Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

(Original post by jamestg)
      Anyway, there's probably something in the 'code of conduct' (o.e.) that they signed that can be used against them to do with neighbourly disorder.
      Even if there isn't anything about this in the 'code of conduct', if they are anything like my college, they probably have a tonne of silly clauses hidden away that give them excuses to expel all but the most diligent students, if they so wished. Rule #1 is always not to make your college look bad. So long as it looks worse on them to expel you than to keep you, then you are good.

ReputationRep:
      When you get your name google'd for a job interview and this is the first thing that turns up... :O

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      Cambridge University Conservative Association student. Singular.

More here
      http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/003671...h-scandal.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Nothing to do with CUCA. This is a nasty smear. Sad!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
      It's not a smear. He was at the time of the action the CUCA's Communications and Publicity officer. In other words, he was an officer, a leading member, already in his first year. He is patently obviously a raving Tory.
      • Section Leader
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      He was Communications and Publicity Officer for CUCA. This is probably not the kind of communication or publicity they would want though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Maria ZT)
      It's not a smear. He was at the time of the action the CUCA's Communications and Publicity officer. In other words, he was an officer, a leading member, already in his first year. He is patently obviously a raving Tory.
      Whatever. He's been removed from the organisation and was a member of all manner of other organisations, too, as CUCA's chairman pointed out publicly. Attempts to spin this story as being basically about CUCA, rather than this one individual, fail for both of these reasons.

This is probably not the kind of communication or publicity they would want though.
      Of course it isn't. This is because it will cause people to draw conclusions about CUCA in general, not least because of how this has been dealt with in the student 'media'. That doesn't make such conclusions sensible or logical.

(Original post by JohnGreek)
        When you get your name google'd for a job interview and this is the first thing that turns up... :O
        Blair is still finding easy employment, and he's got a worse Google.
        • Very Important Poster

Whatever. He's been removed from the organisation and was a member of all manner of other organisations, too, as CUCA's chairman pointed out publicly. Attempts to spin this story as being basically about CUCA, rather than this one individual, fail for both of these reasons.
        TBF ive seen more references that he is some distant in-law of Nicola Sturgeon.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by 999tigger)
        TBF ive seen more references that he is some distant in-law of Nicola Sturgeon.
        Which are very silly too :dontknow:
        • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
        Blair is still finding easy employment, and he's got a worse Google.
        Tbf he has skills and experience that outweigh his previous failings for the people who are willing to hire him.
        • Very Important Poster

Which are very silly too :dontknow:
        Its no really a big story it will blow over. I dont think it does the CA that much harm tbh. but its obvious any tabloid would go for the political angle whichever party he was in. It is quite distasteful and I hope the Uni give him an appropriate sanction.
        • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
        Of course it isn't. This is because it will cause people to draw conclusions about CUCA in general, not least because of how this has been dealt with in the student 'media'. That doesn't make such conclusions sensible or logical.
        The irony of his CUCA position seems entirely lost on you.

ReputationRep:
        The irony of his CUCA position seems entirely lost on you.
        Alright, I missed your point.

My point still holds though.

It is quite distasteful and I hope the Uni give him an appropriate sanction.
        I agree.

ReputationRep:

You really are reaching, and so is the CUCA chairman if he offers this guy's membership of "all manner of other organisations" as if it supports the conclusion that his CUCA involvement somehow conflicts terribly with his attitude towards homeless people. Really? Name the other organisations. Do they include the Labour association? Are there any in which he's the only Tory bourgeois and all the other members are plebs with whom he happens to share an interest? CUCA is a thriving association. There is no lack of people willing to be officers. He was an officer in it and even now he's only been at the university for four months. He obviously shares the culture and values of the top clique in it - even if they probably aren't so moronic as to do what he did in public - otherwise they wouldn't have given him the post. The chairman doesn't say "We were so shocked! We thought he loved the working class, and now we learn he hates their guts!"
        • Very Important Poster

Btw what would be an appropriate sanction? A fine doesnt seem appropriate.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Maria ZT)
        He obviously shares the culture and values of the top clique in it - even if they probably aren't so moronic as to do what he did in public - otherwise they wouldn't have given him the post. The chairman doesn't say "We were so shocked! We thought he loved the working class, and now we learn he hates their guts!"
        He's a member of the union, for instance. The union hasn't been implicated in this because this behaviour had nothing to do with them.

I'm not sure the bold is obvious at all, and that's rather the point. He was certainly involved in CUCA; that doesn't implicate that organisation in his choosing to do this.

The chairman repudiates the behaviour and reinforces this by removing the guy from his society.

ReputationRep:
        Chinless tosser

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
        Btw what would be an appropriate sanction? A fine doesnt seem appropriate.
        He could be rusticated.

Anyway I also don't want this going over the top. He did a very stupid thing and (hopefully) is now mortified by what he did.

And now the DM is getting rather unfortunate quotes from his mum. It's all getting somewhat out of hand...

ReputationRep:
        He's a member of the union, for instance. The union hasn't been implicated in this because this behaviour had nothing to do with them.

I'm not sure the bold is obvious at all, and that's rather the point. He was certainly involved in CUCA; that doesn't implicate that organisation in his choosing to do this.
        That's not what I was arguing. I'm not sure whether by "the union" you mean the CUS or CUSU. I thought CUSU membership was compulsory and in any case it's a student union. The CUS is for people interested in participating in and attending debates. CUCA is different. It's for people who share OPINIONS, who support a political party.

The chairman repudiates the behaviour and reinforces this by removing the guy from his society.
        He had no choice. And he is also surely intelligent enough to know that getting caught showing this kind of attitude in public is damaging to his organisation.

Do you think that Coyne's class hatred hadn't previously reared its head?
        • Very Important Poster

He could be rusticated.

Anyway I also don't want this going over the top. He did a very stupid thing and (hopefully) is now mortified by what he did.

And now the DM is getting rather unfortunate quotes from his mum. It's all getting somewhat out of hand...
        That would seem appropriate imo. Its not a nothing, it shows quite a nasty streak and it brings much negative publicity to the uni. It would be weak if they left it at just a sorry. I didnt actually read the full DM article so you are ahead of me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.