Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims currently at uni, what is your honest opinion of the culture? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a biochemist or a neuroscientist. It's impossible without a good degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Yes but if you had to pick between say London Met and Oxford (the latter to which you'd have to move out to attend), you'd pick Oxford because it's more prestigious.

Bristol is an amazing uni and it does well in employability in general. And there's a Subway right opposite the Wills M building which is always nice
    Well firstly, there are much better universities in London than London met so one could use say UCL or imperial. Secondly, if going to oxfords involved having to live in halls where people would drink alcohol, listen to loud music and where it smells of pork, then I'd either try and arrange private accommodation with other Muslims or commute to a nearby university instead. For a Muslim, deen comes before dunya as the other user said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    I want to be a biochemist or a neuroscientist. It's impossible without a good degree.
    If you're in London, you've got plenty of units that you can commute to. Imperial is the best one, but UCL is also quite good and so is KCL. If you get decent grades, you can get an offer from at least one of them. Even if you don't, perhaps consider Bristol because there are alcohol-free accomodation here (which is mostly made up of fellow Muslims)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigAsianBoi)
    Well firstly, there are much better universities in London than London met so one could use say UCL or imperial. Secondly, if going to oxfords involved having to live in halls where people would drink alcohol, listen to loud music and where it smells of pork, then I'd either try and arrange private accommodation with other Muslims or commute to a nearby university instead. For a Muslim, deen comes before dunya as the other user said.
    That depends completely on how strict you are. Some Muslims would find it completely irrational and impractical whereas others would not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    Your options

1. Get a studio - so you dont get bothered by the 'non believers' haram beliefs/way of life and they dont get inconvenienced by your views.

2. Rent a house with muslim females. Im sure the ISOC will bend over backwards to help a sister in distress.

3. Commute for first year and in 2nd year do option 2.

MrsSheldonCooper valid ideas?
    I mentioned looking at alcohol free accommo and quiet accommo zones. One of the unis I applied for had this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Muslim (I'm a Christian) but I thought I'd chip in.

If you don't want to get involved in the drinking or other haram things at uni that is absolutely fine. I hardly ever go out drinking if I'm honest and my flatmates are fine with that. My flat only has like a one party a month if that so partying shouldn't be a problem. When picking the halls for my uni; I filled in a survey about my personality and how often I'd go out etc. and I'm pretty sure it gave me the option of same-sex and alcohol free which they'd use to pick flatmates. I'm not sure if every uni does this though; but I'm sure many probably do. You could get in contact with the unis and see if they do this.

I'm currently in halls in a flat of 5, 3 boys (including me) and 2 girls; we all get along well so I'm sure I'd be happy with a Muslim in my flat as much as these people - if not better as you'd be unlikely to stumble in drunk at 3:30 AM and decide you want toast and make a lot of noise while doing so... Regarding the fridge issue, in my flat we've all got 4 shelves so 3 people have their own one and me and someone else share but I get my own draw - which is good for my vegetables. I would suggest using sandwich bags and Tupperware etc. maybe even a freezer bag to keep your food in if you can't use a mini-fridge (some unis are very against these). In fact I'm pretty sure someone in my flat has one so Unite Students Halls (a halls provider) should be okay.

There is probably an Islamic society at the universities you'll be applying for and there may even be a tea-total society as well. You could get into contact with the Islamic one and see if they are doing any house sharing (which is cheaper than halls in my experience). I'm sure there are quite a few other people in the same situation as you though so the university may be able to do something to help.

I hope this helps. Don't be put off by not being able to commute to some unis go for the ones that have the best course for you and always have a look around the unis on open/interview days as you may not like the university campus. You have a lot of options open to you. Universities are pretty flexible and cater to thousands of students - there will be people like you who you will make friends with. Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    I'm sure a practising Muslim wouldn't compromise their religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you for real? If she got an offer from Oxford and lives in east London would u prefer her to go to UEL? Religion is not going to help her get a decent job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    They allow TV's, computers, consoles etc I'm sure a mini fridge would be fine. Of course I'll check before hand though
    The halls my two older children have been in did not allow mini fridges in the room. Different universities in two different parts of the country.

As to the question of minding if there was a Muslim in the flat, middle son not only didn't mind but is now best friends with someone in the next flat in his first year halls who is Muslim. They may be from differing backgrounds but their personalities match so well that they now house share with 4 other lads and plan to do the same again in September.

Re mad sex and parties, the highlight of eldest son's week (final year) is a film night with cups of tea and in bed by 11. They are all too shattered combining part time jobs with dissertations to manage anything wilder than that. Prior to this year, he was a student rep in halls, so had to uphold not only the reputation of the university (so no getting absolutely plastered or doing anything that could bring the uni any disrepute) but also remain clear headed to deal with any emergency a lower year student may have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    I think this attitude is driven less by a lack of belief, and more by what one might call Kuffarphobia. I would define this as:

A fear, horror, strong dislike, or aversion; esp. an extreme or irrational fear or dread aroused by the kuffar or anything associated with the kuffar.
    Sounds like salafists and wahabis and other extreme sects. Majority of muslims I know enjoy integrating.many Muslims working as doctors,lawyers,engineers,nurses ,livingas our neighbours etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Sounds like salafists and wahabis and other extreme sects. Majority of muslims I know enjoy integrating.many Muslims working as doctors,lawyers,engineers,nurses ,livingas our neighbours etc
    Thankfully most Moslems are not as extreme, as you say, but the OP shows all the signs that she may be. The contents of her OP, what she stated as the views of her family, her aversion to becoming contaminated by mixing with westerners, her morbid fear of sharing the fridge, her desire to avoid music, all point to an unassimilated group that has probably been attending a Deobandi or Salafist mosque.

You are aware that about half of all UK mosques are funded by Salafists or Deobandis and have suitably extreme imams, aren't you? So what you and I think of as extreme teaching is seen among a huge proportion of the Moslem community as normal.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How is travelling an hour long/tiring?
    lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    How is travelling an hour long/tiring?
    lmao
    An hour on the underground every single day there and back... No thanks. not to mention some days I will have hours of downtime between lectures so I will just be idling around campus.

(Original post by Good bloke)
    Thankfully most Moslems are not as extreme, as you say, but the OP shows all the signs that she may be. The contents of her OP, what she stated as the views of her family, her aversion to becoming contaminated by mixing with westerners, her morbid fear of sharing the fridge, her desire to avoid music, all point to an unassimilated group that has probably been attending a Deobandi or Salafist mosque.

You are aware that about half of all UK mosques are funded by Salafists or Deobandis and have suitably extreme imams, aren't you? So what you and I think of as extreme teaching is seen among a huge proportion of the Moslem community as normal.
    You're looking into this too much. For a start I listen to music myself... I just don't listen to music which promotes sex, drugs, violence or anything. This kind of music is very popular and it's likely my house mates will listen to this....

As for the food I just don't want the meat to touch my food to contaminate it... ask a vegan if they would be ok with meat touching their food. It's the exact same thing.

Furthermore I have western friends, some are Christian, some are agnostic and some are straight up atheists... If you understood the basics of Islam you'd know my concerns are concerns any practising muslim would have.

I am simply nervous, I don't know what to expect as this type of environment will be a first for me. You may be used to drunks falling all over each other while partying to Rihanna and sucking the saliva out of each others mouths, but I am not.

Stop judging.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest here, you're going round in circles. If you are really concerned about engaging with Western people and their culture then commute, an hour there and back is nothing and chances are if you study in London, you'll be travelling that much anyways as you may not find accommodation on campus. I get that you're paranoid about haram meat touching your food but honestly, do you think the food you eat at home and out is absolutely halal and not 'contaminated' with haram meat? It most likely is, you just don't know.

You have several options, commute, find Islamic flatmates or just study in Saudi.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't that deep. My muslim friends have stayed in halls without working up a palaver. They stay with people who eat bacon, drink, have sex but they respect that and do their own things, no hard feelings involved. There is something called integration that people need to understand. It's really just making that first step and realising that you can integrate into society without being paranoid.

Sure, you take your religion very seriously and I respect that. If you were my flatmate I wouldn't expect any special treatment at all, I wouldn't care if you prayed every day, we'd all be free to do what we want.

Still have an issue? Fine. Find Muslim flatmates, there are sites which can help you find specific flatmates.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    If you are this concerned about how other people can affect your Islamic ways (e.g. alcohol, etc), then commuting is the best option.

Because once you go to Uni, it'll be hard to avoid the 'Western culture'. And it sounds unlikely you'll be in a flat/hall with all Muslims.

Well i am a muslim who is going Uni in September but if you try going for the same sex halls then I think it should be fine?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by UWS)
      It really isn't that deep. My muslim friends have stayed in halls without working up a palaver. They stay with people who eat bacon, drink, have sex but they respect that and do their own things, no hard feelings involved. There is something called integration that people need to understand. It's really just making that first step and realising that you can integrate into society without being paranoid.

Sure, you take your religion very seriously and I respect that. If you were my flatmate I wouldn't expect any special treatment at all, I wouldn't care if you prayed every day, we'd all be free to do what we want.

Still have an issue? Fine. Find Muslim flatmates, there are sites which can help you find specific flatmates.

/thread
      and I'm sure I am over reacting but that is why I made this thread, to try and clear up any misconceptions I may have, not to get roasted and trolled, so thank you for your honest reply.

I honestly don't have an issue with how people behave at uni, if they want to do those things that's absolutely fine by me! I just want to know how easy it would be to avoid such situations if I wanted to.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Good bloke)

So in order to integrate, you're saying Muslims need to give up all the beliefs that they hold dear and have to be like everyone else? I thought we had freedom of religion in this country. People don't have to listen to music, people don't have to mix with every group of people and people don't have to drink alcohol, go to parties where things that they consider immoral take place. Muslims can live as they want in this country. They don't need to give up their lifestyle and 'assimilate' just to please nonbelievers.

ReputationRep:
      So in order to integrate, you're saying Muslims need to give up all the beliefs that they hold dear and have to be like everyone else? I thought we had freedom of religion in this country. People don't have to listen to music, people don't have to mix with every group of people and people don't have to drink alcohol, go to parties where things that they consider immoral take place. Muslims can live as they want in this country. They don't need to give up their lifestyle and 'assimilate' just to please nonbelievers.
      But at the same time, we shouldn't be giving you special treatment either.

ReputationRep:
      So in order to integrate, you're saying Muslims need to give up all the beliefs.
      Did I say that? I don't think so. You can believe whatever superstitious nonsense you like (as many westerners do).

To integrate the very first step is to cease treating the rest of society as a likely contaminant, and be happy to meet and interact with them on their own ground. You don't have to copy them.

Cease giving off messages that say You are inferior to me and I want nothing to do with you; we cannot have a meaningful relationship as it may contaminate me, you being a non-believer. I shall stick to my own kind, and don't care if this means I live in a ghetto.

They should also stop indoctrinating their children into Islam, as almost all westerners have with Christianity and genuinely let them make their own minds up about beliefs. This is a form of child abuse.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.