Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player777)
    HAHA what the **** is wrong with you britain is ****ed. I live in Poland and hang out with not the smartest bunch of people who openly brag about throwing fireworks into abandoned homes where squatters sleep or pretending to ask for a change and then pepper spray homeless at bus stops. most people after finding out just laugh it off but in the communist uk i guess that would make me a serial murderer. get a ****ing life we're all ****ing teenagers and do stupid **** after drinking/drugs that does not mean we have some higher hateful agenda behind our actions. funny thing its not the actual estate people who get enraged at this kind of behavior, but socially retarded middle class kids who have never punched anyone in the face. that said despite my 'socially despicable' behavior I always buy a beer to a local homeless man near my school before classes. that does not however make like being rowdy any less.
    Lovely.

We, however, do not live in Poland. And we don't, thank god, do this sort of thing as a rule. I think we like to flatter ourselves into thinking that we've moved on a bit from throwing fireworks at homeless people or pepper spraying them.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    • Very Important Poster

Imo
    Shows him to be a complete arrogant ****
    He deserves to be sanctioned by the college for bringing its name into disrepute. 250 hours on the homeless shelter/ charity. Apparently he went on the soup run a few days after (not to spot his next targets) to make himself feel better.
    It wasnt a crime.
    No violence or any other stupid retaliation..
    He hasnt won himself any brownie points and it wont do his social life much good. Made a fool of himself.
    Tomorrows chip paper. Employers wont shun him (not many) and they are likely to have forgotten by the time he gets round to it. he will still have a good legal career as long as he shows a bit of contrition and lesson learned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Lovely.

We, however, do not live in Poland. And we don't, thank god, do this sort of thing as a rule. I think we like to flatter ourselves into thinking that we've moved on a bit from throwing fireworks at homeless people or pepper spraying them.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    haha okay shots fired. actually I guess ur right I got convinced he deserves a death sentence.

ReputationRep:
    I think the comment: "Good luck to Ronald in securing a Training Contract" sums it up'.
    "Burning a 20 pound note in front of a homeless person is akin to someone burning a chin in front of him."

Savage AF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Pure coincidence that a similar event happens for membership into the Bullingdon Club.
    Given I didn't defend, and as far as I can recall have never defended, the Bullingdon Club, I'm not sure I see the relevance of this.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA what the **** is wrong with you britain is ****ed. I live in Poland and hang out with not the smartest bunch of people who openly brag about throwing fireworks into abandoned homes where squatters sleep or pretending to ask for a change and then pepper spray homeless at bus stops. most people after finding out just laugh it off but in the communist uk i guess that would make me a serial murderer. get a ****ing life we're all ****ing teenagers and do stupid **** after drinking/drugs that does not mean we have some higher hateful agenda behind our actions. funny thing its not the actual estate people who get enraged at this kind of behavior, but socially retarded middle class kids who have never punched anyone in the face. that said despite my 'socially despicable' behavior I always buy a beer to a local homeless man near my school before classes. that does not however make like being rowdy any less.
    hmmmm your English is excellent for a przestępca

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong I'd love to punch this knobhead right on that chin of his but is it really grounds for kicking him out of uni?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lopterton)
    Where are his parents, who were supposed to have the responsibility of raising him?
    His mother has indeed commented and allegedly calls the act “thoughtless and cruel”.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    It's only £20 I don't see much harm in this it's quite a good trick to help the homeless man to want money instead of seeing someone who can just burn money. Plus it's funny!
    Indeed, we should be thanking Ronald for reminding homeless people what money looks like, even if only briefly.
    • Very Important Poster

I think the comment: "Good luck to Ronald in securing a Training Contract" sums it up'.
    If his studies go ok then he wont have any problem getting a TC as long as he shows a bit of contrition to show he has learnt from it. Most people will have forgotten by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Don't get me wrong I'd love to punch this knobhead right on that chin of his but is it really grounds for kicking him out of uni?
    Of course it is. He's brought his college and university entirely into disrepute. You make a commitment when you matriculate into the university, and he has broken it. Not only that, but what he has done, combined with the institution he is attending means that there has to be a greater level of scrutiny and, frankly, a decisive response.

I have no doubt he'll be rusticated at a minimum, though whether he will be actually ejected is a different matter. Any sort of Cambridge career is, however, over for him.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    It's reached the BBC
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38931710

They've added this "useful" information:
    "The student's formal evening dress, seen in the video, is no longer commonly worn, according to Debrett's"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    "The student's formal evening dress, seen in the video, is no longer commonly worn, according to Debrett's"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    hmmmm your English is excellent for a przestępca
    you're spouting so much hatred for an 18 year old guy who literally burned a piece of paper in front of someone but at the same time live life so sheltered that you cant fathom knowing people doing illegal stuff. this kinds of **** goes down in every estate/ghetto all over the world, also uk. i bet theres like 20 people at most on this forum that know what its like to live in a poverty stricken neighborhood with heroin needles, 5 drug dealers in a class of 25 people, friends getting stabbed and all that. that makes your self-righteousness even more ridiculous. I could bet a 1000 that this specific homeless man has done more criminal offenses in his lifetime than entire pembroke college combined. you dont know those people. ive had a chance to meet about 30 of them and vast majority are former criminals who got too old to continue their lifestyle and their addictions got ahold of them. they deserve no sympathy. they have craved for that fate themselves thats at least how it is round here where i live and i very much doubt so its any different in cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    you're spouting so much hatred for an 18 year old guy who literally burned a piece of paper in front of someone but at the same time live life so sheltered that you cant fathom knowing people doing illegal stuff. this kinds of **** goes down in every estate/ghetto all over the world, also uk. i bet theres like 20 people at most on this forum that know whats its like to live in a poverty stricken neighborhood with heroin needles, 5 drug dealers in a class of 25 people, friends getting stabbed and all that. that makes your self-righteousness even more ridiculous. I could bet a 1000 that this specific homeless man has done more criminal offenses in his lifetime than entire pembroke college combined. you dont know those people. ive had a chance to meet about 30 of them and vast majority are former criminals who got too old to continue their lifestyle and their addictions got ahold of them. they deserve no sympathy. they have craved for that fate themselves thats at least how it is round here where i live and i very much doubt so its any different in cambridge.
    Koleś nie dusić na kiełbasy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Koleś nie dusić na kiełbasy
    haha that translation is so ridiculous i spat my coffee out

ReputationRep:
    haha that translation is so ridiculous i spat my coffee out
    i hope you didn't spit it on a bezdomny

(Original post by jneill)
      He could be rusticated.

Anyway I also don't want this going over the top. He did a very stupid thing and (hopefully) is now mortified by what he did.

And now the DM is getting rather unfortunate quotes from his mum. It's all getting somewhat out of hand...
      Have you watched the most recent series of Black Mirror...?

Reactions are kinda reminisent of one of the episodes.
      • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      Have you watched the most recent series of Black Mirror...?

Reactions are kinda reminisent of one of the episodes.
      No that's another "you must have!" thing I've not done. That and not having Netflix.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 999tigger)
      Shows him to be a complete arrogant **** He deserves to be sanctioned by the college for bringing its name into disrepute. 250 hours on the homeless shelter/ charity. Apparently he went on the soup run a few days after (not to spot his next targets) to make himself feel better. It wasnt a crime.
      Behaving abusively towards someone with intent to cause distress is a crime, under s4a of the Public Order Act 1986.

you're spouting so much hatred for an 18 year old guy who literally burned a piece of paper in front of someone but at the same time live life so sheltered that you cant fathom knowing people doing illegal stuff. this kinds of **** goes down in every estate/ghetto all over the world, also uk. i bet theres like 20 people at most on this forum that know what its like to live in a poverty stricken neighborhood with heroin needles, 5 drug dealers in a class of 25 people, friends getting stabbed and all that. that makes your self-righteousness even more ridiculous. I could bet a 1000 that this specific homeless man has done more criminal offenses in his lifetime than entire pembroke college combined. you dont know those people. ive had a chance to meet about 30 of them and vast majority are former criminals who got too old to continue their lifestyle and their addictions got ahold of them. they deserve no sympathy. they have craved for that fate themselves thats at least how it is round here where i live and i very much doubt so its any different in cambridge.
      Am I right to understand that your main propositions are as follows?

1) Physically attacking homeless people for fun is OK.
      2) Most homeless people are former criminals and deserve no sympathy.
      3) Saying otherwise is "self-righteous".

Throwing fireworks into buildings without the owner's permission is a crime, by the way. And so is pepper-spraying people in unprovoked attacks at bus stops. If what you're saying is accurate then you hang out with criminals, and at the same time you're saying that people whom you call "former criminals" don't deserve any sympathy and it's OK to attack them for fun.

So what if Ronald Coyne is 18? He's legally responsible for his actions. And so what if there aren't many people on this forum who know what it's like to live on an estate strewn with discarded heroin needles? That may well not be true, but even if it was, how would it support your propositions?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.