Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims currently at uni, what is your honest opinion of the culture? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    I would like to go to Imperial College London. I've not put too much thought into which universities specifically.

I just want to go to a good university which is "close" to where I live so I can go home on the weekends easily.
    Would you be able to go to all of the Oxbridge Colleges, out of interest?

I know that Jesus is a prophet in Islam, so both of those colleges would be OK, presumably, as would Christ Church and Christ's and the Corpus Christi's.

But what about Trinity? There is one of each in Oxford and Cambridge as well as in Dublin.

That is explicit in asserting the divinity of Christ, which runs completely counter to the Islamic Proclamation of Faith. "There is no God but God."

So if you can't put your food in a fridge for fear of bacon, I am guessing that going to any college that unashamedly proclaims that Christ is divine would be "haram"?

Is that correct?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigAsianBoi)
    I know that it is. Kafir means nonbeliever in Arabic. Kuffar is the plural of it. If you have a rpbokem with being called a nonbeliever then perhaps start believing or stop getting offended.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...=#post69964166

Now please stop using it.

ReputationRep:
    Those sources are incorrect. That word is not deragatory or insulting - it simply means a non believer of Islam...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Would you be able to go to all of the Oxbridge Colleges, out of interest?

I know that Jesus is a prophet in Islam, so both of those colleges would be OK, presumably, as would Christ Church and Christ's and the Corpus Christi's.

But what about Trinity? There is one of each in Oxford and Cambridge as well as in Dublin.

That is explicit in asserting the divinity of Christ, which runs completely counter to the Islamic Proclamation of Faith. "There is no God but God."

So if you can't put your food in a fridge for fear of bacon, I am guessing that going to any college that unashamedly proclaims that Christ is divine would be "haram"?

Is that correct?
    Good points.
    Just regarding Christ's College, Cambridge: it was founded as "God's House". I don't know if that helps or hinders things...

Oh and they have a nice line in BLTs in the Buttery.

ReputationRep:
    It means disbeliever. If a muslim calls this to another muslim it is offensive of course as the muslim is proud of being part of islam, however to a non muslim then it is not offensive. It's literally what they are, it is not derogatory. Many non muslims say so many bad things that are not true and solely for the intention to offend the other person and they are allowed, how can you say that using the arabic word for disbeliever is wrong? You can't suggest a non muslim should be offended by saying they're a 'non muslim' because that makes no sense.

Urban dictionary isn't a very trustworthy source to go off by the way.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Those sources are incorrect. That word is not deragatory or insulting - it simply means a non believer of Islam...
    The Oxford Dictionary is incorrect? You can tell them that.

In the meantime, do not use the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    The Oxford Dictionary is incorrect? You can tell them that.

In the meantime, do not use the word.
    It's not an offensive term in Arabic. It's mentioned many times in the Quran. A non-Muslim is considered a * in Islam, i.e. a nonbeliever
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProphetsPath)
    It means disbeliever. If a muslim calls this to another muslim it is offensive of course as the muslim is proud of being part of islam, however to a non muslim then it is not offensive. It's literally what they are, it is not derogatory. Many non muslims say so many bad things that are not true and solely for the intention to offend the other person and they are allowed, how can you say that using the arabic word for disbeliever is wrong? You can't suggest a non muslim should be offended by saying they're a 'non muslim' because that makes no sense.

Urban dictionary isn't a very trustworthy source to go off by the way.
    The 2nd source was the OD.

(Original post by Ladbants)
    It's not an offensive term in Arabic. It's mentioned many times in the Quran. A non-Muslim is considered a kafir in Islam, i.e. a nonbeliever
    "offensive An insulting term used by some Muslims for non-Muslims."
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/kaffir

Do not use the word on TSR. This is quite simple.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this thread is getting way out of control lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabstercat)
    your life is so tragic, can't believe you've been brainwashed into not having fun! come on you are young, you only live once, and you're not going to enjoy your youth at all!

https://youtu.be/ftrPvM7V6YI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I can't believe this thread is getting way out of control lol.
    Lol.

Islam or Brexit = Trainwreck.

(although admittedly I'm guilty of it myself in the second case )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Lol.

Islam or Brexit = Trainwreck.
    Lol it's like a mine field. May god bless you all.

ReputationRep:
    I know that it is. Kafir means nonbeliever in Arabic. Kuffar is the plural of it. If you have a rpbokem with being called a nonbeliever then perhaps start believing or stop getting offended
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    (Original post by TheProphetsPath)
    It means disbeliever. If a muslim calls this to another muslim it is offensive of course as the muslim is proud of being part of islam, however to a non muslim then it is not offensive. It's literally what they are, it is not derogatory.
    I don't know if any of you have actually read the Quran but this its take on what a Kafir is...

The Qur'an uses the word kafir to signify various negative qualities of a person, all of which assist in the precise defining of kufr. Kafir, kuf and words with the K-F-R root designate disbelievers and infidels, and an important Qur'anic concept for distinguishing believers and non-believers of Islam.[5] Kafir, and its plural kafirun, is directly used 134 times in Qur'an, its verbal noun "kufr" is used 37 times, and the verbal cognates of kafir are used about 250 times.[6]

In the structure of Islamic thought, kufr represents all things unacceptable and offensive to God (Allāh).[7] In its most fundamental sense in the Qur'an, kufr means "ingratitude," however the Qur'an contains numerous verses in which more detailed definitions are provided; the kafir is referred to as:[8]

Odious: "(Such) as dispute about the signs of God, without any authority that hath reached them. Grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of God and of the Believers." [40: 35]

Mocked: "But on this Day the Believers will laugh at the Unbelievers." [83: 34]

Punished: "But ye have indeed rejected (Him), and soon will come the inevitable (punishment)!" [25: 77]

Terrorized: "[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."" [8: 12]

Destroyed: "Of the wrong-doers the last was remnant was cut off. Praise be to God, the Cherisher of the Worlds." [6: 45]

Slain: "You will find others who wish to obtain security from you and [to] obtain security from their people. Every time they are returned to [the influence of] disbelief, they fall back into it. So if they do not withdraw from you or offer you peace or restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you overtake them. And those - We have made for you against them a clear authorization." [4: 91]

Crucified: "Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment." [5: 33]

Evil: "Say thou: 'Yea, and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil)." [37: 18]
    Cursed: "Accursed wherever they are found, [being] seized and massacred completely." [33: 61][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafir#In_the_Qur.27an

... yeah, not at all derogatory!

Good points.
      Just regarding Christ's College, Cambridge: it was founded as "God's House". I don't know if that helps or hinders things...
      Also worth noting that the motto of Imperial, translated into English, is 'knowledge is the adornment and protection of the Empire.' I guess that's that institution ruled out.

Ok, let's get something clear. Kuffar literally just means "nonbeliever" in Arabic and is used frequently in the Quran.
      This dodge has been tried before - nobody is buying it, so you may as well stop flogging it. There's no innocent reason for using an Arabic word to describe a different class of people when speaking in English (assuming an English equivalent exists, which it does in this case).

It's not something that you should consider offensive. If you do, that's your problem, not anyone else's.
      Don't be rude to anyone. We don't need to accommodate your Islamiphobic nonsense in this country.
      I wonder what the odds are that you'll eventually realise these two positions are mutually exclusive. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      OK I have sufficient answers from both sides.

In conclusion it seems I might be overthinking the whole issue and in reality it's probably not going to be like I imagine it is. I have also received a fair few PM's on the matter too so thank you for your for all your advice. I think we should just leave it at that

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amonynimous)
      I don't know if any of you have actually read the Quran but this its take on what a Kafir is...

The Qur'an uses the word kafir to signify various negative qualities of a person, all of which assist in the precise defining of kufr. Kafir, kuf and words with the K-F-R root designate disbelievers and infidels, and an important Qur'anic concept for distinguishing believers and non-believers of Islam.[5] Kafir, and its plural kafirun, is directly used 134 times in Qur'an, its verbal noun "kufr" is used 37 times, and the verbal cognates of kafir are used about 250 times.[6]

In the structure of Islamic thought, kufr represents all things unacceptable and offensive to God (Allāh).[7] In its most fundamental sense in the Qur'an, kufr means "ingratitude," however the Qur'an contains numerous verses in which more detailed definitions are provided; the kafir is referred to as:[8]

Odious: "(Such) as dispute about the signs of God, without any authority that hath reached them. Grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of God and of the Believers." [40: 35]

Mocked: "But on this Day the Believers will laugh at the Unbelievers." [83: 34]

Punished: "But ye have indeed rejected (Him), and soon will come the inevitable (punishment)!" [25: 77]

Terrorized: "[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."" [8: 12]

Destroyed: "Of the wrong-doers the last was remnant was cut off. Praise be to God, the Cherisher of the Worlds." [6: 45]

Slain: "You will find others who wish to obtain security from you and [to] obtain security from their people. Every time they are returned to [the influence of] disbelief, they fall back into it. So if they do not withdraw from you or offer you peace or restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you overtake them. And those - We have made for you against them a clear authorization." [4: 91]

Crucified: "Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment." [5: 33]

Evil: "Say thou: 'Yea, and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil)." [37: 18]
      Cursed: "Accursed wherever they are found, [being] seized and massacred completely." [33: 61][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafir#In_the_Qur.27an

... yeah, not at all derogatory!
      Indeed. Now imagine if there was a word associated with Muslims that had half as many negative attributes stuck to it... People here would be singing a different tune.
      • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      Also worth noting that the motto of Imperial, translated into English, is 'knowledge is the adornment and protection of the Empire.' I guess that's that institution ruled out.
      Surely that's a reference to the other Empire. And I don't mean the one that strikes back.
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador

Surely that's a reference to the other Empire. And I don't mean the one that strikes back.
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      I knew there was a good reason why I didn't apply to Imperial

ReputationRep:
      :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by serah.exe)
      Exactly lmao
      I used to travel an hour+ for sixth form and it's not tiring (maybe for the first week lol but then you get used to it)
      I still do and I hate it. But then again I'm pretty lazy and hate the cold.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.