Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Religions would rapidly disappear if parents did not shove their beliefs on their children.
    Yess *Claps*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmanM7)
    I'm a Christian too and being a Christian I've learnt that keeping my faith in God is the way to get thru things and prayer but for some reason it's not working. I may be doing something wrong but I don't wanna lose my faith because I've felt the change in me but I'm just breaking to a point where I question it
    There are two very clear and logical reasons why it is not working. God doesn't exist and religion is fabricated ********.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember this life is not perfect because it is not paradise.

broken glassby Matt Slick The following are examples of mistakes I've seen atheists make when dialoguing with Christians. They are important to know for both sides so better dialogue might take place. First of all, the atheist must realize that making these mistakes lessens his credibility with a Christian and does not help his cause. Second, the Christian should know these errors so he can identify them during a conversation and, hopefully, not commit them himself. Condescension and insults This is the most common of all mistakes made by atheists. They are often condescending as they mock Christianity. They insult God, call him a tyrant, refer to Christianity as mythology, baseless, a fairytale, compare God to invisible pink unicorns and Santa Clause, etc. Unfortunately, this is all too typical of atheists and if they want to be taken seriously at all, they need to stop being so rude and crude because they do nothing to further discussion. Attacking the Christian God and accusing him of immorality is immensely problematic for atheists who have no objective standard of morality yet are quick to judge. We see their inconsistency even if they don't. Misrepresentation Sometimes atheists will construct an argument against Christianity that does not reflect a true Christian position. For example, one atheist stated that the Trinity was illogical because three gods could not be one God. Another atheist said that if God is all-powerful, can he make a square circle? This misrepresents the Christian understanding of God's omnipotence. Deception Sometimes atheists will imitate Christians to cause problems in discussion boards. They will sometimes pretend to be interested in something but are really lying in wait and looking for an opportunity to destroy someone's faith. Failing to study what they criticize Atheists very often fail to seriously study Christianity and its teachings before they start attacking it. This is a huge problem and atheists are commonly guilty of this. Parroting anti-Christian material Often atheists will parrot what they've read from anti-Christian websites that might have, for example, lists of alleged Bible contradictions. They will then copy and paste them into discussion boards. Unfortunately, they tend to ignore context when they do this. Then when an explanation is offered, they dismiss it. Atheists often challenge the theist to prove God’s existence only within the confines of science. Science has served humanity well. Through it we have discovered countless natural laws of the universe, and we use that knowledge to make our lives easier in every area of our existence. But to limit a theist's proofs to the confines of what the atheist demands is terribly one-sided. To a Christian, there are experiences that science and logic cannot explain. The atheist needs to recognize we have experiences that are life-changing. No mere psychological set of theories can explain the changes in our lives. So please, don't mock them. Can science nail down all that exists in mind, body, and soul? No. Can it quantify the beauty of a sunset, the cooing of a baby, or the love of a man and a woman? Science and logic have served us well, but they are not the ultimate truth to all things. Of course, that does not mean we ignore science. In fact, we use it in our proofs for God. But to limit the playing field to your set of rules is an improper way to start. It is mostly an attempt to initiate control and keep command of the conversation by setting the ground rules according to your criteria. Though an atheist may not accept biblical evidence as support for God's existence, it does not negate the fact that the Bible is evidence. Whether or not the atheist wants to accept it is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    And beliefs like yours prevent us as a species from advancing forward for greatness in terms of level of respect and tolerance. The cure for ignorance would have probably been found if your beliefs didn't exist. So the less idiots there are, the better.
    Well firstly if my beliefs didn't exist, the level of ignorance would actually be significantly greater. The capacity of the average human mind will deteriorate to that of apes. There would be more people who believe that a virgin birth is possible. More people who believe that a fictional character Allah, spoke to a illiterate man and commanded him to write the qu'ran; without making any mistakes in spelling etc.

I think I've made myself clear. No more examples needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Religions would rapidly disappear if parents did not shove their beliefs on their children.
    And also just for the record I don't think parents or ANYBODY should shove their beliefs or opinions on anybody; people should be aloud to make their own minds up. Freedom of will and all that.

You however do not seem to be sticking to this and have a vendetta against religion and the people who follow it, which saddens me actually because people would get along far better if this wasn't the case and acceptance was.

Not ONCE has any of us 'religious idiots' to paraphrase somewhat, said anything of the sort to you. I think it rather uncouth and upsetting for people to do so and rip into people, but I fear I cannot stop that from happening, it is the way it is.

I shall always get questioned as to why I believe but I will never question anybody else's as they have a right to believe what they want too even if I disagree with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erkutakgok)
    You will certainly be in paradise with 72 virgins when you decide to play "Lets see how many people I can kill with this bomb strapped to my chest". But it will be fine as a
    allah is great
    right?
    *Allah
    Allah (God) is great and may He guide you. Ameen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahEnglishRose)
    And also just for the record I don't think parents or ANYBODY should shove their beliefs or opinions on anybody; people should be aloud to make their own minds up. Freedom of will and all that.
    Well, this is what most religious parents do, often not even consciously.

You however do not seem to be sticking to this and have a vendetta against religion and the people who follow it, which saddens me actually because people would get along far better if this wasn't the case and acceptance was.
    I don't have a vendetta (which is a blood feud) against religious people. :rolleyes:

Not ONCE has any of us 'religious idiots' to paraphrase somewhat, said anything of the sort to you. I think it rather uncouth and upsetting for people to do so and rip into people, but I fear I cannot stop that from happening, it is the way it is.
    Not on this thread, but on this site, you will found several religious people saying that atheists cannot have a moral, cannot be righteous, are more likely to commit crimes, etc.

I shall always get questioned as to why I believe but I will never question anybody else's as they have a right to believe what they want too even if I disagree with it.
    Everybody has the right to believe in what they want, sure, but they must expect to be challenged on this. Most of my thinking is firm, so I am not afraid of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Well, this is what most religious parents do, often not even consciously.

I don't have a vendetta (which is a blood feud) against religious people. :rolleyes:

Not on this thread, but on this site, you will found several religious people saying that atheists cannot have a moral, cannot be righteous, are more likely to commit crimes, etc.

Everybody has the right to believe in what they want, sure, but they must expect to be challenged on this. Most of my thinking is firm, so I am not afraid of that.
    I don't question people cause it just doesn't bother me it's their right and that's just the way I think of it.

Just because some people say those things about atheists it doesn't mean that all religious people will.

My faith is 'firm' and unmoved by what people may say so okay...

I'm tired of repeating myself now I hope you have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    TSR yet again going against freedom of speech and removing my posts and replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    That's not always the case.

ReputationRep:
    That's not always the case.
    Not always, but most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Does that look like "one" cure of cancer to you?

I wouldn't even call any of those a "cure" anyway, apart from surgery. Many of those send people into remission with a chance of the cancer coming back. Many cancer survivors live their lives with a chance of it coming back so it's not a cure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Does that look like "one" cure of cancer to you?

I wouldn't even call any of those a "cure" anyway, apart from surgery. Many of those send people into remission with a chance of the cancer coming back. Many cancer survivors live their lives with a chance of it coming back so it's not a cure.
    The Joker ~ <-- The IDIOT !! O.O

I know I'm am an idiot but Cure, no cure... what I see is hope. And don' t forget that a couple of decades ago the very word cancer was like death sentence. Today, there are in our midst people who are changing this perception.. more and more people... ~
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Christian too and being a Christian I've learnt that keeping my faith in God is the way to get thru things and prayer but for some reason it's not working. I may be doing something wrong but I don't wanna lose my faith because I've felt the change in me but I'm just breaking to a point where I question it
    Ignoring all the ******** arguing in this thread for a moment: I'm personally of the opinion that if a Christian never doubts or questions their faith at all, something's not quite right!

Being a Christian is no guarantee of having a nice, easy life, unfortunately! We are all called to carry various crosses. All you can do is shoulder yours as best as you can :console:

Are you part of a church community? Can you talk to a member of the clergy about what you are experiencing? It's hard to advise without knowing the exact situation. But I try and take comfort from the Footprints prayer-poem. Rest assured that whatever you are going through, God is right there with you :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't question people cause it just doesn't bother me it's their right and that's just the way I think of it.

Just because some people say those things about atheists it doesn't mean that all religious people will.

My faith is 'firm' and unmoved by what people may say so okay...

I'm tired of repeating myself now I hope you have a nice day
    • My belief is that while one is entitled to an opinion, they are not entitled to being free of criticism of the opinion.
    • The individual never claimed otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Joker ~)
    The Joker ~ <-- The IDIOT !! O.O

I know I'm am an idiot but Cure, no cure... what I see is hope. And don' t forget that a couple of decades ago the very word cancer was like death sentence. Today, there are in our midst people who are changing this perception.. more and more people... ~
    ofcourse, it's getting better. 10+ years chance of living cancer free. I see hope too.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my faith disappeared because I realised I was tired of being made to feel inferior and sinful by God. I didn't want to lead a life if self-deprecation so I quit.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever felt their faith in whatever you believe in, just fade away because you've come to the point where you've done everything but still can never be happy
    I feel to be losing my faith in God. I've constantly kept my faith but I guess there's a breaking point for everyone
    Any advice on what to do
    Turn to God and ask Him for guidance and always remember that Satan works really hard against those who believe in God in hope that they'll stop believing in Him. Stay strong as this is a test from God.

Remember:

God created you and gave you absolutely everything, don't be ungrateful to Him by denying Him.

Also, remember death and what you believe will happen in the afterlife.

As a Muslim, in your situation (known as weak Iman) I would listen/read more Qur'aan, pray more prayers, give more charity, practice more acts of kindness and righteousness, etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you lose faith in God, it is because you are getting further away from him by not praying or involving him in your day to day life. Or you could simply be having a bad day or be depressed. We all go through it. Sometimes I feel like ripping all of my textbooks up, yelling at my mum, crying, kicking down doors. Sometimes I wish I could go to an abandoned forest for a few hours just to get my mind right. I believe in God for many reasons. I feel everything has a consequence and happens for a reason. I find it hard to believe all of us just 'came' into existence or that humanity was simply a 'coincidence'. I believe the countless stars and galaxies, the millions of species that have been discovered and undiscovered on this Earth, the Sun which is a perfect distance from our Earth and us humans were all made by a higher entity, which is God. It is a basic law of science that 'something' cannot come from 'nothing'. The stars were once something else. Me and you were once small eggs. And so were our parents and great grandparents and all of humanity. Also the more scientists research, the more arguments there are for the existence of God.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.