Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Yeah I saw that.

A political decision that shames Wikipedia.

They source Russia Today and say the DM is unreliable? Laughable.
    I'd probs take RT over DM tbf.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw that.

A political decision that shames Wikipedia.

They source Russia Today and say the DM is unreliable? Laughable.
    "State-associated news organisations, especially state media in countries with low press freedom, such as the Chinese press agency Xinhua, the North Korean Korean Central News Agency, SPH news such as The Straits Times and Press TV in Iran. They may be propaganda organisations. RT, formerly known as Russia Today, and other Russian government-funded sources like Sputnik News may also be questioned."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...liable_sources

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mordecai on High)
    He is an 18 year old student who made a stupid mistake deemed contrary to social standards whilst drunk,
    How is his being drunk relevant? Dismissing the behaviour as 'contrary to social standards' is disingenuous, as well you know. Pissing up against a wall is 'contrary to social standards'. Humiliating and taunting a homeless man in the manner he did whilst filming it is an order of magnitude greater. Yes, it belongs to the 'set' of 'contrary to social standards'. But it also belongs to the set of 'unacceptable to the majority of the population'. This is why it is worthy of greater censure.

(Original post by Mordecai on High)
    My contention is simply that the public recriminations and abuse against him will have far greater consequences than his act merited.
    Merited according to whom? You? Public opinion in this case will decided what consequences are merited. And it's not looking too rosy for him. Actions have consequences - as a (previously) aspiring lawyer, there is really no reason for him not to have known that. The consequences of his action were entirely foreseeable. Volenti, non fit injuria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    "State-associated news organisations, especially state media in countries with low press freedom, such as the Chinese press agency Xinhua, the North Korean Korean Central News Agency, SPH news such as The Straits Times and Press TV in Iran. They may be propaganda organisations. RT, formerly known as Russia Today, and other Russian government-funded sources like Sputnik News may also be questioned."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...liable_sources
    What is your point? RT is "to be questioned", but the DM not used.

Like I said, a laughable political act.

Consensus has determined that the Daily Mail (including its online version, dailymail.co.uk) is generally unreliable, and its use as a reference is to be generally prohibited, especially when other more reliable sources exist. As a result, the Daily Mail should not be used for determining notability, nor should it be used as a source in articles. An edit filter should be put in place going forward to warn editors attempting to use the Daily Mail as a reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    The consequences of his action were entirely foreseeable. Volenti, non fit injuria.
    this is clearly a case of consuetudo pro lege servatur
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry - google image search for his name brings up this guy mainly

I'm sure his chinless reputation will survive unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    this is clearly a case of consuetudo pro lege servatur
    Yes, quite.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    What is your point? RT is "to be questioned", but the DM not used.
    The point is you neglected to mention that bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    Chinless tosser

He has got one of those faces that you just want to punch for no valid reason other than looks like a stuck up prick

ReputationRep:
    Yes, quite.
    Advocati non ultra quam litium poscit utilitas in licentiam conviciandit et malidicendi temeritati prorrumpant

ReputationRep:
    Advocati non ultra quam litium poscit utilitas in licentiam conviciandit et malidicendi temeritati prorrumpant

Now you're just showing off (and stop making me try to parse things...: its like being back in double latin on a Friday afternoon)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    The point is you neglected to mention that bit.
    Because it wasn't germane to my point, which still stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lopterton)
    As far as I am aware, no British "quality" newspaper has yet covered this story. Why not? It has only been the tabloids and the local Cambridge press.
    Because all Media is controlled by people like this kids dad. Money makes the world go round. Like Michael Gove best friends with Rupert Murdoch if anyone dares report something bad on his friend Gove they suddenly disappear or get attacked, just how it works.

To put into general public non rich terms, if someone ****ged off your mate and you could do something about to shut them up without ever getting caught or blamed by clicking your fingers, you would do it wouldn't you? Human nature

ReputationRep:
    Now you're just showing off (and stop making me try to parse things...: its like being back in double latin on a Friday afternoon)

Illa autem sapientia rerum est divinarum et humanarum scientia in qua continetur deorum et hominum communitas et societas inter ipsos

:hat2:

ReputationRep:
    It's only £20 I don't see much harm in this it's quite a good trick to help the homeless man to want money instead of seeing someone who can just burn money. Plus it's funny!

ReputationRep:
    Illa autem sapientia rerum est divinarum et humanarum scientia in qua continetur deorum et hominum communitas et societas inter ipsos

:cry:..umm ablative of that is...oh no, it's dative...and is that a deponent verb or not::cry:

ReputationRep:
    More than 1600 petition signatures so far, calling on Cambridge University to kick him out.

I hope both Pembroke College and the University are cooperating with the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    It's only £20 I don't see much harm in this it's quite a good trick to help the homeless man to want money instead of seeing someone who can just burn money. Plus it's funny!
    So you think his action was skilful, amusing AND helpful.

What a triple! Can we nominate him for a medal?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The homeless man is more likely a Trumpette than the Cambridge student who burnt money in front of him...
    Actually:

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  3D04060300000578-4208432-image-m-2_1486668892107.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  65.3 KB

ReputationRep:

Ursi eunt domus

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.