Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

• Very Important Poster

(Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    You're serious, right? You need to pay attention to the news more. Reports left, right and centre making these links whenever they can, even when they do not exist. Tell me, what does the fact that he is a Trump supporter have to do with his actions in Cambridge? The papers found this out from the student's Facebook page, of all things. I have no problem with discussing politics in the US, and I disagree with Trump on a lot of his decisions, but what other reason would papers have to include this information, other than to stir up bad feelings by associating the actions of this student with the US president?

As for your second point, you should take 30 seconds to check my stats on here before jumping to conclusions. I post regularly. SMH.
    Because that is how the media work. In this case it is supposed toff/ right wing con/ Trump supporter and that keeps their storyline going, especially for their readership. Think you are naive on how the papers work. They arent always fair.

My second point is that TSR is no different. A high number of threads are started off against people who have the most tenuous of links to organisations or people they disapprove of. The responses are little to do with the OP, but another opportunity to attack their political enemies.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by jneill)
    Maybe it's both. That only reinforces the connection
    And an earlier poster mentioned he turned for Fresher's with a MAGA hat on...

The libel case: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7566356.html
    Isnt there some ethics rule about her attempting to profit from being FLOTUS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Because that is how the media work. In this case it is supposed toff/ right wing con/ Trump supporter and that keeps their storyline going, especially for their readership. Think you are naive on how the papers work. They arent always fair.

My second point is that TSR is no different. A high number of threads are started off against people who have the most tenuous of links to organisations or people they disapprove of. The responses are little to do with the OP, but another opportunity to attack their political enemies.
    I agree with that. It's just such a shame that there's so much of this about. It's only got worse since Brexit and the American election. It's made any pre-existing political bias in the media so blindingly obvious it's hard to believe at times.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Isnt there some ethics rule about her attempting to profit from being FLOTUS?
    That's a different issue to the libel case. But yes I'm sure there is.

Edit to update: and yup I missed the FLOTUS ethics connection aluded to in the article. Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    He's also a member of Pembroke College... should we judge Pembroke negatively for that?
    Some people will unless they take appropriate action. That is why he is likely to be disciplined under some disrepute rule, which will distance the college completely from his actions.
    • Very Important Poster

That's a different issue to the libel case. But yes I'm sure there is.
    My point is the story you linked showed the additional claim i.e losing profit from a contract as FLOTUS which would have been unlawful/ unethical if they had gone ahead.
    • Very Important Poster

I agree with that. It's just such a shame that there's so much of this about. It's only got worse since Brexit and the American election. It's made any pre-existing political bias in the media so blindingly obvious it's hard to believe at times.
    You see I was merely answering your question and not seeking to claim the logic of those who make the connection. In the early life of the story, then papers are hungry to throw in any information they can. If he had been a left winger then they would have gone for Corbyn, commie unemployed. They did in fact try and lay some of it off in Sturgeon, which was even more tenuous. Its also the way social media works.

You know the Daily Mail is being sued by the Trumps to the tune of $150m in a libel case? It's therefore unsurprising they were among the first to publish the extract mentioning the student's support for Trump (it's not his Facebook profile - it's his actual school yearbook).
      The Daily Mail confuses me sometimes. I'd have thought they would be the greatest supporters of Trump, but they are too stupid and bitter to even have a coherent message.

Hence the follow-up article in The Tab I linked earleir.
      I didn't see that. Stories like this are a great reminder for me never to get drunk myself. Not that I'd go around burning money in front of the homeless, but why take the risk of utterly ruining your life for a couple of drinks?

ReputationRep:
      You see I was merely answering your question and not seeking to claim the logic of those who make the connection. In the early life of the story, then papers are hungry to throw in any information they can. If he had been a left winger then they would have gone for Corbyn, commie unemployed. They did in fact try and lay some of it off in Sturgeon, which was even more tenuous. Its also the way social media works.
      Was the only evidence of the Sturgeon connection that he had links to Edinburgh?
      • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      The Daily Mail confuses me sometimes. I'd have thought they would be the greatest supporters of Trump, but they are too stupid and bitter to even have a coherent message.

I didn't see that. Stories like this are a great reminder for me never to get drunk myself. Not that I'd go around burning money in front of the homeless, but why take the risk of utterly ruining your life for a couple of drinks?
      Indeed. And it's not as if there aren't any ex-Oxbridge ex-Conservative Association journos at the DM.

Was the only evidence of the Sturgeon connection that he had links to Edinburgh?
      It was detailed earlier in this thread.
      • Very Important Poster

He is the son of the brother of the ex husband. of the sister of Sturgeons husband.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Bit late to the party but it always interests me how stories like this focus on vilifying the individual with no mention of the underlying problem. Yes, he did an absolutely **** thing but instead of giving him national press and humiliating him for the fun of it why not highlight the growing problem of homelessness? Why not do pieces on charities such as shelter and the salvation army and encourage people to donate? The cynic in me says because it wouldn't get the same amount of clicks, shares and like.

My friend made some excellent points on this too.
      Cambridge is a pretty affluent place as well, it would be very easy to burn through the money by spending it on things people don't really need; a round of drinks, half a jack Wills Scarf, a giant Mollie Coookie... advertising, branding, especially clothing creates value from wanting to parade around with or using something that other people don't have.
      We all burn money in front of someone in that sense

ReputationRep:
      Overheard at a table of "rugger bugger" types yesterday in Churchill College, after they had toasted "Sir Winston":

"What do we think of Ronald Coyne?"

"SOUND!"

There's a problem at Cambridge with more than just one guy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by a^n)
      Overheard at a table of "rugger bugger" types yesterday in Churchill College, after they had toasted "Sir Winston":

"What do we think of Ronald Coyne?"

"SOUND!"

There's a problem at Cambridge with more than just one guy.
      Are people really like that there?

ReputationRep:
      Some are, yes. Most at Churchill aren't. Please don't think I am tarring all Churchill students with the same brush.

A lot of the "usual" braying Tory types who so enjoy toasting Winston Churchill were present for the pro-Ronald Coyne toast. As far as I could tell, they all took part in the shouting of "Sound!" and not a single one of them demurred.
      • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
      There's "people like that" everywhere - including other universities.

That doesn't mean all, or anything like a significant minority, are like that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reality Check)
      Why? Why doesn't attending a top pubic school automatically mean that he should suddenly 'know better'. As if the monied background suddenly makes the idiocy of youth sometimes vanish like the morning mist? Logically speaking, leading a life full of privilege would mean it's less reasonable to expect him to know better, because he's less likely to have been exposed to any sort of privation or disadvantage.
      True.

The guy is a total idiot. I don't think the mother is helping very much, either. She's come up with 'oh, he'd was never that kind of person..so kind...would never do something like that, it's not in his nature" type spiel. Well, lady, in my opinion you don't suddenly decide one day to humiliate those most deprived and vulnerable in society because you thought it'd be a jolly jape - it's something deep in your character which results in *****y behaviour like this. The mother clearly doesn't know the son very well.
      There's peer group pressure that makes people do dumb things just to fit in. The top unis can be a pressure cooker of conformity. If you didn't go to grammar /selective schl, or come from a rich family you don't fit in. And if you find a crew to hang out with, you're unlikely to say no to the stupid stuff everyone wants you to do.

Peer group pressure, and hazing exerts a powerful influence. The top French unis have it -- its called le buzutage. Its easy to blame the victim of this, instead of going after the perpetrators.

However, it's a shame this is another weapon in the class war that is Town v. Gown, Uni v. non-Uni, South v. North, Poor v. Rich et... The Daily Mail is going to dine out on it, but the story could have been custom written for them. It's a gift. He'll be hounded down (his family and friends) publicly flogged and humiliated and then hung out to dry. That's how we do things, and I don't think in this case it's entirely unwarranted. I just hope that it doesn't result in even more ferociously bright potential Cambridge students from disadvantaged backgrounds being further put off from applying because, it seems, it really "isn't for them".
      It will put off disadvantaged students from going to Cambridge because they either conform and get kicked out doing the very things the rich do (and get away with), or refuse and spend 3 years of uni alone and ostracised by the rich kids.

I don't agree what the dude's done, but I feel sorry for him.

I think it's easy to sit in judgement and demand the worst punishment on him like a baying mob, while the rich kids who set this up get away with it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by a^n)
      Some are, yes. Most at Churchill aren't. Please don't think I am tarring all Churchill students with the same brush.

A lot of the "usual" braying Tory types who so enjoy toasting Winston Churchill were present for the pro-Ronald Coyne toast. As far as I could tell, they all took part in the shouting of "Sound!" and not a single one of them demurred.
      They sound very political, so I can't help but wonder what subjects they're studying.
      • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
      It will put off disadvantaged students from going to Cambridge because they either conform and get kicked out doing the very things the rich do (and get away with), or refuse and spend 3 years of uni alone and ostracised by the rich kids.
      This bit is rubbish.

Edit to add: the majority of Cambridge students are not "rich kids", and neither are they ostracised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ForestCat)
      Bit late to the party but it always interests me how stories like this focus on vilifying the individual with no mention of the underlying problem. Yes, he did an absolutely **** thing but instead of giving him national press and humiliating him for the fun of it why not highlight the growing problem of homelessness? Why not do pieces on charities such as shelter and the salvation army and encourage people to donate? The cynic in me says because it wouldn't get the same amount of clicks, shares and like.
      I think its because deep down, people who enjoy the suffering of others especially if a person messes up in such a way that allows them to unleash their vilification without reserve.

Remind me of the book 1984 where the rigidly controlled masses are occasionally encouraged to let rip at a chosen target during 'Hate Week' by the totalitarian regime.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.