Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims currently at uni, what is your honest opinion of the culture? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigAsianBoi)
    Ok, let's get something clear. Kuffar literally just means "nonbeliever" in Arabic and is used frequently in the Quran. It's not something that you should consider offensive. If you do, that's your problem, not anyone else's.
    Yes but it is used usually in a derogatory manner. Like when an Islamic parent says "why are you dating a kaffir!?" Its not exactly nice. Don't try to cover it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melanasam_x)
    Yes but it is used usually in a derogatory manner. Like when an Islamic parent says "why are you dating a kaffir!?" Its not exactly nice. Don't try to cover it.
    Just because some people use it in a derogatory manner does not mean that the word itself is derogatory. And an Islamic parent would rightly be concerned if their child was dating a kaffir.

ReputationRep:
    so islamic universities are not good?
    They are but not as good as good as the one I want to go to and for the subject I want to study.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't even applied for University so shut up. And with your attitude you will hate Oxbridge or any of the other Russell's. Go to your own Moslem universities and don't expect us to accommodate your nonsense. Cant believe I just read this whole thread.
    Don't be rude to anyone. We don't need to accommodate your Islamiphobic nonsense in this country.

ReputationRep:
    It is my country lmao and did you not hear that Trump was coming?
    It's my country as well. And it's the country of over a million British Muslims as well as everyone else.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Let's be honest here, you're going round in circles. If you are really concerned about engaging with Western people and their culture then commute, an hour there and back is nothing and chances are if you study in London, you'll be travelling that much anyways as you may not find accommodation on campus. I get that you're paranoid about haram meat touching your food but honestly, do you think the food you eat at home and out is absolutely halal and not 'contaminated' with haram meat? It most likely is, you just don't know.

You have several options, commute, find Islamic flatmates or just study in Saudi.
    Exactly lmao
    I used to travel an hour+ for sixth form and it's not tiring (maybe for the first week lol but then you get used to it)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    kuffar is just a shorter way of saying non believers
    You *know* it isn't. Do not use it.

Stop judging.
    And yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You *know* it isn't. Do not use it.

And yet...

(Original post by TheProphetsPath)
      It seems that it'd be much better for you to you to travel everyday rather than be exposed to so much fitnah.
      your life is so tragic, can't believe you've been brainwashed into not having fun! come on you are young, you only live once, and you're not going to enjoy your youth at all!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BigAsianBoi)
      No one here on this thread was treating anyone as a contaminant. But we are allowed toc goose who we interact with and who we don't interact with on "their own ground".
      You obviously have not read the whole thread. I can make no sense of your second sentence.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tabstercat)
      your life is so tragic, can't believe you've been brainwashed into not having fun! come on you are young, you only live once, and you're not going to enjoy your youth at all!
      Alhmadulillah we don't live only once, and the second life we will live, eternally, in our youth so i'm good. Thanks for the offer though, but being young isn't an excuse to act immorally.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      You *know* it isn't..
      I know it is usually intended in a pejorative way but I treat being called that as a badge of honour rather than take offence at it. For a supremely and arrogantly superstitious person to look down on the ratonal is amusingly ironic in the extreme.

Alhmadulillah we don't live only once, and the second life we will live, eternally, in our youth so i'm good. Thanks for the offer though, but being young isn't an excuse to act immorally.
        It's not immoral if you're not harming anyone. What's going to happen when there isn't a second life? You'll have wasted your entire youth.

ReputationRep:
        Yeah because I was rude so I apologised... I don't get what you mean.
        I've not seen you say anything as bad as what some of them lot have said towards Muslims in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        It's not immoral if you're not harming anyone. What's going to happen when there isn't a second life? You'll have wasted your entire youth.
        You derive your morals differently to me. I consider it immoral in many ways.
        Alhamdulillah, islam provides for me the best way of life i can imagine and I do not consider not indulging in these temporary amusements, or not submitting myself to immoral acts a "waste of my entire youth".
        What will you do when there is a second life? And you'll have no chance to come back and change your ways??
        There mere belief of living only one life is depressing.

ReputationRep:
        Why cant you just put your food in securelock containers? You live in the UK and western culture is inevitable. You cant completely avoid it..

Not all of us can travel to university. It costs a lot of money and it gets tiring.

ReputationRep:
        It is my country lmao and did you not hear that Trump was coming?
        Is it heck, we are merely slaves to the system.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by IdeasForLife)
        I've not seen you say anything as bad as what some of them lot have said towards Muslims in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Please try not to be divisive or inflammatory. Thanks.

You derive your morals differently to me. I consider it immoral in many ways.
          Alhamdulillah, islam provides for me the best way of life i can imagine and I do not consider not indulging in these temporary amusements, or not submitting myself to immoral acts a "waste of my entire youth".
          What will you do when there is a second life? And you'll have no chance to come back and change your ways??
          There mere belief of living only one life is depressing.
          do you think the reason you believe in Islam is because you are scared of your own mortality?
          I'm not worried about a second life because there's no way to know that it will happen and I don't do actual immoral things like killing or harming people, if God wants to punish me for eternity despite being me a basically good person then I'd say he's a bit of a ****.

ReputationRep:
          do you think the reason you believe in Islam is because you are scared of your own mortality?
          I'm not worried about a second life because there's no way to know that it will happen and I don't do actual immoral things like killing or harming people, if God wants to punish me for eternity despite being me a basically good person then I'd say he's a bit of a ****.
          No, i am mortal and so is everyone. However my soul is eternal, that's not why i know islam is the truth though. There are many reasons and signs which are all around us, reading the Quran (sincerely) is a sign itself. If you haven't, then you should try.
          That's the thing, wouldn't Hitler say the same thing? People genuinely think certain acts are ethically okay, Hitler thought Jewish people weren't deserving of living in this world and he thought the right thing to do, for everyone, would have them exterminated. In his mind he was a good person and was doing the world a favour and so; he could say the same thing as he believes he didn't do anything immoral.
          You say immoral things are things like killing or harming people, but how so? Who says? there is no way to say that them things are immoral especially if someone thinks they're a means to do the world a favour.
          There are other meanings to life than to just be what each of us define as a 'good person'. And what is the need to live as a good person if you will have no repercussions in the afterlife for any bad you do?

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2017
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.