Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mordecai on High)
    kinda feel sorry for him, one drunken mistake that didn't really cause any harm to anyone and now his entire life is ruined.
    IT DID HARM SOMEONE.

Or do you not consider the emotional trauma of the homeless person worth a man's career and future prospects? Because I sure as hell do. I think the emotional trauma of this man and the homeless community he is a part of is worth that and more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The alleged burning of fifties in front of homeless people by the Bulls is probably just a myth (albeit one that supposed members told the tabloids about), but it's an enduring one and I would guess he was probably acting it out in his drunken state.

His parents are saying they are not posh, normal family, etc. I feel a bit sorry for them, as the full glare will be on them at the moment.
    In many ways there's nothing more terrifying than the Tabloids in full hue and cry. They don't give up on their quarry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimikyu)
    IT DID HARM SOMEONE.

Or do you not consider the emotional trauma of the homeless person worth a man's career and future prospects? Because I sure as hell do. I think the emotional trauma of this man and the homeless community he is a part of is worth that and more!
    Jeez, emotional much.

How do you know about the homeless person's "emotional trauma" (caused as a result of someone attempting to set some money alight in their view)? There is no video of the event available online (as far as I know) so how have you come to this conclusion?

Does eating a sandwich in front of a homeless person have the same effect?

ReputationRep:
    "M'lud may i suggest you read this article on the interwebs : http://www.legalcheek.com/2017/02/ca...-homeless-man/ ?
    "The comments at the end are fine examples of what is known in the lower reaches of our profession as bantz"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    His parents are saying they are not posh, normal family, etc. I feel a bit sorry for them, as the full glare will be on them at the moment.
    Do you feel sorry for the victim of this man's crime?

His parents should take some of the blame, because obviously this disgusting wretch wasn't brought up properly. If the only bad influences came at the private school he attended, which in my opinion is very unlikely, then didn't his parents ever wonder how the school was influencing him? I mean they didn't have to send him there, or to keep him there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    "M'lud may i suggest you read this article on the interwebs : http://www.legalcheek.com/2017/02/ca...-homeless-man/ ?
    "The comments at the end are fine of examples of what is known in the lower reaches of our profession as bantz"
    I think the comment: "Good luck to Ronald in securing a Training Contract" sums it up'.

ReputationRep:
    That is such a revealing comment. It illustrates the point that there are many rich scumbags in Britain who may not burn £20 notes in front of homeless people (perhaps they'd consider it a waste of their time), but who share the attitude expressed in Coyne's act that the poor are basically livestock and that any "distress" they feel at anything is not comparable to the distress or sadness that a rich Tory with lots of inherited wealth might feel if something happens that they don't like.

ReputationRep:
    "The comments at the end are fine of examples of what is known in the lower reaches of our profession as bantz"
    I particularly enjoyed...

Burning a 20 pound note in front of a homeless person is akin to someone burning a chin in front of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lopterton)
    That is such a disgusting comment. It illustrates the point that there are many rich scumbags in Britain who may not burn £20 notes in front of homeless people (perhaps they'd consider it a waste of their time), but who share the attitude expressed in Coyne's act that the poor are basically livestock and that any "distress" they feel at anything is not comparable to the distress or sadness that a rich Tory with lots of inherited wealth might feel if something happens that they don't like.
    There is no scope for civil discourse once emotion prevails over logic.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, nice to see Nicola on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I particularly enjoyed...
    i didn't quite understand that one

probably a bit rude :dontknow:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think the comment: "Good luck to Ronald in securing a Training Contract" sums it up'.
    And as another pointed out - he'd be a shoe-in for a TC at MaccyD's.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, emotional much.

How do you know about the homeless person's "emotional trauma" (caused as a result of someone attempting to set some money alight in their view)? There is no video of the event available online (as far as I know) so how have you come to this conclusion?
    I'm sorry for being a human being and being able to sympathise with the victim of the crime. I would personally be emotionally distraught if a person burned a 20 pound note in front of me when I truly needed it. What kind of person thinks its funny to burn money when there are so many people in desperate need of it?

I have been in that situation before. It was a horrifying site. I was walking through the middle of a huge group of people playing Pokemon Go. They were all drinking and eating and generally having a laugh. It was the middle of the night and there were homeless people trying to sleep unsuccessfully in the midst of the groups.

Instead of joining the crowd and ignoring the homeless people, lying and sitting a mere couple of meters away, I bought them sandwiches and water and tried to talk to them. I do think that if you can afford it, you should try and buy homeless people food. Especially if you plan to eat somewhere they are resting.

It's called not being a heartless b*****d.

ReputationRep:
    A better approach, instead of public humiliation and destruction of his name, might have been for his director of studies or tutor to induce him into partaking in some community work - which would at least actually help someone.

But let not this stop everyone from expressing their indignant outrage and hurling insults at the young man in question.

ReputationRep:
    He should have used one of the new £5 notes... they burn merrily due to the fat content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Cambridge University Conservative Association student. Singular.

More here
    http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/003671...h-scandal.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The standout comment from that page is: "...there's no place for that in the student branch of the conservative party. That sort of behaviour qualifies you immediately for the full conservative party!"

ReputationRep:
    He should have used one of the new £5 notes... they burn merrily due to the fat content
    I hear they are good for sorting one's coke out.

ReputationRep:
    A better approach, instead of public humiliation and destruction of his name, might have been for his director of studies or tutor to induce him into partaking in some community work - which would at least actually help someone.
    But in the real world that just looks like window-dressing. A hurried plan centred on damage limitation and for public consumption, put together in a smoke-filled room. The disingenuousness and 'stunt' nature of it would actually increase this child's suffering (not that I have a problem with that). You forget that people aren't entirely stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    To Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth noting that Cambridge has a particularly high proportion of homeless people and it's often assumed they are outsiders attracted to Cambridge's affluence. But it's MUCH more complicated than that. 90% are locals.

https://www.varsity.co.uk/features/11109

(That piece also mentions the pretty significant number of student volunteers trying to help make a difference.)

Edit to add: Cambridge has the 7th highest level of rough sleepers per 1,000 of the 326 Local Authorities in England (and that includes inner London). The latest rate is 0.80/1,000 - that's five times higher than the average outside London.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...nd-autumn-2016

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.