Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VA173 - Tidy-up, Grammar and Spelling Amendment Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this amendment be passed?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    42.22%
    On the contrary, No
    35.56%
    Abstain
    22.22%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tidy-Up, Grammar and Spelling Amendment

Proposed by: Quamquam123 MP (LAB)
    Seconded by: Kay_Winters (LAB), cranbrook_aspie (SOC), CoffeeAndPolitics (LAB), SoggyCabbages (LAB), JoeL1994 (LAB)

Tidy-up, Grammar and Spelling Amendment

This House shall adjust the Guidance Document as follows:

Tidying-up Unnecessary Clauses

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 4 of the MPs section from:

4) As an MP you would be expected to attend all bill discussions and voting on bills, Failure to attend 2 consecutive votes or low voting turn out and the Speaker will contact the Party Leader and discuss your position as an MP.

to:

4) As an MP you would be expected to attend all bill discussions and voting on bills.

In the Guidance Document, amend 1 of the Party Leadership Elections section from:

1) Can be run by: the outgoing Leader, The Speaker or Deputy Leader.

to:

1) Parties can run leadership elections themselves or request the Speaker to run them.

In the Guidance Document remove clause 3 of the Party Leadership Elections section:

3) It is suggested the speaker follows the following procedure when running internal elections:
    • The Speaker will speak to the Section Leaders and be given control of the party so they have the Mass PM ability.
    • The Speaker will PM the party members and ask them to send a max 250 word manifesto stating why they should be party Leader to be submitted to them by a set deadline.
    • Once the deadline ends, the speaker will post a thread in the party subforum containing all the manifestos. There will be a 2 – 3 day period for the candidates to be asked questions by their fellow party members.
    • Once questioning has ended a poll will be put up containing all the candidates’ names and the RON (re-open nominations) option. This poll will be open for 4 days.
    • After the 4 days the results will be announced, the Speaker will have the group rights handed over to the new party Leader.

In the Guidance Document, remove clause 4 of the Government section:

4) Unless the Government appoints a specific minister to take on this responsibility, the minister responsible for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is responsible for liaising with the Model European Union, and shall represent the Model House of Commons within the Model European Union.

In the Guidance Document, remove clause 6 of the Bills section:

6) The Speaker will remind the submitters of the bill when they have 48 hours left to make decisions on whether a bill goes to another reading or to voting.

In the Guidance Document, remove clause 8 of the Bill Procedure section:

8) Items can be discussed by all members of the House of Commons.

In the Guidance Document, remove clause 6 of the Motions section:

6) The speaker will remind the submitter(s) of the motion when they have 48 hours left to make decisions on whether a motion goes to another reading or to voting.

In the Guidance Document, remove clause 9 of the Treaties section:

9) The treaty cannot be changed from the version approved in the MUN

In the Guidance Document, amend clauses 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the Motions of No Confidence against a Party Leader section from:

2) The Speaker must be notified by the person calling the motion of no confidence and someone to second it (both people must be members of the party).
    3) The Speaker will ask the administration team for administrative rights to the party subforum and send out a PM to all members informing them of the motion of no confidence.
    4) The Speaker will create a thread with the reasons for the motion of no confidence and add a poll; this poll will be open for 4 days and will decide the future of the Party Leader. (The poll will be a secret poll that will only display the results when it ends).
    5) If the vote goes in favour of the motion of no confidence, the Party Leader will be removed from power and the Deputy Leader will assume the position of Acting Leader. The Speaker will then run a party leadership election.

to:

2) Parties can run Motions of No Confidence themselves or request the Speaker to run them.
    3) Motions of No Confidence require someone to second them. This can be any member of the party.
    4) Where parties do not already have a procedure in place, Motions of No Confidence will proceed as follows: the returning officer will create a thread with the reasons for the motion of no confidence and add a poll; this poll will be open for 4 days and will decide the future of the Party Leader. The poll will be a secret poll that will only display the results when it ends.
    5) If the vote goes in favour of the motion of no confidence, the Party Leader will be removed from power and the Deputy Leader will assume the position of Acting Leader. The returning officer will then run a party leadership election.

In the Guidance Document, amend clauses 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the Prime Minister's Questions section from:

2) MPs can PM the Speaker questions to be put to the Prime Minister. These should, at least roughly, relate to government actions, policies, aims or ideals.
    3) By midnight two days before the chosen day, the Speaker should PM up to 8 questions to the Prime Minister. No more than one question should be from any single MP, except the Leader of the Opposition who may ask two. In the event of there being more than 8 questions for the Prime Minister, the Speaker should decide which 8 to send, but should aim to have questions from a range of parties and those from the Leader of the Opposition should take precedence.
    4) The Prime Minister should answer the questions by PM to the Speaker by 5pm on the chosen day, ready for the evening update, when the Speaker should post them in the House.
    5) The thread will stay open for follow-up questions to the Prime Minister until the update the next evening. All members may ask a single follow-up question, except the Leader of the Opposition who may ask two.

to:

2) The Speaker shall put up the PMQs thread which will remain open until the update the following day.
    3) The Prime Minister may request for the thread to be open for up to 2 days longer.
    4) All members may ask a single follow-up question, except the Leader of the Opposition who may ask two.

In the Guidance Document, remove clause 3 of the Crisis Committee section:

(3) It would be at the Crisis Committee's discretion whether to work with the MUN to possible create other international scenarios. This could include a full-blown war or even stolen nuclear missiles.

Grammar and Spelling Corrections

In the Guidance Document, replace clause 5 of the General Elections section from:

5) The formal duration of an election will be 21 Days,

Day- The Prime Minister holds the authority to announce his/her intention to seek a dissolution on a particular date; as long as parliament does not expire in between.
    Day 0 – Election is called by the Prime Minister or the speaker if parliament has expired. A wash up period of seven days remains in place but no new 'threads' will be submitted to the speaker.
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos;
    Day 7 – All manifesto’s should have been received by the speaker who shall admit them subject to them meeting the criteria to stand. Who formally declares the previous parliament dissolved and shall remove all MP's from the Division Lobby Forum.
    Day 7 – The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos in the Model House Of Commons sub-forum and add a secret poll for 7 days with an option for each candidate/party and an option for “Spoilt Ballot”
    Day 14 – Results of the election are declared by the speaker, the speaker will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form any coalitions
    Day 21 – Details of formed coalitions are formally announced by the speaker who invites the leader of the largest coalition/party that fulfills article 6.1 to form a government and nominate a prime minister for appointment. The speaker invites the leader of the largest party that does not take part in the government and that fulfills article 7.1 to form a shadow ministry.
    Day 21 - The speaker formally declares parliament open and announces details of parliament's expiration date.

to:

5) The Prime Minister holds the authority to announce his/her intention to seek a dissolution on a particular date; as long as parliament does not expire in between.
    6) The formal duration of an election will be 21 Days:

Day 0 – Election is called by the Prime Minister or the Speaker if parliament has expired. A wash-up period of seven days will take place and the Speaker will not accept any new items.
    Day 0 – The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos.
    Day 7 – All manifestos should have been received by the Speaker who shall admit them subject to them meeting the criteria to stand. The Speaker will formally declare the previous parliament dissolved and shall remove all MPs from the Division Lobby forum.
    Day 7 – The Speaker will post a thread containing all manifestos in the Model House Of Commons subforum and add a secret poll for 7 days with an option for each candidate/party and an option for 'Spoilt Ballot'.
    Day 14 – Results of the election are declared by the speaker, the Speaker will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form any coalitions.
    Day 21 – Details of formed coalitions are formally announced by the Speaker who invites the leader of the largest coalition/party that fulfills article 6.1 to form a Government and nominate a Prime Minister for appointment. The Speaker invites the leader of the largest party that does not take part in the Government and that fulfills article 7.1 to form a Shadow Ministry.
    Day 21 - The Speaker formally declares parliament open and announces details of parliament's expiration date.

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 3 (Day 14) of the Speaker Elections section from:

Day 14 – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the run-off vote a candidate withdraws the run-off is re-ran between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The run-off may be reran a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three run-offs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.

to:

Day 14 – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the runoff vote a candidate withdraws the runoff is rerun between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The runoff may be rerun a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three runoffs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.

In the Guidance Document, amend the Other Elections section from:

The party or Speaker shall run any other elections as they see fit, this is entirely at their discretion.

to:

The party or Speaker shall run any other elections as they see fit; this is entirely at their discretion.

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 1 of the Party Formation section from:

1) If wanting to form a party, someone should put a thread in the main House of Commons forum spelling out their main principles.

to:

1) If wanting to form a party, someone should put a thread in the Model House of Commons forum spelling out their main principles.

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 2 of the Opposition Formation section from:

2) The opposition shall consist of a Leader of the Opposition and any number of Shadow Cabinet or shadow ministerial positions.

to:

2) The Opposition shall consist of a Leader of the Opposition and any number of Shadow Cabinet or shadow ministerial positions.

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 4 of the Bills section from:

4) The Speaker will then post the bill in the House of Commons forum on the day a bill is to go up for discussion (as stated in the Hansard).

to:

4) The Speaker will then post the bill in the Model House of Commons forum on the day a bill is to go up for discussion (as stated in the Hansard).

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 2 of the Polling Notes section from:

2) This does not extend to separate party sub-forums.

to:

2) This does not extend to separate party subforums.

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 2 of the Crisis Committee section from:

(2) It would be the job of this Crisis Committee to come up with hypothetical events for the TSR Government to act on and react to. This could include anything from Natural Disasters to Terrorist Attacks.*

to:

(2) It would be the job of this Crisis Committee to come up with hypothetical events for the TSR Government to act on and react to. This could include anything from natural disasters to terrorist attacks.

Notes:
    This amendment serves two purposes. Firstly, it removes redundant clauses that either have been never used or are no longer used and secondly, it corrects several grammatical and spelling errors.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This amendment does more than it says it does.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    There's sorting out spelling and grammar, there's removing completely unused or redundant sections, then there is rewording sections.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye. This amendment will help to tidy-up what is a rather outdated Guidance Document.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Aye. This amendment will help to tidy-up what is a rather outdated Guidance Document.
    And change it in doing so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    qfa
    I don't agree with a lot of the amendment (some pointless changes) but a lot of it effects what you do.

So the question is, do you as speaker want this amendment passed.

And yes.. you can have an opinion on guidance document matters.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't agree with a lot of the amendment (some pointless changes) but a lot of it effects what you do.

So the question is, do you as speaker want this amendment passed.

And yes.. you can have an opinion on guidance document matters.
    The grammatical/ spelling changes however minor; I would agree with

The sections about reminding submitter about when an item goes to cessation, reminding them- I agree with this amendment in removing it, as the submitter should be aware enough!

The sections on MONC and PMQ- I feel like we are loosing some of the structure that the GD gives us, and although it all runs smoothly at this time; you never know when down the future you will want these foundations that are in place! I wouldn't totally agree with these sections being amended.

If I were to vote, I would be abstaining on it, because of this!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

As per the above plus my general opinion on some things, bring it back in smaller sections.

ReputationRep:
    Good try, almost smashed that aye button, but no, grammar and spelling can be fixed without an amendment and you should have labeled all other changes properly.

If I were to vote, I would be abstaining on it, because of this!
    I believe you're not supposed to present your opinions on legislation proposals.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Good try, almost smashed that aye button, but no, grammar and spelling can be fixed without an amendment and you should have labeled all other changes properly.

I believe you're not supposed to present your opinions on legislation proposals.
    Speakers are able to present their opinions on constitutional and guidance document affairs. At one point they were even able to present and vote on said amendments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Speakers are able to present their opinions on constitutional and guidance document affairs. At one point they were even able to present and vote on said amendments.
    In that case I take that back, adam9317.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    In that case I take that back, adam9317.
    Not a problem

I wouldn't comment on anything that wasn't an amendment like this!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

I didn't think amendments were required for spelling and grammar so before I proposed this amendment I asked Adam and he said that an amendment would be necessary.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No.

Too much in one go, some of which are fundamental changes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, and I question how many people voting (for and against) have actually read it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    No, and I question how many people voting (for and against) have actually read it.
    To very roughly paraphrase Rand Paul, "If something is so long that I have not been able to read it in its entirety I will only vote against it, for I do not know what it is going to do and what might be being hidden within"
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    There's some good stuff in here to reflect actual practice, though whether the correction of capitalisation and semicolon errors needs to be brought before the House I do have to seriously question.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    There's some good stuff in here to reflect actual practice, though whether the correction of capitalisation and semicolon errors needs to be brought before the House I do have to seriously question.
    I didn't think an amendment would be necessary for grammar either but Adam suggested it would:

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I didn't think an amendment would be necessary for grammar either but Adam suggested it would:

Translation: I'm too lazy to fix the spelling and grammar

Saying that, changing grammar can mean changing meaning (and completely rewording bit certainly can mean changing meaning)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    x
    Need to know if TitanCream has already voted on this; it isn't public. I took over his seat.

Sorry, can't tag. Cheers

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.