingly obvious it's hard to believe at times.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Isnt there some ethics rule about her attempting to profit from being FLOTUS?
    That's a different issue to the libel case. But yes I'm sure there is.

Edit to update: and yup I missed the FLOTUS ethics connection aluded to in the article. Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    He's also a member of Pembroke College... should we judge Pembroke negatively for that?
    Some people will unless they take appropriate action. That is why he is likely to be disciplined under some disrepute rule, which will distance the college completely from his actions.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    That's a different issue to the libel case. But yes I'm sure there is.
    My point is the story you linked showed the additional claim i.e losing profit from a contract as FLOTUS which would have been unlawful/ unethical if they had gone ahead.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I agree with that. It's just such a shame that there's so much of this about. It's only got worse since Brexit and the American election. It's made any pre-existing political bias in the media so blindingly obvious it's hard to believe at times.
    You see I was merely answering your question and not seeking to claim the logic of those who make the connection. In the early life of the story, then papers are hungry to throw in any information they can. If he had been a left winger then they would have gone for Corbyn, commie unemployed. They did in fact try and lay some of it off in Sturgeon, which was even more tenuous. Its also the way social media works.

ReputationRep:
    You see I was merely answering your question and not seeking to claim the logic of those who make the connection. In the early life of the story, then papers are hungry to throw in any information they can. If he had been a left winger then they would have gone for Corbyn, commie unemployed. They did in fact try and lay some of it off in Sturgeon, which was even more tenuous. Its also the way social media works.
    Was the only evidence of the Sturgeon connection that he had links to Edinburgh?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.