Turn on thread page Beta

Muslims currently at uni, what is your honest opinion of the culture? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    No it's not haram but it's risky as when they put their bacon in the fridge it may touch my food.
    Place your food in a separate plastic container before putting it in the fridge if you feel uncomfortable about that prospect

ReputationRep:
    AishaGirl
    You asked for opinions of the majority who are not muslims. So...

I don't think the majority of people will give two figs whether you believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If you chose to live your life a certain way at University based on your religious beliefs then I think most people will leave you to it. And universities are diverse enough to cater to all sort of things, so I don't think you're going to struggle.

However you've got to accept that England is not, nor ever will be, a Muslim country, and it is you who is the exception, rather than the rule. It is inevitable, therefore, that you're going to come across things which are normal in our culture which you don't agree with, or feel that are in contravention of your belief system. Particularly at University. I think it's realising that you need to fit in with us (and we are happy to let you) rather than you demanding that things change to suit you which is the key to a happy and successful time.

I speak from personal experience - that's all I can. I've known some fairly devout Muslims who manage perfectly well to reconcile their beliefs with modern-day British life, primarily by not attempting to inflict their views on others, and by realising that things are not, and should not, be organised around them. Conversely, I've known some less than devout muslims who make a fuss out of absolutely everything, with unreasonable demands about having to have separate fridges in student accommodation because the communal one contains bacon, that sexualised music was being played in hall, etc. etc. A sure-fire way to alienate your fellow students pretty quickly.

It's all about being sensible and fitting in. But isn't everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Did I say that? I don't think so. You can believe whatever superstitious nonsense you like (as many westerners do).

To integrate the very first step is to cease treating the rest of society as a likely contaminant, and be happy to meet and interact with them on their own ground. You don't have to copy them.

Cease giving off messages that say You are inferior to me and I want nothing to do with you; we cannot have a meaningful relationship as it may contaminate me, you being a non-believer. I shall stick to my own kind, and don't care if this means I live in a ghetto.

They should also stop indoctrinating their children into Islam, as almost all westerners have with Christianity and genuinely let them make their own minds up about beliefs. This is a form of child abuse.
    I never acted like that... I have non muslim friends as I already mentioned if you bothered to read my posts.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully most Moslems are not as extreme, as you say, but the OP shows all the signs that she may be. The contents of her OP, what she stated as the views of her family, her aversion to becoming contaminated by mixing with westerners, her morbid fear of sharing the fridge, her desire to avoid music, all point to an unassimilated group that has probably been attending a Deobandi or Salafist mosque.

You are aware that about half of all UK mosques are funded by Salafists or Deobandis and have suitably extreme imams, aren't you? So what you and I think of as extreme teaching is seen among a huge proportion of the Moslem community as normal.
    It definitely has a hint of salafism to it..

For reals? But majority of my muslims friends don't be mind mixing. They've never told me they can't to my house or hangout with me because I'm Christian etc. Salafists and wahabis are ruining the Middle East,killing innocents and turn around and believe they're going to heaven and it's always these groups who are ready to belittle and degrade women at every opportunity. Good god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    Good goy...
    heheheh, make sure you buy the expensive ones, yes?
    For my, I mean, for your benefit, hehehe
    Attachment 618296
    Sod off you worthless cretin.

Also OP the majority of people will be fine with muslims living with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    AishaGirl
    You asked for opinions of the majority who are not muslims. So...

I don't think the majority of people will give two figs whether you believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If you chose to live your life a certain way at University based on your religious beliefs then I think most people will leave you to it. And universities are diverse enough to cater to all sort of things, so I don't think you're going to struggle.

However you've got to accept that England is not, nor ever will be, a Muslim country, and it is you who is the exception, rather than the rule. It is inevitable, therefore, that you're going to come across things which are normal in our culture which you don't agree with, or feel that are in contravention of your belief system. Particularly at University. I think it's realising that you need to fit in with us (and we are happy to let you) rather than you demanding that things change to suit you which is the key to a happy and successful time.

I speak from personal experience - that's all I can. I've known some fairly devout Muslims who manage perfectly well to reconcile their beliefs with modern-day British life, primarily by not attempting to inflict their views on others, and by realising that things are not, and should not, be organised around them. Conversely, I've known some less than devout muslims who make a fuss out of absolutely everything, with unreasonable demands about having to have separate fridges in student accommodation because the communal one contains bacon, that sexualised music was being played in hall, etc. etc. A sure-fire way to alienate your fellow students pretty quickly.

It's all about being sensible and fitting in. But isn't everything?
    I never once asked for special treatment... if the uni allows me to have a mini fridge then that's great but I've never once asked for nor expect special treatment. Not one time have I hinted at such in this thread either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    For reals?
    Read: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/06/w...s-our-mosques/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    It definitely has a hint of salafism to it..

For reals? But majority of my muslims friends don't be mind mixing. They've never told me they can't to my house or hangout with me because I'm Christian/kuffar etc. Salafists and wahabis are ruining the Middle East,killing innocents and turn around and believe they're going to heaven and it's always these groups who are ready to belittle and degrade women at every opportunity. Good god
    Please do NOT use the word 'kuffar'. We've already been through this, and it is considered offensive. AishaGirl will be able to clarify this.

ReputationRep:
    I never once asked for special treatment... if the uni allows me to have a mini fridge then that's great but I've never once asked for nor expect special treatment. Not one time have I hinted at such in this thread either.
    Please read more carefully, Aisha At no point was it suggested that you had.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I am alone in this, but I find this thread depressing.

ReputationRep:
    I called someone a kaffir and got told off for it. I don't think it's allowed here.
    Gotcha

ReputationRep:
    I called someone a kaffir and got told off for it. I don't think it's allowed here.
    Let's not be too disingenuous here, Aisha. You also made a thread specifically to apologise for the offence you caused to others throughout that thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...336&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    Let's not be too disingenuous here, Aisha. You also made a thread specifically to apologise for the offence you caused to others throughout that thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...336&highlight=
    Yeah because I was rude so I apologised... I don't get what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because I was rude so I apologised... I don't get what you mean.
    The notion that 'I used that word and was told off, I don't think it's allowed here' - sounds a bit vague and unsure. When in fact you know exactly why you can't use that term, because we've only been through it four days ago.

Bowing out now. I've contributed to your question, and don't want to get into a discussion about terminology - that's already been done. I would agree with astutehirstute that it is a little depressing. And why do all muslim threads always seem to end up at the same destination, regardless of their starting point.

Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    The notion that 'I used that word and was told off, I don't think it's allowed here' - sounds a bit vague and unsure. When in fact you know exactly why you can't use that term, because we've only been through it four days ago.

Bowing out now. I've contributed to your question, and don't want to get into a discussion about terminology - that's already been done. I would agree with astutehirstute that it is a little depressing. And why do all muslim threads always seem to end up at the same destination, regardless of their starting point.

Oh well...
    Because people like you derail them

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP is just trying to take a dig at secularism.
    I doubt the OP even has an offer to get into Oxford and Cambridge therefore you will be fine and no one will disturb you. Oxbridge is still quite religious.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the OP called us Kaffirs pretty much proves she doesn't like non-Muslims. That is a derogatory term used by ISIS and many other Islamist groups, nevertheless, if you don't like English culture GO TO SCHOOL IN DUBAI FFS

ReputationRep:
    Did I say that? I don't think so. You can believe whatever superstitious nonsense you like (as many westerners do).

To integrate the very first step is to cease treating the rest of society as a likely contaminant, and be happy to meet and interact with them on their own ground. You don't have to copy them.

Cease giving off messages that say You are inferior to me and I want nothing to do with you; we cannot have a meaningful relationship as it may contaminate me, you being a non-believer. I shall stick to my own kind, and don't care if this means I live in a ghetto.

They should also stop indoctrinating their children into Islam, as almost all westerners have with Christianity and genuinely let them make their own minds up about beliefs. This is a form of child abuse.
    No one here on this thread was treating anyone as a contaminant. But we are allowed toc goose who we interact with and who we don't interact with on "their own ground".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melanasam_x)
    The fact that the OP called us Kaffirs pretty much proves she doesn't like non-Muslims. That is a derogatory term used by ISIS and many other Islamist groups, nevertheless, if you don't like English culture GO TO SCHOOL IN DUBAI FFS
    Ok, let's get something clear. Kuffar literally just means "nonbeliever" in Arabic and is used frequently in the Quran. It's not something that you should consider offensive. If you do, that's your problem, not anyone else's.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not paranoid, just cautious.

And no I do not want to apply to an Islamic uni, I prefer to go to one of the good universities I have selected.
    so islamic universities are not good?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.