Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently studying maths, art and product design at a-level. I really don't know what university course to choose, or if I should go to uni at all. My preferred uni course would be product design or architecture, but I am worried that I might not be able to get a job in this area after uni. I have also looked at engineering, would this be a good choice if I am interested in design? Any advice or suggestions for uni Courses would be much appreciated! Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James244)
    Hello, I am currently studying maths, art and product design at a-level. I really don't know what university course to choose, or if I should go to uni at all. My preferred uni course would be product design or architecture, but I am worried that I might not be able to get a job in this area after uni. I have also looked at engineering, would this be a good choice if I am interested in design? Any advice or suggestions for uni Courses would be much appreciated! Thanks
    Depends on what you want to design. A huge amount of engineering is about design, but mainly more technical design rather than artistic design.

ReputationRep:
    Some engineering degress will want Physics A level so a website like Which uni ? might help.

If you go for product design or engineering choose a course with a year in industry. Architecture is a long course and I'd avoid it unless you are sure.

ReputationRep:
    Try entering your A levels here:

http://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey James244,

Why don't you think about going to open days to see first hand what you might be interested in?
    In some courses, they may focus on the engineering side of designs so it might help you see what you would like to work in.
    You could also ask students how their experience is and what their studies are like to see if their is heavy base design or if they focus on the engineering side of things.

If you're in London, why not come to an open day at Ravensbourne.
    We have a Product Design course here if you are interested.

Feel free to ask me anything about the course. I'm a 3rd year

Hope this helps
    Kay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.