Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a^n)
    Overheard at a table of "rugger bugger" types yesterday in Churchill College, after they had toasted "Sir Winston":

"What do we think of Ronald Coyne?"

"SOUND!"

There's a problem at Cambridge with more than just one guy.
    I think you could anecdotally replaced 'Cambridge' here with Oxford, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Nottingham.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    I think its because deep down, people who enjoy the suffering of others especially if a person messes up in such a way that allows them to unleash their vilification without reserve.

Remind me of the book 1984 where the rigidly controlled masses are occasionally encouraged to let rip at a chosen target during 'Hate Week' by the totalitarian regime.
    You just described TSR and social media in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You just described TSR and social media in general.
    That's right. That's why I have reservations about joining in with the baying mob to condemn that student.

TSR allows nasty people to hide behind their anonymity to regularly troll, bully and threaten other people. Unfortunately, some of the mods are part of the problem by either participating the trolling or failing to take action against trolls. Possibly because controversy keeps people posting and this keeps the forum popular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a^n)
    Overheard at a table of "rugger bugger" types yesterday in Churchill College, after they had toasted "Sir Winston":

"What do we think of Ronald Coyne?"

"SOUND!"

There's a problem at Cambridge with more than just one guy.
    As compelling an analysis of Cambridge's social make-up as this very scientific survey of people who happened to be within your earshot yesterday provides, it sounds pretty likely to me that they weren't serious.

(Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    Are people really like that there?
    No.
    • Very Important Poster

That's right. That's why I have reservations about joining in with the baying mob to condemn that student.

TSR allows nasty people to hide behind their anonymity to regularly troll, bully and threaten other people. Unfortunately, some of the mods are part of the problem by either participating the trolling or failing to take action against trolls. Possibly because controversy keeps people posting and this keeps the forum popular?
    Perhaps they are constantly removing offensive threads and you dont see the speed at which they reappear.

Its pretty easy to condemn the student. His actions speak for themselves.

Perhaps they are constantly removing offensive threads and you dont see the speed at which they reappear.
      No offense to the mods, I'm sure this isn't their fault but the fault of having a huge workload, but whenever I report something, it takes between 4-12 hours usually for it to be processed by the mods. And whenever one of my threads is put "under review", again it takes hours and sometimes days.

ReputationRep:

Its pretty easy to condemn the student. His actions speak for themselves.
      Some offensive threads don't get removed for a long time. Like the numerous far right and women hating threads, for example..

This is my response to so on post 258:

" There's peer group pressure that makes people do dumb things just to fit in. The top unis can be a pressure cooker of conformity. If you didn't go to grammar /selective schl, or come from a rich family you don't fit in. And if you find a crew to hang out with, you're unlikely to say no to the stupid stuff everyone wants you to do.

Peer group pressure, and hazing exerts a powerful influence. The top French unis have it -- its called le buzutage. Its easy to blame the victim of this, instead of going after the perpetrators.

It will put off disadvantaged students from going to Cambridge because they either conform and get kicked out doing the very things the rich do (and get away with), or refuse and spend 3 years of uni alone and ostracised by the rich kids.

I don't agree what the dude's done, but I feel sorry for him.

I think it's easy to sit in judgement and demand the worst punishment on him like a baying mob, while the rich kids who set this up get away with it."
      • Section Leader
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      No offense to the mods, I'm sure this isn't their fault but the fault of having a huge workload, but whenever I report something, it takes between 4-12 hours usually for it to be processed by the mods. And whenever one of my threads is put "under review", again it takes hours and sometimes days.
      Some offensive threads don't get removed for a long time. Like the numerous far right and women hating threads, for example..
      If you see something offensive please report it.

But please keep discussion of moderation to the TSR Feedback or AskTheCT thread.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      That's a different issue to the libel case.
      It isn't. She is claiming that had she not been libelled she would have been able to make loads of money because of the publicity she'd get as FLOTUS.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
      As compelling an analysis of Cambridge's social make-up as this very scientific survey of people who happened to be within your earshot yesterday provides, it sounds pretty likely to me that they weren't serious.

No.
      Well make up your mind - are they non-existent or non-serious? They can't be both, What they are is disgusting types who should not hold places at a public university.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
      The poster was simply sharing one of their experiences - there's nothing wrong with that, and that's why these threads exist! Clearly, it is not intended as a "very scientific survey of people" at Cambridge, and certainly did not make a generalisation of people there. Although, inevitably there will be a minority of people out there thinking the actions of the student were "sound", at Cambridge and elsewhere...

ReputationRep:
      It will put off disadvantaged students from going to Cambridge because they either conform and get kicked out doing the very things the rich do (and get away with), or refuse and spend 3 years of uni alone and ostracised by the rich kids.
      This is just completely untrue though. Are you at Oxbridge? The majority of students are state-educated. Of the privately educated, the majority are normal, nice people.

In my college you'd get called out for being a conservative supporter. If there was any pressure, it was pressure to not reveal you were a rich tory.

I'm also confused by why you're making excuses for this guy - is there evidence this was part of a 'hazing' or that he was pressured into it?

ReputationRep:
      There's "people like that" everywhere - including other universities.

That doesn't mean all, or anything like a significant minority, are like that.
      That word "sound" is one of their favourites. You're right they exist at several universities.

But they don't support several political parties. I've never encountered this behaviour, or admiration for it, among supporters of any other political party than the Tories.

Not all Tories are like it - think of all the small shopkeepers for example - but nobody in the Tory party has ever done anything to try to stamp this attitude out or chuck these types out on their ears. They are welcome in that party, so long as they don't do it too publicly - but they all know what their common good is and they try to look after it. They're "clubmen" basically. They feel the Tory party is their natural political home. And it is, because theirs is a deeply rooted culture inside the part of society that is represented by the Tory party.

ReputationRep:
      This bit is rubbish.

Edit to add: the majority of Cambridge students are not "rich kids", and neither are they ostracised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      PRSOM
      • Section Leader
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by glowinglight)
      It isn't. She is claiming that had she not been libelled she would have been able to make loads of money because of the publicity she'd get as FLOTUS.
      Noted. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by glowinglight)
      Well make up your mind - are they non-existent or non-serious? They can't be both, What they are is disgusting types who should not hold places at a public university.
      They could be existent but unrepresentative, which was my point.

(Original post by A Slice of Pi)
      Inevitably there will be a minority of people out there thinking the actions of the student were "sound", at Cambridge and elsewhere...
      I'm sure, but the likelihood is that such people wouldn't make a noise about it publicly. If you hear a group of people speaking publicly in the way the poster described, chances are they're either having a joke amongst themselves or your reaction is the joke.
      • Very Important Poster

This is my response to so on post 258:

" There's peer group pressure that makes people do dumb things just to fit in. The top unis can be a pressure cooker of conformity. If you didn't go to grammar /selective schl, or come from a rich family you don't fit in. And if you find a crew to hang out with, you're unlikely to say no to the stupid stuff everyone wants you to do.

Peer group pressure, and hazing exerts a powerful influence. The top French unis have it -- its called le buzutage. Its easy to blame the victim of this, instead of going after the perpetrators.

I don't agree what the dude's done, but I feel sorry for him.

I think it's easy to sit in judgement and demand the worst punishment on him like a baying mob, while the rich kids who set this up get away with it."
      If you see a thread which breaks the rules then the facility is there to report it. I am quite surprised at the levels of some of the consistent haters, but thats who posts on TSR.

Its quite easy to condemn him. he should take responsibility for his own actions. maybe it was some initiation thing or maybe it was in his character, but he still did it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nexttime)
      This is just completely untrue though. Are you at Oxbridge? The majority of students are state-educated. Of the privately educated, the majority are normal, nice people.

In my college you'd get called out for being a conservative supporter. If there was any pressure, it was pressure to not reveal you were a rich tory.
      It won't completely put off every disadvantaged person from applying to Cambridge, but I think the effect of this and similar events will discourage some to some extent. Not everyone knows that the majority of Cambridge students went to state schools.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nexttime)

I'm also confused by why you're making excuses for this guy - is there evidence this was part of a 'hazing' or that he was pressured into it?
      I went to a school where there were a few tories, and lefties. No one had a problem. But bullying and older kids forcing weaker/younger kids to perform humiliating acts or challenges to fit in is rife.

Why is evidence needed for the student's innocence but not his guilt? While everyone rushes to condemn the student, why shouldn't some people say 'hey, wait a minute?'

The student couldn't have done it on his own. This is something you do with your buddies watching and cheering you on. The fact he was trying to film it - what for, if not to show someone he's done the dare? Seems like hazing to me.

I think the other involved parties will escape punishment whether the students says anything or not. Mostly not. He's got to survive another 2 years of uni with these people (if he doesn't get kicked out first).
      • Very Important Poster

I went to a school where there were a few tories, and lefties. No one had a problem. But bullying and older kids forcing weaker/younger kids to perform humiliating acts or challenges to fit in is rife.

Why is evidence needed for the student's innocence but not his guilt? While everyone rushes to condemn the student, why shouldn't some people say 'hey, wait a minute?'

The student couldn't have done it on his own. This is something you do with your buddies watching and cheering you on. The fact he was trying to film it - what for, if not to show someone he's done the dare? Seems like hazing to me.

I think the other involved parties will escape punishment whether the students says anything or not. Mostly not. He's got to survive another 2 years of uni with these people (if he doesn't get kicked out first).
      Nobody else was implicated but any disciplinary hearing would look at all the evidence. There has been no denial he did it. Makes little difference if he was doing it for a dare and it doesnt make him any less culpable for his own actions. He brought it on himself. the college will give him a suitable sanction and then everyone will get on with things.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.