Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    This reads like one of Donald Trump's tweets.
    Gee, does it? I'll have to look into that.

ReputationRep:
    if i saw someone do that i'd be in the police station. anyone with a baseline of morals would be aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    He's also a member of Pembroke College... should we judge Pembroke negatively for that?
    I suspect CUSU members who voted him in knew what he was like socially a lot better than Pembroke College did.

I am also admittedly drawing on stereotypes, but a pretty true stereotype in my experience.

Not all members of CUSU of course, but on balance of probability there probably is a poisonous core just like at OUSU.

Having said all that... I do feel a little sorry for him. He sounds like a horrible, horrible person, but the impact this will have on his ability to get a job will surely be pretty significant, not to mention the abuse he'll probably get in the street for the next few weeks walking around Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I suspect CUSU members who voted him in knew what he was like socially a lot better than Pembroke College did.

I am also admittedly drawing on stereotypes, but a pretty true stereotype in my experience.

Not all members of CUSU of course, but on balance of probability there probably is a poisonous core just like at OUSU.

Having said all that... I do feel a little sorry for him. He sounds like a horrible, horrible person, but the impact this will have on his ability to get a job will surely be pretty significant, not to mention the abuse he'll probably get in the street for the next few weeks walking around Cambridge.
    Meh I don't know anyone in CUCA, but your stereotype of CUCA is a bit like what a random public member might think of Oxbridge students in general. So I think it is unfair to characterise people like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Meh I don't know anyone in CUCA, but your stereotype of CUCA is a bit like what a random public member might think of Oxbridge students in general. So I think it is unfair to characterise people like that.
    I know... its just when you've had scandal after scandal, ranging from things like multiple members singing songs about killing jews, to allegations of widespread racism, to what I've seen in the street, to holding meetings about inequality in Mayfair hotels... it adds up and its hard not to consider the whole club toxic. Then you've got this to link CUCA to the same kind of behaviour.

If I met a OUCA member I would judge them individually, but if a friend was talking about joining i would warn them to stay well away.

Would you defend the Bullingdon in he same way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I know... its just when you've had scandal after scandal, ranging from things like multiple members singing songs about killing jews, to allegations of widespread racism, to what I've seen in the street, to holding meetings about inequality in Mayfair hotels... it adds up and its hard not to consider the whole club toxic. Then you've got this to link CUCA to the same kind of behaviour.

If I met a OUCA member I would judge them individually, but if a friend was talking about joining i would warn them to stay well away.

Would you defend the Bullingdon in he same way?
    I'm not sure I've heard much negative behaviour from CUCA members? And as I said above, if Coyne's behaviour supposedly reflects badly on CUCA, then by the same logic, it also reflects badly on Pembroke, the university itself etc. (I think someone associated with CUCA made a similar point in a comment to the Tab.)

I heard nothing much from CUCA during my time at the university, which gives me the impression that it's probably one of many pretty boring political societies.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A considered piece about it in The Tab tonight:
    http://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/11/rona...-vitriol-32669

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Oh dear! I doubt even the Trumpettes of TSR will challenge the view that this is appalling.
    Remind me again what this has to do with Trump? :colonhash:

(Original post by A Slice of Pi)
      Tory = Hitler = Trump
      • Very Important Poster

I believe he was a Trump supporter. That was the only link.

ReputationRep:
      Burning £20 in front of a homeless person is not a regular thing to see happen in Cambridge.

You know what is unfortunately all too regular? Them getting spat at, urinated on, and physically assaulted - at least according to the man involved in this particular incident, who was interviewed about it in the Cambridge News.

All of these incidents (in my view) constitute abuse at least as bad and none of them have caused the sort of frenzy this one has. Why not? Because the tabloid papers can't use them to whip people into an uproar over class differences, and because only a very small proportion of the people who've chosen to engage with this in social media actually care about the state of the homeless.

The engagement here seems to be almost entirely focused on sending the perpetrator here abuse. What's the point? Apart from the irony of calling someone you don't know a nasty piece of work and then sending violent threats to them (someone set up a facebook profile for him used almost exclusively for this purpose), the student in question now faces a self-imposed social exile so severe that regardless of the action taken by the university, I don't see why he'd want to stay. Moreover, this is the first thing any employer will see when they search him up. All the negative energy could be spent in much more productive ways - like the current drive to raise money for the homeless that's happening as a result of this, which has raised £1700 when I last heard of it, even if it is reactionary.

I just wish people would stop reacting to this in a way that makes me feel almost sorry for the perpetrator here - because he's not the person anyone should really feel sorry for in this instance. He is still a person though, as are his family, and I really wish people would consider that.
      • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DJMayes)
      which has raised £1700 when I last heard of it, even if it is reactionary.

I just wish people would stop reacting to this in a way that makes me feel almost sorry for the perpetrator here - because he's not the person anyone should really feel sorry for in this instance. He is still a person though, as are his family, and I really wish people would consider that.
      Jimmy's has raised well in excess of £5k this weekend. One specific campaign has raised £4k alone but there are others on top including a large increase in direct donations.

And just to note the other people who are harrasing rough sleepers are not necessarily students.

They will welcome more donations here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...immysCambridge
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      A considered piece about it in The Tab tonight:
      http://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/11/rona...-vitriol-32669
      I found myself agreeing with much of that. I do feel sorry for the guy, though he's done nothing (yet) to deserve it. He should be allowed to atone for his actions and move on with his life, but I fear this hate campaign will only alienate and embitter him.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Tory = Hitler = Trump
      You might need to show your working out for that one!
      (Original post by 999tigger)
      I believe he was a Trump supporter. That was the only link.
      So are the millions of Americans who voted for him, but they don't feel the need to burn money in front of the homeless. I think making tenuous links to a story that took place in Cambridge to American politics, presumably with intentions to stir up trouble in the UK regarding the president, is very low and sloppy journalism from those who made the claim. What that student did is disgusting, but lets not use this story as some political vehicle when this is not the case.
      • Very Important Poster

You might need to show your working out for that one!

So are the millions of Americans who voted for him, but they don't feel the need to burn money in front of the homeless. I think making tenuous links to a story that took place in Cambridge to American politics, presumably with intentions to stir up trouble in the UK, is very low and sloppy journalism from those who made the claim. What that student did is disgusting, but lets not use this story as some political vehicle when this is not necessary.
      I was answering your question. I simply gave you an answer. How would it stir up trouble in the UK by discussing his politics, if in fact that his were his allegiance lay?

As for the last bit then you obviously dont post on TSR much. SMH.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 999tigger)
      I was answering your question. I simply gave you an answer. How would it stir up trouble in the UK by discussing his politics, if in fact that his were his allegiance lay?

As for the last bit then you obviously dont post on TSR much. SMH.
      You're serious, right? You need to pay attention to the news more. Reports left, right and centre making these links whenever they can, even when they do not exist. Tell me, what does the fact that he is a Trump supporter have to do with his actions in Cambridge? The papers found this out from the student's Facebook page, of all things. I have no problem with discussing politics in the US, and I disagree with Trump on a lot of his decisions, but what other reason would papers have to include this information, other than to stir up bad feelings by associating the actions of this student with the US president?

As for your second point, you should take 30 seconds to check my stats on here before jumping to conclusions. I post regularly. SMH.

(Original post by DJMayes)
        Burning £20 in front of a homeless person is not a regular thing to see happen in Cambridge.

You know what is unfortunately all too regular? Them getting spat at, urinated on, and physically assaulted - at least according to the man involved in this particular incident, who was interviewed about it in the Cambridge News.

All of these incidents (in my view) constitute abuse at least as bad and none of them have caused the sort of frenzy this one has. Why not? Because the tabloid papers can't use them to whip people into an uproar over class differences, and because only a very small proportion of the people who've chosen to engage with this in social media actually care about the state of the homeless.

The engagement here seems to be almost entirely focused on sending the perpetrator here abuse. What's the point? Apart from the irony of calling someone you don't know a nasty piece of work and then sending violent threats to them (someone set up a facebook profile for him used almost exclusively for this purpose), the student in question now faces a self-imposed social exile so severe that regardless of the action taken by the university, I don't see why he'd want to stay. Moreover, this is the first thing any employer will see when they search him up. All the negative energy could be spent in much more productive ways - like the current drive to raise money for the homeless that's happening as a result of this, which has raised £1700 when I last heard of it, even if it is reactionary.

I wonder if any one of the mob who were so quick to abuse him will feel a tinge of regret if he commits suicide.
        • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
        but what other reason would papers have to include this information, other than to stir up trouble by associating the actions of this student with the US president?
        You know the Daily Mail is being sued by the Trumps to the tune of $150m in a libel case? It's therefore unsurprising they were among the first to publish the extract mentioning the student's support for Trump (it's not his Facebook profile - it's his actual school yearbook).

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
        I wonder if any one of the mob who were so quick to abuse him will feel a tinge of regret if he commits suicide.
        Hence the follow-up article in The Tab I linked earleir.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jneill)
        You know the Daily Mail is being sued by the Trumps to the tune of $150m in a libel case? It's therefore unsurprising they were among the first to publish the extract mentioning the student's support for Trump (it's not his Facebook profile - it's his actual school yearbook).
        Interesting- although I'm not surprised. I'm sure I've also read it was on his Facebook page in some articles?
        • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
        Interesting- although I'm not surprised. I'm sure I've also read it was on his Facebook page in some articles?
        Maybe it's both. That only reinforces the connection
        And an earlier poster mentioned he turned up for Fresher's with a MAGA hat on...

The libel case: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7566356.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.