Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I am going into S6 next year and am unsure whether to crash chemistry higher or not.
    Obviously I understand that it is a risk since I didn't study National 5 but I am interested in doing a science course at university and I know that Higher chemistry would be helpful. At the moment I have a background in Biology because I study it at Higher level but I want to expand my knowledge by studying chemistry.

Please also bear in mind I don't study Higher Maths or Physics at the moment either.
    It would be much appreciated if anybody who has crashed chemistry at higher or knows of the course could post any advice/experiences below.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The maths in chemistry is really easy so don't be worried about that. Ive never done Biology, so I cant draw analogous examples between the two, however the writing skills possessed in Biology (you do 10 mark essays or something right?) should come in handy for chemistry. Whilst there are no essays, 3 and 4 mark questions are common, and there is a lot of explaining especially in Unit 1 and 2. I would read over all the National 5 content, or at least have a solid background in it. Especially bonding and periodic trends. You can do he calculations with little background knowledge as there is not much difference in the Nat 5 calculations.

I've probably forgot some stuff, read over the prospectus (linked below) and check for yourself. Im sure your school will provide you resources to prepare you going into Higher.
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/CfE_..._Chemistry.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_Skittle)
    Hello
    I am going into S6 next year and am unsure whether to crash chemistry higher or not.
    Obviously I understand that it is a risk since I didn't study National 5 but I am interested in doing a science course at university and I know that Higher chemistry would be helpful. At the moment I have a background in Biology because I study it at Higher level but I want to expand my knowledge by studying chemistry.

Please also bear in mind I don't study Higher Maths or Physics at the moment either.
    It would be much appreciated if anybody who has crashed chemistry at higher or knows of the course could post any advice/experiences below.

Thanks
    The advice given above is great, speaking from a personal experience Chemistry was fairly straightforward to crash and found myself never challenged by the course. I still can't believe I managed to do it though. Looking over national 5 content would give you a decent grounding, it's really finding your own pace. If you need any help quote me, or pm me and I'll help you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank You!
    It's reassuring to know that there are other people that have chosen to crash chemistry Higher! It also seems as if it's not a crazy idea to crash Higher!

I should also mention that I have access to a chemistry study guide.
    Has anybody used the How to Pass/BrightRed books?
    Have they been helpful for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple_Skittle)
    Thank You!
    It's reassuring to know that there are other people that have chosen to crash chemistry Higher! It also seems as if it's not a crazy idea to crash Higher!

I should also mention that I have access to a chemistry study guide.
    Has anybody used the How to Pass/BrightRed books?
    Have they been helpful for you?
    It's pish trust me. Anybody can get at least a B with normal revision. I used the chemistry course syllabus along with the John Anderson textbook. I got A band 1s in the exam and prelim with literally no other source. I think people spend too much money on books when you only need one lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desiboi101)
    It's pish trust me. Anybody can get at least a B with normal revision. I used the chemistry course syllabus along with the John Anderson textbook. I got A band 1s in the exam and prelim with literally no other source. I think people spend too much money on books when you only need one lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow!
    This has really boosted my confidence. Obviously, it's going to require a lot of revision for me because I haven't studied chemistry since S3 though.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to be familiar with unit 2 of N5 chem, as Higher expands on this with assuming you are aware of the basics. You need to know basics of naming, structures, functional groups, reactions etc. before you can tackle Higher, otherwise it'd be a struggle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.