Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Manchester or Sussex uni? (and close to home vs far away) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am really stuck between studying at Sussex uni or Manchester uni (studying Anthropology). I like the course at both, has anyone got any pros or cons of each of the unis?
    Also Sussex is a lot closer to me (1hr drive rather than 5hr), does this makes much of a difference? My brother is in 1st year uni and is really sociable but says he often wants to come back for a weekend and says most people feel the same - is this just a 1st year thing or does it mean people are usually happier closer to home?

I am really stuck between these two so any input would be great - thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaisieFord1)
    I am really stuck between studying at Sussex uni or Manchester uni (studying Anthropology). I like the course at both, has anyone got any pros or cons of each of the unis?
    Also Sussex is a lot closer to me (1hr drive rather than 5hr), does this makes much of a difference? My brother is in 1st year uni and is really sociable but says he often wants to come back for a weekend and says most people feel the same - is this just a 1st year thing or does it mean people are usually happier closer to home?

I think it's a personal thing wanting to be close to home vs not, I visited once in the first term before christmas and that was it, but then i'd always wanted to move away for a fresh start. The only difference really is the cost of getting back to home if you needed to in an emergency.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for Manchester but given my username you might be able to where I am from

Whilst I don't go to Sussex I am a local and have plenty of friends who go there (my father also went but that was in the 1970s!). I can go through the pros first. Everyone I know at Sussex loves it. It has a really great social life as the centre of Brighton is just about 15 minutes away or even quicker if you have friends to split a cab with. Brighton has an awesome nightlife and during the day there are always things to do both at night and during the day. Also if you love going to the beach during summer Brighton is definitely the place to be. Another pro of Brighton is that it has lots of train stations, we are only an hour away from London, by and large the transport in Brighton is very good. It is also very cyclist friendly as a result of the green council. The student union seems very active, given that Brighton is a very liberal place they seem to have lots of demonstrations and marches, if you are into that kind of thing. In the city centre are plenty of mainstream shops and also really quirky ones in the Laines and North Laines. There are also about 4 theatres and 4 cinemas including independent ones which are pretty cool. The campus of Sussex is pleasant, whilst the buildings are pretty ugly there are lots of amenities including a gym, banks and shops. Sussex uni also offers some very generous scholarships, I have one friend who is on a combination of scholarships and receives just under £3000 a year, ŵith another on £1800.

The cons of Brighton are its expensive. Accommodation is not cheap and has the highest rise in house prices out of anywhere in the country including London. Public transport is also not that cheap, although I don't know much about the rest of the country but in Brighton it is £2.50 for a single bus ticket, but this can be reduced with a free bus pass. Also if you are not sociable I am not sure if it is the place for you.

In regards to going home for the weekend I don't feel the need to. I have no friends or flat mates who go home either but that could just be a personal choice, also if you do an arts subject you have a reading week in which most people choose to go home. But as I said it's personal choice, maybe if I lived closer I would go home more often.

I'm happy to answer any more questions who have about Brighton or the uni as I'm very familiar with it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightonDunkley)
    I can't speak for Manchester but given my username you might be able to where I am from

Whilst I don't go to Sussex I am a local and have plenty of friends who go there (my father also went but that was in the 1970s!). I can go through the pros first. Everyone I know at Sussex loves it. It has a really great social life as the centre of Brighton is just about 15 minutes away or even quicker if you have friends to split a cab with. Brighton has an awesome nightlife and during the day there are always things to do both at night and during the day. Also if you love going to the beach during summer Brighton is definitely the place to be. Another pro of Brighton is that it has lots of train stations, we are only an hour away from London, by and large the transport in Brighton is very good. It is also very cyclist friendly as a result of the green council. The student union seems very active, given that Brighton is a very liberal place they seem to have lots of demonstrations and marches, if you are into that kind of thing. In the city centre are plenty of mainstream shops and also really quirky ones in the Laines and North Laines. There are also about 4 theatres and 4 cinemas including independent ones which are pretty cool. The campus of Sussex is pleasant, whilst the buildings are pretty ugly there are lots of amenities including a gym, banks and shops. Sussex uni also offers some very generous scholarships, I have one friend who is on a combination of scholarships and receives just under £3000 a year, ŵith another on £1800.

The cons of Brighton are its expensive. Accommodation is not cheap and has the highest rise in house prices out of anywhere in the country including London. Public transport is also not that cheap, although I don't know much about the rest of the country but in Brighton it is £2.50 for a single bus ticket, but this can be reduced with a free bus pass. Also if you are not sociable I am not sure if it is the place for you.

In regards to going home for the weekend I don't feel the need to. I have no friends or flat mates who go home either but that could just be a personal choice, also if you do an arts subject you have a reading week in which most people choose to go home. But as I said it's personal choice, maybe if I lived closer I would go home more often.

I'm happy to answer any more questions who have about Brighton or the uni as I'm very familiar with it. Good luck
    Thanks for such a detailed reply! Sussex uni does sound really good, as does Brighton (I've also visited a few times and really liked it). Good to hear that the social life is good as well as that was one of my concerns. Another thing I was wondering about is the variety of people that go to Sussex uni - do you know if there are lots of people from all over the uk or more south based? I know quite a few people at my college who want to go to Sussex and I'd like to go to a place which feels completely different with people from all over the country rather than somewhere full of people I already know. Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:

Manchester. Although, Sheffield is the best choice in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I need to take a flight back home and train to get the the airport, so cost + the hassle of travelling (door to door) 8+ hours makes it more worthwhile just to stay at uni. I believe I've had a better experience in coming to GB than staying in NI, mainly because if I stayed in NI, EVERYONE (not really, but the vast majority local (NI) students) go home EVERY weekend, not really a proper uni experience if your travelling up and down every week or two. The longer away from home the more you appreciate being back and the more you learn to be more independent. There will be times when you miss it, but if you need to go running home every time you get a little home sick, its probably best to get that out of your system while at uni. If you worry you'll get home sick and be stuck, unable to get back due to money/time, then use that to your advantage, make sure you join at least 1 sports team/society that you can fully commit to (team sports are usually best as that can be at least 2 nights a week + game day on the weekend), staying busy and keeping good company is a good way to fight off homesickness. I've done a lot of travelling and also from my experience at uni here, missing home/feel down will happen when you are spending too much time not being productive/alone or both.

As for the unis, Manchester would have a better vibe to the city obviously, however it isn't campus based (Sussex might be???) so that is something to consider maybe. Manc. has a much better prestige to the university. PS 5hrs travel time isn't that bad. Its pretty ideal really, far enough that you can't just up and go home when you miss it, but close enough that you can get back quickly if you really need to. I'd go for Manchester personally. But I know nothing about Sussex tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I think it's a personal thing wanting to be close to home vs not, I visited once in the first term before christmas and that was it, but then i'd always wanted to move away for a fresh start. The only difference really is the cost of getting back to home if you needed to in an emergency.
    Thanks for your reply, I agree about it being a personal thing. I think I am okay with being far away, but my brother finds a lot of his uni friends go home lots at weekends meaning weekends can be boring at uni. Is that something you found?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    I need to take a flight back home and train to get the the airport, so cost + the hassle of travelling (door to door) 8+ hours makes it more worthwhile just to stay at uni. I believe I've had a better experience in coming to GB than staying in NI, mainly because if I stayed in NI, EVERYONE (not really, but the vast majority local (NI) students) go home EVERY weekend, not really a proper uni experience if your travelling up and down every week or two. The longer away from home the more you appreciate being back and the more you learn to be more independent. There will be times when you miss it, but if you need to go running home every time you get a little home sick, its probably best to get that out of your system while at uni. If you worry you'll get home sick and be stuck, unable to get back due to money/time, then use that to your advantage, make sure you join at least 1 sports team/society that you can fully commit to (team sports are usually best as that can be at least 2 nights a week + game day on the weekend), staying busy and keeping good company is a good way to fight off homesickness. I've done a lot of travelling and also from my experience at uni here, missing home/feel down will happen when you are spending too much time not being productive/alone or both.

As for the unis, Manchester would have a better vibe to the city obviously, however it isn't campus based (Sussex might be???) so that is something to consider maybe. Manc. has a much better prestige to the university. PS 5hrs travel time isn't that bad. Its pretty ideal really, far enough that you can't just up and go home when you miss it, but close enough that you can get back quickly if you really need to. I'd go for Manchester personally. But I know nothing about Sussex tbh.
    Good to hear your'e enjoying the fact that your'e a long way from home, I think the getting involved in lots of stuff approach sounds like a good one. The becoming more independent idea is a good point as well, and I do really like Manchester as a city. Did you find that lots of your friends at uni went home a lot and left without much to do (I've heard some people who can't get home easily having this problem)? Thanks for your advice
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, I agree about it being a personal thing. I think I am okay with being far away, but my brother finds a lot of his uni friends go home lots at weekends meaning weekends can be boring at uni. Is that something you found?
    Not at all, barely anyone went home at weekends. Manchester would have plenty for you to do at weekends

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear your'e enjoying the fact that your'e a long way from home, I think the getting involved in lots of stuff approach sounds like a good one. The becoming more independent idea is a good point as well, and I do really like Manchester as a city. Did you find that lots of your friends at uni went home a lot and left without much to do (I've heard some people who can't get home easily having this problem)? Thanks for your advice
    I didn't really Most of my friends stayed on campus the entire semester, though they mostly lived quite far away also. The ones that lived closer went home now and then, but not too often. That's another thing aswell, if you make a lot of friends from further afield, they'll probably always there. I have a feeling that Manchester would draw a wider range of people, since it is more globally known and larger I suspect there are more EU/internationals there, plus the reputation of it would probably mean that more UK students from further afield would be inclined to go there, for example someone I know a lot of people from back in Ireland who go to/went to Manchester (the rep of the uni and the large city are big attractions), I suspect, the student population of Sussex would have a higher percentage of local students (within a couple of hours away) than Manchester would...though that is just based on thinking logically and the fact I know a fair few people at Manchester uni. I guess it all comes down to who you happen to fall into friendship with and what your extracurricular activities are. If you find your friends are leaving regularly at the beginning, then it would be a good idea to make more friends who stick around more often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    I didn't really Most of my friends stayed on campus the entire semester, though they mostly lived quite far away also. The ones that lived closer went home now and then, but not too often. That's another thing aswell, if you make a lot of friends from further afield, they'll probably always there. I have a feeling that Manchester would draw a wider range of people, since it is more globally known and larger I suspect there are more EU/internationals there, plus the reputation of it would probably mean that more UK students from further afield would be inclined to go there, for example someone I know a lot of people from back in Ireland who go to/went to Manchester (the rep of the uni and the large city are big attractions), I suspect, the student population of Sussex would have a higher percentage of local students (within a couple of hours away) than Manchester would...though that is just based on thinking logically and the fact I know a fair few people at Manchester uni. I guess it all comes down to who you happen to fall into friendship with and what your extracurricular activities are. If you find your friends are leaving regularly at the beginning, then it would be a good idea to make more friends who stick around more often.
    That would definitely make sense about Manchester and the amount of people visiting home often (my brother has the problem of his friends going home lots but that is probably because he is at quite a small uni). Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Go for Manchester

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.