Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Was wondering why many applications asked if you had personal relations / contacts at the firm. It sounds as though if you knew someone you'd get pass the screening stage at least and automatically progress to the next stage?

Other than that, I really cannot think of why they would be interested if you have ties with the firm

Thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's usually to manage expectations internally more than anything. People can get quite narky if people they think are amazing gets rejected, and it's 100 times worse if there is a client connection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It's usually to manage expectations internally more than anything. People can get quite narky if people they think are amazing gets rejected, and it's 100 times worse if there is a client connection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I always wondered the reason for this too. In general, would you say if someone has a connection to the firm (either through being close/ related to someone senior or a client's relative) that they are more likely to be interviewed/ offered a job?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    I always wondered the reason for this too. In general, would you say if someone has a connection to the firm (either through being close/ related to someone senior or a client's relative) that they are more likely to be interviewed/ offered a job?
    Sometimes some partners will try and push for them to be interviewed, either because they think they should be able to make that kind of decision, or because they want to keep the peace with family/friends. Main issue tends to be when it is clients though, although firms now have to be very careful with that due to anti bribery stuff. However from experience the vast majority of partners know it's not a process to mess with, and once you let it slide for them, you have to let it slide for other people and so most people accept the recruitment process for what it is.

Where the question on an application form helps though is managing the conversation with the partner and them then managing the conversation with the family member/friend/client. They hate it when the news comes out of the blue, they much prefer knowing it is coming and then being able to react appropriately to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Agree with what's been said above. Grad recruitment at my firm once told me that part of the reason they ask is that if the student in question gets through to an Assessment Centre and they have a contact at the firm, they will usually ask that contact if they would like to take the student on a tour of the office at the end of the Assessment Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    Agree with what's been said above. Grad recruitment at my firm once told me that part of the reason they ask is that if the student in question gets through to an Assessment Centre and they have a contact at the firm, they will usually ask that contact if they would like to take the student on a tour of the office at the end of the Assessment Day.
    That sounds cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilbelam)
    Hi all,

Was wondering why many applications asked if you had personal relations / contacts at the firm. It sounds as though if you knew someone you'd get pass the screening stage at least and automatically progress to the next stage?

Other than that, I really cannot think of why they would be interested if you have ties with the firm

Thanks.
    Sorry to bump this week-old thread, but I've heard (from Shearman) that this is so that they can exclude that person from your assessment process, particularly if they happen to be a partner or a member of the grad rec team. Most firms aren't stupid enough to let you through the bulk of the assessment process simply because you happen to know someone inside them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.