urgh
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Ursi eunt domus
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anfanny)
    It's only £20 I don't see much harm in this it's quite a good trick to help the homeless man to want money instead of seeing someone who can just burn money. Plus it's funny!
    Are you referring to the OP?

You think it is funny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy T)
    So you think his action was skilful, amusing AND helpful.

What a triple! Can we nominate him for a medal?
    Yes. You read a news article.. Ps homeless people are the pickiest ai'be ever met they'll only east good food and turn down any snacks etc. This guy should get some reward yes but if he kept doing it then that would be mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mordecai on High)
    I stand by that, the limited information available does not imply that any crime was committed - included the one you quoted.

I guess we will have to wait and see if he is prosecuted for it to see for sure.
    We will have to wait for the verdict. That is if he is prosecuted.

All information is limited. In this case it comprises widely distributed video footage of the action being done. Of course in court he could argue that his intent was to help the homeless man, and not at all to cause his victim distress or alarm, or to harass him. That would be a defence.

I am all in favour of the case being properly tried and, in the event that he doesn't plead guilty, his offering whatever defence he chooses. If he is found guilty or if he pleads guilty, he will also get a chance to offer whatever facts he considers are relevant in mitigation, to support the case for him being sentenced to less than the maximum six months in prison.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You read a news article.. Ps homeless people are the pickiest ai'be ever met they'll only east good food and turn down any snacks etc. This guy should get some reward yes but if he kept doing it then that would be mean.
    So actions that are not only skilful and amusing but also helpful towards the poor become "mean" when repeated? Why would the cumulative effect of thousands of young Tories a few months out of private school going out and burning £20 notes in front of homeless people not be, from your point of view, very helpful indeed?

I am sure there are millions of people in this country and the world who would love to give this specimen a "reward". Not of any kind you're thinking of, though.

ReputationRep:
    The victim of this crime, Ryan Davies, who has been living on the streets for three months, has now described what happened.

Asked whether he could spare some change, the perpetrator pulled out a £20 note, moved as if to pass it to him, pulled it back, burnt it, and sneered to his victim "How's that for change? I've changed it to flames."

Such sarcasm is further evidence of the intent that needs to be present for an action to constitute a crime under s4a of the Public Order Act 1986.

Donations are now pouring in to Jimmy's Night Shelter in Cambridge.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    This is appalling. No one is required to give money to the homeless and I completely understand why he wouldn't, but to taunt him with his wealth and actually go as far as to burn cash in front of a man who has nothing is disgusting. When I was homeless, I actually think I might've spontaneously combusted at that point. It's just so disrespectful to do. It really astounds me how some people can be so up their own cash lined arses as to think that this is a funny thing to do.

'Here, I have this vital thing that you don't. Watch me burn it like it's nothing.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    This is appalling. No one is required to give money to the homeless and I completely understand why he wouldn't, but to taunt him with his wealth and actually go as far as to burn cash in front of a man who has nothing is disgusting. When I was homeless, I actually think I might've spontaneously combusted at that point. It's just so disrespectful to do. It really astounds me how some people can be so up their own cash lined arses as to think that this is a funny thing to do.

'Here, I have this vital thing that you don't. Watch me burn it like it's nothing.'
    These types only enjoy having their wealth and their privileged position in society if they know that others are deprived.

Where are his parents, who were supposed to have the responsibility of raising him? Where are the masters at the private school he attended for years, to whom pater and mater chose to delegate some of that responsibility? Why aren't they apologising? Something has gone seriously wrong with this man.

ReputationRep:
    I note that the top-rt corner headline has changed from 'Cambridge student burns cash in front of homeless' to 'Student burns cash in front of homeless'. Has TSR been nobbled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I note that the top-rt corner headline has changed from 'Cambridge student burns cash in front of homeless' to 'Student burns cash in front of homeless'. Has TSR been nobbled?
    "student partakes in Oxford ritual"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    "student partakes in Oxford ritual"
    :lol:

'Pressure from Oxford lifestyle high profile in the media causes honest Tory Cambridge student to lose all reason and behave like Bull in public place". (From the Tab, Cambridge edition.)
    • Very Important Poster

How much contact have you had with homeless people?
    Why do you think it is funny?
    Why do you think he deserves a reward?
    • Very Important Poster

Nope for some reason the person who selects the threads always changes the headline to something much more irritating.

ReputationRep:

'Pressure from Oxford lifestyle high profile in the media causes honest Tory Cambridge student to lose all reason and behave like Bull in public place". (From the Tab, Cambridge edition.)
    Not relevant but my God I hate the Tab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Nope for some reason the person who selects the threads always changes the headline to something much more irritating.
    rich tea biscuit cheats on homeless in Amsterdam.

ReputationRep:
    I was so pleased to read this. They do fantastic work, and I'm so glad that something good is coming out of this.

ReputationRep:

teen revives ancient Oxford tradition and the money rolls in for charity.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA what the **** is wrong with you britain is ****ed. I live in Poland and hang out with not the smartest bunch of people who openly brag about throwing fireworks into abandoned homes where squatters sleep or pretending to ask for a change and then pepper spray homeless at bus stops. most people after finding out just laugh it off but in the communist uk i guess that would make me a serial murderer. get a ****ing life we're all ****ing teenagers and do stupid **** after drinking/drugs that does not mean we have some higher hateful agenda behind our actions. funny thing its not the actual estate people who get enraged at this kind of behavior, but socially retarded middle class kids who have never punched anyone in the face. that said despite my 'socially despicable' behavior I always buy a beer to a local homeless man near my school before classes. that does not however make like being rowdy any less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Nothing to do with CUCA. This is a nasty smear. Sad!
    Pure coincidence that a similar event happens for membership into the Bullingdon Club.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.