Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First some information about grades and stuff:
    My school requires us to have a 6 (B) in Maths in order to enter into a Computer Science course.
    My current grade is a 4/5 (C) in Maths
    My target grade in maths is a 7 (A) and my minimum is a 6

My question to those who have entered a Computer Science course with their school, and it has an entry requirement, is how lenient was your school with entry grades. I'm desperate to do this as one of my options ,and would really like the experiences of others to give me an idea of my chances.
    Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE compsci i've got an A* in both my courseworks and the mocks,
    which is good, because i'm the best programmer in the school.

But then there's maths, which i'll need to get atleast a scale 5 on in the mocks.
    My target however is a 6, and the college entry requirement is a 6.

ReputationRep:
    The entry requirements are generally put in with a purpose. If you cannot meet the entry requirements, it probably means that you will not be able to keep up with the course or understand it. I wouldn't recommend taking a subject if you don't meet the entry requirements, even if the school is lenient with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    For GCSE compsci i've got an A* in both my courseworks and the mocks,
    which is good, because i'm the best programmer in the school.

But then there's maths, which i'll need to get atleast a scale 5 on in the mocks.
    My target however is a 6, and the college entry requirement is a 6.
    Was there a grade requirement for your GCSE Computer Science course? If so what was it and did you meet it? Sorry for so many questions, just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    Was there a grade requirement for your GCSE Computer Science course? If so what was it and did you meet it? Sorry for so many questions, just curious
    No, for college. I'm doing compsci right now (GCSE), and there was no requirement needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    The entry requirements are generally put in with a purpose. If you cannot meet the entry requirements, it probably means that you will not be able to keep up with the course or understand it. I wouldn't recommend taking a subject if you don't meet the entry requirements, even if the school is lenient with them.
    Do you not think they'll take into account my target and minimum grades? They were taken off of my previous results and CAT's, I just did poorly on the latest test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    First some information about grades and stuff:
    My school requires us to have a 6 (B) in Maths in order to enter into a Computer Science course.
    My current grade is a 4/5 (C) in Maths
    My target grade in maths is a 7 (A) and my minimum is a 6

My question to those who have entered a Computer Science course with their school, and it has an entry requirement, is how lenient was your school with entry grades. I'm desperate to do this as one of my options ,and would really like the experiences of others to give me an idea of my chances.
    Thanks alot!
    In all honesty, If you can't get a B at GCSE maths then I'd strongly reconsider if Computer Science is for you. A-Level Computer Science is quite heavy on mathematical concepts, and you'd definitely struggle if you're not doing well in Maths. Our school has extremely high requirements for Computer Science A-Level. You need:

A in GCSE Computer Science (if taken)
    A in Maths
    AA in double science (if GCSE computing wasn't taken)
    BBB in triple science (if GCSE computing wasn't taken)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    In all honesty, If you can't get a B at GCSE maths then I'd strongly reconsider if Computer Science is for you. A-Level Computer Science is quite heavy on mathematical concepts, and you'd definitely struggle if you're not doing well in Maths. Our school has extremely high requirements for Computer Science A-Level. You need:

A in GCSE Computer Science (if taken)
    A in Maths
    AA in double science (if GCSE computing wasn't taken)
    BBB in triple science (if GCSE computing wasn't taken)
    That's the thing, I know I can achieve a B, it's just I haven't performed well on my latest test. Sometimes I get test anxiety and so I don't do particularly well, considering the test had quite serious implications if I did not achieve at least a 6.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.